Tomtom ONE LE - "waiting for a valid GPS signal..."

TomTom Model(s)
One LE
I just got the Tomtom ONE LE yesterday from Best Buy and it worked right out of the box (blister pack really), but unfortunately has had problems since then. Now it constantly says "Waiting for a valid GPS signal...", and sometimes (though rarely), catches a couple satellites to work for a minute or two. Did I get a bum unit that needs to be replaced because the antenna might be loose? I've tried resetting it and that didn't help. Unfortunately, I cannot access tomtom.com (a whole other issue) from my home computer to download any updates. I did read in one of the enclosed pamphlets that a best practice is to connect to Tomtom HOME once a week to get the latest satellite positions? Could this be the issue? I am still confused as to why it worked so well for my 15 minute drive home when I first got it, but never since...

Thanks,
Ahsan

This doesn't sound normal, but just be sure that you are outside with a clear view of the sky. And stay still. Even without the satellite update, it should get a lock within a few minutes.

Perhaps a reset with a paperclip might jolt it back into operation.

Got the same unit at BB yesterday and it did the same thing - worked for about an hour and then stopped with the searching for valid signal.

Came home, hooked up to the computer and there were 2 updates:

1) The Quick Fix database
2) An OS update

Installed them both and all has been working great since.

I'd try to get the updates - most likely they will fix your issue.

i also had the same problem and did the same thing that itguy05 did and now it works great!

the quickgpsfix must have solved the issue.

I have the same issue with TT ONE LE from BB. I purchased 3 units (1 is still on the box, 1 is working fine, and the other has issue).

I just finished performing the steps described above (update software) using TT Home. After re-starting the unit, the problem still exist.

Turned the Unit off.. Hit the reset button (paperclip). hold the on/off button for 2 seconds. NOte: I'm indoor at this time and waited for the Unit to get Satellite signal. It did.

I just came back - literally - 3 minutes ago from driving around the neighborhood to test the unit.

SO FAR, the unit is working. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW, Great site!!!:)

I reset, but it still doesn't work. I downloaded the fix and it didn't work either and TT customer service hasn't replied to my email at all. I'm really frustrated. Thinking about returning this to Best Buy.

Install TomTom Application for ONE New Edition (7.162) to correct problems

I got the TomTom One LE at Best Buy on Black Friday. I experienced the same problem with having to "reset" the device with a paper clip in order to get satellites and have the gps work.

TomTom support has been excellent (contrary to what I had previously read) and I am very pleased with the quick connect and accurate problem solving.

As others have noted on this forum, support had me install the "TomTom Application for ONE New Edition (7.162) available from TomTom Home (under "Manage Your TomTom" - "Install to TomTom"). It appears to have solved the problem.

I had previously used the "Quick GPS fix" for the TomTom One New Edition but that did not seem to solve the problem.

If you have any problems, I would recommend calling TomTom support. You will be very pleasantly surprised with the quick response and good support.

This is my first gps and I did not know anything about them when I purchased this. It seemed like a good price to see if I would like it. I do very little driving but I now do not want to leave home without it. It actually is very beneficial.

I bought a TOMTOM ONE in September 2007. It never had any problem untill last month. Now it has the same problem "waiting for a valid GPS signal...". I did connect it to TOMTOM home and updated it with all available free updates. But it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for your help.
jasen

When I operate the unit from the computer, it has very good signals and everything looks great. However, when it is disconnected from the computer, it is always "waiting for a valid gps signal...". Anyone has any idea? Thanks.

When connected to the computer, Home simulates satellite signals. If you are getting the 'waiting' message INSIDE a house, that is understandable. Take it outside in a clear area and try again.

Thanks for your reply.
I brought it outside and the unit still cannot receive any GPS signal. Actually, there is another unnormal thing with this unit. It take quite long, ~40 seconds or so, for the unit to start. Feels like it is rusted. Does it have anything to do with the humid weather of the place where I am stay at? As long as it is turned on, everything feels normal except no GPS signals...

Humidity shouldn't affect things (I think). Is your application up to date? Have you tried a reset of the unit?

Yes, the unit is up to date and I reseted the unit several times. But it could not solve the problem. Can it be a problem of the hardware, like the GPS signal receiver?

Last edited:
I kept the unit on outside stably for about half hour, and then it received some gps signals. It works properly for a while. However, the problem of "waiting for a valid gps signal..." comes back after I restarted the unit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question