TomTom One LE not working.terrible experience

I got my new TomTom One LE from Best Buy this black friday. Let me share that I have had a terrible experience getting it to work.

First out the box, the TomTom won't pick up any GPS signals. Eventually, I pressed the "Reset" button at the bottom. Afterwards, it picked up the Satellite immediately. However, after I turned it off and back on, I could not get any satellite information again. I had to press "Reset" each time to get the satellites to be receiving. I know that the satellites are working with the "(x)" circle under the "GPS status" is spinning and moving.

Anyway, after talking to TomTom support, they advised me to download the latest upgrade via TomTom home. so, I did. Now, we I turn on the TomTom, is says "Maps not found". I check the TomTom's storage and I see the USA_Canada maps there.

I don't know what to do? Has anyone experience this problem after upgrading the software? Has anyone experienced this problem of not getting satellites unless I stick a paper clip into the reset button?

Please help if you can.

I don't know what to do?

I'd call TomTom again and ask for a supervisor. After all it's a brand new unit and not working properly. Under the warranty it's TomTom's job to figure out how to make you happy... especially since taking their previous advice seemed to make things worse.

I'd call TomTom again and ask for a supervisor. After all it's a brand new unit and not working properly. Under the warranty it's TomTom's job to figure out how to make you happy... especially since taking their previous advice seemed to make things worse.

I have the same problem, with the same unit, after returnig the first one back to BB for same reasons, they replace it. And the second unit is doing the same thing, have to reset to pick up satellite:eek:. This time is going back to BB and getting my money back.

I also own a go700 and never had a problem with it:)

Finally fixed

Just letting everyone know that I spent 3hrs of my time to finally fix the problem.
Out of the box, my initial problem was that my TomTomOne would not retrieve satellite info unless I pressed the 'reset' buttom from the bottom.
Apparently, I had to download the latest software from TomTom.com/home to fix the issue. By the way, for some strange reason, TomTom.com is not available for customers using VersionDSL, so I had to use my dialup modem to connect.

Here are the details of the fix.

When I first connected, it asked for me to download the update for "Tom Tom One New Edition, TomTom One XL, TomTom...etc."). After installing this version, I connected to TomTom.com/home again (just to double check), and this time it asked me to download the upgrade for "TomTom One" only. After downloading this one, my TomTom gave the "no maps found" error. so, I went back to tomTom.com/Home, and it asked me to download the "tomtom One New Edition, TomTom One XL, TomTom .." (for 3 versions). Anyway, this version fixed the problem of the "no maps found" error. Now everything is back to normal. The satellites start working without needed the "reset" button and the all looks normal.

A word of advice is "BACKUP" your TomTom to a blank DVD-R disc. I noticed that many people had some memory corruption and their maps got 'lost'. I am lucky to have fixed the issue, but not after losing 3-4 hours of sleep. I hope this post can help other people.

By the way, for some strange reason, TomTom.com is not available for customers using VersionDSL, so I had to use my dialup modem to connect.

That is pretty strange. I've been using Verizon DSL and TomTom Home without any issues for the past couple weeks. I've read they had problems with their website during this period though.

On another board there has been a lot of discussion about this Best Buy issue. Evidently they had a bad batch of One LE's which a lot of people bought on Black Friday. According to one person, the bad units had software v 7.11 installed and the good ones had v7.13.

I got the TomTom One LE at Best Buy on Black Friday. I experienced the same problem with having to "reset" the device with a paper clip in order to get satellites and have the gps work.

TomTom support has been excellent (contrary to what I had previously read) and I am very pleased with the quick connect and accurate problem solving.

As others have noted on this forum, support had me install the "TomTom Application for ONE New Edition (7.162) available from TomTom Home (under "Manage Your TomTom" - "Install to TomTom"). It appears to have solved the problem.

I had previously used the "Quick GPS fix" for the TomTom One New Edition but that did not seem to solve the problem.

If you have any problems, I would recommend calling TomTom support. You will be very pleasantly surprised with the quick response and good support.

This is my first gps and I did not know anything about them when I purchased this. It seemed like a good price to see if I would like it. I do very little driving but I now do not want to leave home without it. It actually is very beneficial.

TomTom support has been excellent (contrary to what I had previously read) and I am very pleased with the quick connect and accurate problem solving.

Some people report drastically different experiences depending on whether they contacted U.S., U.K., or Canadian Support.

Which one helped you?

I had previously used the "Quick GPS fix" for the TomTom One New Edition but that did not seem to solve the problem.

"Quick fix" isn't intended to solve problems. It's a little file which tells the GPS where to look for the satellites in order to help it figure out where you are when you turn the unit on. Every couple days HOME will ask you to update this file.

"Quick fix" isn't intended to solve problems. It's a little file which tells the GPS where to look for the satellites in order to help it figure out where you are when you turn the unit on. Every couple days HOME will ask you to update this file.

When i first got my ONE LE, I downloaded the Quickfix file and it worked fine. Then for the next few days, it absolutely would not pick up a signal. In desperation, I deleted the quickfix file, and it's been strong ever since. Weird.

Ask a Question