TomTom ONE LE - battery life

How long are you able to operate your TT one LE or 3rd edition on battery power alone?

As a test I left my 3rd edition plugged in all night on my MP3 charger (wall adapter with mini USB out, 5V regulated at 1.2A). It's definitely fully charged (was already before I left it on charge last night)

Right now I've had my LE turned on for 40 mins and the battery bar is down to 50%. I'll update this post but it looks like I'll get 80mins to a charge.

So, does anyone get 2 hours? Or do you only get 2 hours if you have the screen shut down in between announcements?

I do have BT turned off BTW.

From a look at the innards it appears a larger lipo battery could have been fitted.

Dave

I tested my V3 against a NAV730 during a 3 hour trip. The NAV730 did more than 2 hours (close to 3 hours) and the V3 did a little more than 1 hr. Both were set to daylight (high brightness). The NAV730 is supposed to be 4 hours due to its specs.

I have not tested LE yet, but its battery seems run somewhat even faster than V3.

Update:

My LE has been sitting on my computer case turned on for the last 2.25 hours. It's not in my car (of course) and it's not making announcements, routing plans, screen changes (I have it on the status page to see the battery level). My battery level is quite low and is blinking.

So my initial guess of 80 mins was way off but I'm also guessing I'm not running a valid test since it's not in actual 'at intended' use.

Back on the charger it goes. Lipos don't like to be heavily discharged repeatedly.

Dave

my ttv3 will get me close to 3 hours,i was using trip master{that i got from a member here}it has a total duration and i was at 2 hours 45 mins and it wasnt in the red yet,pretty happy with batery life so far,hope it lasts.

Battery meter

It's kind of annoying that the battery meter starts to blink when it goes yellow. I kinda think that it shouldn't do that until it goes red. I can get almost an hour out of it from the time that that meter starts to blink.

It's kind of annoying that the battery meter starts to blink when it goes yellow. I kinda think that it shouldn't do that until it goes red. I can get almost an hour out of it from the time that that meter starts to blink.

I've been flying RC airplanes for over a year now, all running lipo batteries. I've got quite the collection of packs, cells and specialty chargers.

There's a regimen to getting the max life out of a pack and they are:
- don't overcharge
- don't overdischarge
- don't leave it charged up at 100% for storage (50% is recommended)
- don't pull too many amps out of the pack.

Being inside the TT, items 1, and 4 above you don't have control over.
Items 2 and 3 you do though. For max life it's not recommended to drain Lipos below 20% capacity remaining. I don't know at what capacity level the bar goes yellow or red, but to be on the safe side I wouldn't regularly drain it that low.

Battery care

So, I guess it would be safe to assume that maybe they designed the meter that way to blink when it should be plugged in. Thanks! I guess I'll start doing that!

I've been flying RC airplanes for over a year now, all running lipo batteries. I've got quite the collection of packs, cells and specialty chargers.

There's a regimen to getting the max life out of a pack and they are:
- don't overcharge
- don't overdischarge
- don't leave it charged up at 100% for storage (50% is recommended)
- don't pull too many amps out of the pack.
All false info!
the circuit protect battery from overcharge.
"overdischarge" never is problem for Li-on batteries.
"don't leave it charged up at 100% for storage" is sick, factory always charges battery " at 100% for storage"

All false info!
the circuit protect battery from overcharge.
"overdischarge" never is problem for Li-on batteries.
"don't leave it charged up at 100% for storage" is sick, factory always charges battery " at 100% for storage"

Huh?
Do some reading up on lithium polymer batteries before you make that statement.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm
"Built into each pack, the protection circuit limits the peak voltage of each cell during charge and prevents the cell voltage from dropping too low on discharge."
" Subject to aging, even if not in use - storage in a cool place at 40% charge reduces the aging effect."

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm
" Extreme low voltage must also be prevented. The safety circuit is designed to cut off the current path if the battery is inadvertently discharged below 2.50V/cell."
" Limit the time at which the battery stays at 4.20/cell. Prolonged high voltage promotes corrosion, especially at elevated temperatures."

Just one of the sites that mentions not going below 80% depth of discharge. Note that this has nothing to do with memory affect, just to get the max number of cycles out of you cells.
http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg-v17/ch30s09.html
"A LiPo battery should not be discharged below 80% capacity if possible because this stresses the cell and reduces the cell lifetime (number of charge/discharge cycles before cell capacity degrades significantly)."

Here's a chart showing degradation in lithium polymer cell capacity when stored at 40% and 100% charge.
http://www.buchmann.ca/Article9-Page1.asp
Scroll down to the table. A cell/pack stored at 100% charge level loses 40% of its capacity in 3 months vs the same pack only losing 25% over an ENTIRE YEAR at 40% charge level.

Manufacturers do not charge lipos to 100% for storage.

And my post did say that item #1 (overcharge) is not under user control since the TT takes care of that.

Here's the rest of my message that you didn't quote
Probedude said:
Being inside the TT, items 1, and 4 above you don't have control over.
Items 2 and 3 you do though. For max life it's not recommended to drain Lipos below 20% capacity remaining. I don't know at what capacity level the bar goes yellow or red, but to be on the safe side I wouldn't regularly drain it that low.

Last edited:
I agree with Probedude mostly.

The real question is: when TT shuts off, how much left? Most laptops shut down at about 15%. If TT is similar, then feel safe to use it until it shuts down itself. The battery meter is for you get a rough ideal how much left; when it is flashing and showing as empty, it may not be really empty.

My latest 'routine' is to use the TT ONE on battery power from work to home, then from home to work. I've been charging it on my desk during work hours.

My commute is ~ 50 mins one way.

Today I found the red battery bar blinking after only ~100 - 110 mins.

So perhaps intermittent usage doesn't get the max duration out of a charge vs using it all up from start to finish.

A few more trips and I'll know for sure.

Dave

80%?

Huh?

Just one of the sites that mentions not going below 80% depth of discharge. Note that this has nothing to do with memory affect, just to get the max number of cycles out of you cells.
http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg-v17/ch30s09.html
"A LiPo battery should not be discharged below 80% capacity if possible because this stresses the cell and reduces the cell lifetime (number of charge/discharge cycles before cell capacity degrades significantly)."

Wow, that's really interesting... Wonder how long it takes to discharge 20%
:confused:

people always wants to spread fake information about using battery!
many web sites are using false infomation as well!
the outdated knowledge only apples for Ni-CD battery.
Li-on battery no memory effect, charge it whenever, wherever needed! ,

Last edited:
people always wants to spread fake information about using battery!
many web sites are suing false infomation as well!
the outdated knowledge only apples for Ni-CD battery.
Li-on battery no memory effect, charge it whenever, wherever needed! ,

It's easy for anyone to come here and say, "people always wants to spread fake information about using battery!"

What are your qualifications for making such statements?

There's plenty of reputable information online about these types of batteries, yet you claim, "web sites are suing false infomation as well!"

Simply back-up your claims with some concrete facts.

Thanks!

Thanks Sparky! I don't know what to believe!!! What is involved in replacing the battery in a Tom Tom unit anyway? :confused:

Thanks Sparky! I don't know what to believe!!! What is involved in replacing the battery in a Tom Tom unit anyway? :confused:

No idea. I've disassembled & repaired plenty of cell phones, iPods, and laptops so I imagine this wouldn't be so bad.

The hardest part is the matter of getting it open without damage. The TT One 3rd Ed has Torx? head screws on the back so that's a big plus. With other models you might have to do some prying apart.

After it's open, you'll have to figure out the replacement size and hope it's readily available someplace. Maybe it just plugs in or maybe you have to solder the leads. But if you've come this far, I'd hope you'd know how to solder.**

"Batteries Plus" is a retail chain of stores that sells nothing else. They also replace batteries for you in devices like these, iPods, etc. Although I'd rather open it myself and just let them find the replacement.

**EDIT: So far, it looks like some TT batteries just have a little plug-in connector.

http://www.megacapacity.com/gps-tomtom.html

and some also come with a screwdriver...

http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=8230

Last edited:

Ask a Question