TomTom ONE lacks common sense!

TomTom Model(s)
ONE V4
I recently visited an old friend I had not seen in along time, he gave me his address and I entered it into my TomTom ONE to get me there, BIG MISTAKE, I was traveling on a major road when it told me to exit, it took me god knows where for 5 MILES and put me back on the SAME major road it told me to exit earlier, what the hell is that? I thought this thing was supposed to get me to my destination in the best possible route, and not send me for sightseeing tour. A similar problem occoured New Year's Day while I was coming home from a New Year's Eve gathering when it told me to exit the interstate, then it told me to enter the ramp on the other side ending up on the same highway I just came off. Are you kidding me? All my friends own Garmin GPS units and not one of them has dealt with such ridiculous nonsense, I guess you get what you pay for, so here's my solution, I'm going to DESTROY my TomTom ONE and ship it to the company with a nice little note, and then I'll go out and buy myself a new Garmin GPS.

I have seen that happen before. You have to remember it lacks common sense so you can't rely on it 100%. If I am going on a long trip that I have not been in the area before, I usually plot the route out on the computer before, or review the route on the unit. There are times where I have had to put in waypoints to avoid this from happening. Also it isn't just TomTom. I have owned several Garmin units (still own one) and have seen that happen there also. I would suggest that if you took the time to analyze the different variables that the unit considers in setting out a route you might come onto a reason.

J

I cant speak for a TT One, but my TT Rider2 has not done anything like that.

Just so you know (and maybe feel better), my pal has a Garmin Zumo 450 that has done what you describe on a number of occassions. Once it directed us (on a bike trip) to a back lane and into someones back yard!

I would suspect the higher priced models have better processors, and maybe dont run into your described problem.

Cheers!

I've only had my unit for about a week and I've already noticed that it will sometimes send me for a Sunday drive. The other day I was driving out to Vancouver. I would normally get off the freeway at either 1st Ave or Hastings street to go where I was going. Well the GPS told me to keep going past 1st (so I did), then it told me to go past Hastings too. By this point I was starting to get confused but I had time to spare so I followed the instuctions. It ended up taking me through the tunnel and told me to exit at McGill. Then once I'm on McGill it tells me to turn left and double back to Hastings Street. How does this make any sense at all?! Does the map not recognize the extra distance it sent me? It doesn't make sense.

If I want to leave my home going in an easterly direction it works just fine. If I want to go in a westerly direction it still tells me to go east then make a u-turn in about half a mile so I'm going west. :rolleyes:

One other possibility - you can also try disabling mapshare updates. One of the roads near here was marked as blocked (due to mapshare). It did used to be blocked due to construction. Telling it to ignore the mapshare updates got it to start routing correctly again.

One other thing I noticed with V8 maps and the IQ routing - it will often route me around congested areas during the day - even though its not really that congested - so I ignore it and go on anyway.

One other possibility - you can also try disabling mapshare updates. One of the roads near here was marked as blocked (due to mapshare). It did used to be blocked due to construction. Telling it to ignore the mapshare updates got it to start routing correctly again.

One other thing I noticed with V8 maps and the IQ routing - it will often route me around congested areas during the day - even though its not really that congested - so I ignore it and go on anyway.

Still, it sounds like TomTom and Tele Atlas are making significant progress with the new IQ routes and the speed profile information. Another step in the right direction!

It's not just TomTom that does this. On a drive from Florida to New York, look at the crap these maps have me do! These directions I posted below are a portion of the route from Mapquest. TomTom has me do pretty much the same damn thing when really, it's A LOT easier to just stay on I-95 most of the way, instead of going off, on, off, on, etc

CRAZYDIRECTIONS.jpg

Ask a Question