TomTom One III When is it in stores?

TomTom Model(s)
One New Edition
I was just about to buy a TomTom One II when I came across a few links on the web saying that the One III will be out in January (well, its Feb already).

I found this for example here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76494

Apparently it comes with an all new 1GB internal memory and 2 SD slots. Also new chip and probably some other stuff. And apparently it will cost the same than the ONE II does now.

Is it worth the wait? I just have a bad feeling that I might buy a ONE II today and tomo the ONE III is out!
On the other hand I don't wanna wait too long as I'm living a totally new and strange area to me and I contstantly have to drive to new places and get lost every single day. :(

Heres another article:

Global Locate, Inc.
John Romano, Director of Marketing Communications
(408) 371-0580 x235
(e-mail address removed)

Global Locate’s GPS Host-Based Architecture and Chip Solution Powers New TomTom ONE™

Leading Edge Technology Targets Portable Navigation Device Market

SAN JOSE, CA, Jan. 8, 2007 – Privately held Global Locate, Inc., (www.globallocate.com) a leading producer of A-GPS semiconductors and software, today announced that its Hammerhead™ GPS solution and software have been incorporated into TomTom N.V.’s (Amsterdam:TOM2.AS) portable navigation device TomTom ONE™.

Hammerhead, the industry’s first single die, single chip GPS solution, will begin shipping worldwide in the TomTom ONE™ in January 2007. In addition, Global Locate’s patented extended ephemeris technology known as Long Term Orbit (LTO™) will be made available through TomTom’s exclusive QuickGPSfix™ service to further enhance the navigation performance of TomTom’s devices.

Global Locate’s host-based, GPS architecture approach means that both the TomTom software application and the GPS chip and navigation software application share the same processor resources. The result is a highly integrated product solution that delivers superior turn-by-turn navigation performance for users. The host-based approach reduces system redundancy, avoiding the need for multiple CPUs, memory system and other costly components.

“Host-based GPS solutions are often perceived as being relevant only for the cellular handset market,” said Richard Najarian, Vice President of Sales and Business Development for Global Locate. “This new business initiative with TomTom shows that our solution delivers added value in other GPS product applications such as portable navigation devices, not just mobile phones.”

About Global Locate, Inc.
Global Locate, Inc. is a privately held company that provides GPS semiconductor products and software for Mobile-phones, Personal Navigation Devices and Networks. The company has more than 160 US & Foreign patents issued or pending, relating to GPS and Assisted-GPS (AGPS) technology and its product suite includes Hammerhead, the world’s first commercial single die GPS receiver. The company is headquartered in San Jose, with offices in the New York metropolitan area, Tokyo, Taipei and Madrid. For more information see www.globallocate.com

?2007 Global Locate, Inc. All rights reserved. Global Locate is a registered trademark, and Hammerhead and LTO are trademarks of Global Locate, Inc.

Media Contacts:
Kirsten Woodard or Elizabeth Villanueva
Global Results Communications (GRC)
(949) 608-0276
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

Last edited:
If previous form is anything to go by, it will come out here in Europe before the US. There is no sign of it here yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

The ONE NE is a great device anyway, you won't be disappointed.

Honestly I think the 1gb internal memory is awesome. I tend to have only 0.1-0.6MB free at any given time. My unit seems to run ok (although it's reset itself while in route twice now for no apparent reason.)

You'd think though that with more internal memory, the unit would run smoother.

Thoughts?

fanchee, maybe YOU should get a GPS device for your MACtop/iBook and install Navigator 6 on that... ;)

My dream is that the iPhone will have GPS capabilities. Now THAT would rock!!

Ok, I bought a TomTom One New Edition yesterday.
If a new comes out soon and is a lot better, well then this one goes on ebay.

Do need to update anything on it now?
Apparently the maps are still ok but what about the OS?
Couldnt find ayn info whatsoever on the TomTom page about that.

my version is: 6.501 OS 1343 GPS 1.21 Boot 4.81

whew.. you're missing two updates haha.. 6.52 and 6.56.

Just connect it, turn it on and run HOME. It'll download the updates for you.

when you plug your TT to your computer (and turn it on), search the drive via My Computer (if you're on a PC).

Inside the TT drive, there should be a folder that's called ephermis (or similar. I don't remember the exact spelling). This folder is your QuickGPSFix folder.

Updates are about once a week. This week's update seems better than last weeks.

Ok, I bought a TomTom One New Edition yesterday.
If a new comes out soon and is a lot better, well then this one goes on ebay.

Do need to update anything on it now?
Apparently the maps are still ok but what about the OS?
Couldnt find ayn info whatsoever on the TomTom page about that.

my version is: 6.501 OS 1343 GPS 1.21 Boot 4.81
What's your MAPS version? Should be v655.xxxx if not order your FREE update DVD NOW, cuz it could be a LONG wait at the promo end next month!

when you plug your TT to your computer (and turn it on), search the drive via My Computer (if you're on a PC).

Inside the TT drive, there should be a folder that's called ephermis (or similar. I don't remember the exact spelling). This folder is your QuickGPSFix folder.

Updates are about once a week. This week's update seems better than last weeks.

When you open/start HOME, if there is a QuickGPSFix, it will wnload and install automatically... but tell you about it too.

If it doesn't inform you about a new QuickGPSfix, you can turn on virtual TT and download it in one of the menus.

I believe they update a new QuickGPSFix every sunday.

What's your MAPS version? Should be v655.xxxx if not order your FREE update DVD NOW, cuz it could be a LONG wait at the promo end next month!

Thanks a lot for the tip!
my map version is: UK and Ireland v 660.xxx so it should be ok!

The free DVD update is only for North America.

The update for Europe from what I hear is not even worth it. Anybody know if this is true?

Ask a Question