TomTom ONE Generation 3 - Features/Differences/Improvements

I got mine from Circuitcity in Tacoma Washington. It has the green box with US-Canada on it. It won't boot up without the sd card. I can't find anywhere its shows the 1GB internal memory. TT home boots up with, "welcome to TTOne New Edition..." and shows V4.

l_5fee7c758dbd1ef952a0e6e87e636e21.jpg

So, which one do i have?

Look at the bottom of the device, if you have the SiRF logo under the Bluetooth logo you have a v2. If it is missing you have a v3.

You can see here for a picture of the difference - Link.

I don't doubt that i have the v2, because i have the sirf logo and sd card.

Did the newest v2s ship out with 660. maps like mine and whats with TThome showing v4?

The 'older' v2 shipped with 660 maps. The new ONE without the Sirf chip apparently ships with the new maps v665.

Can someone answer with authority that you can put the North America maps on an SD card and use them with the new ONE?

I don't doubt that i have the v2, because i have the sirf logo and sd card.

Did the newest v2s ship out with 660. maps like mine and whats with TThome showing v4?

You have the v2 because v3 doesn't use the SirfIII chip. If you loock at PRAXXUS pictures of the retail box no SiRFIII logo appear beside the Tele Atlas logo.

TT HOME shows a lot of misinformation. As you can see, mine also shows v4 but is totally incorrect (as well as Boot and Time).

tthomeversion.jpg

North America maps on newest ONE

The 'older' v2 shipped with 660 maps. The new ONE without the Sirf chip apparently ships with the new maps v665.

Can someone answer with authority that you can put the North America maps on an SD card and use them with the new ONE?

I can. I just picked up a ONE over the weekend, and it was the newest (internal memory) model. It doesn't come with any DVD containing maps, but I also own Navigator 6 and purchased the 665 US maps for it, so have that DVD.

I put a 4GB SD card (non-SDHC) into the ONE and loaded the North_America (1.2G or so) map to the SD card via HOME. I activated the map using the ONE's product code and everything works just fine. I had no problems whatsoever doing this.

Even though the ONE didn't come with the North_America map, I'm guessing that since it is licensed for NA maps it's legit to do this. Works fine regardless.

My feeling is that by doing this, I've got 2GB+ free on the SD card for other region maps, should I need them at some point.

Mark

Thanks for replying Mark. Another question I have with the new internal memory model, when you are using the North America maps, how much free RAM does it say you have? Mine is always somewhere around 0.3mb to 0.1mb free. Just curious if this model has more free RAM. Thanks.

Mine reports 3.5MB free after first boot up, and goes down a bit over a few minutes to 3.3MB free. This is with a "stock" ONE with no add-ons.

Mark

Look on the bottom of the device, on the left side of the SD card slot, you'll see some logos. It you find the SiRFStarIII logo you have TT1 gen 2 (32MB internal memory). :eek:

Mine reports 3.5MB free after first boot up, and goes down a bit over a few minutes to 3.3MB free. This is with a "stock" ONE with no add-ons.

Mark
so it uses up the same amount of RAM as our V2 models then...

since 3.3-3 = 0.3 which is what fanchee said.

If you're wondering where I got "3" from, it's because you have 32MB of RAM and we have 29MB so the difference is 3MB.

Question regarding maps. TT1 gen3 comes with US/Canada pre-installed. Why do you want the North American map, which you have to pay and activate, when the US/Canada map is already provided? :confused:

Question regarding maps. TT1 gen3 comes with US/Canada pre-installed. Why do you want the North American map, which you have to pay and activate, when the US/Canada map is already provided? :confused:
It's 1.4GB vs. 8xxMB. The NA maps has more detail and POIs than USA_and_Canada.

so the question is what is the benefit of the internal memory? If you load the NA maps, you'd need a 2Gig card and the unit would be running off of that anyway? It's not like the unit shares the memory, right?

Does the NA map have enough detail to justify buying a 2GB card to use it over the US/Canada map? I've only used my v4 for one long trip so far, and it was accurate 90% of the time (went a little nuts on a long stretch of highway, urging me to make my way out of the middle-of-nothingness I was in on the screen and back onto the highway for several minutes until it righted itself). It also wanted me to turn the wrong way on a street of my destination, which would've taken me down a dirt road -- used the ol' common sense to do the opposite and make it to my destination. I also noticed on the highway that it was curving along with the actual road, but it was either showing exits that weren't there, or not showing exits that were there -- and this isn't a new highway with new exits or closed exits. This was in somewhat rural Arkansas, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Any idea of the NA map would help with this or any other trips in the future?

BTW -- other than the map glitches and the occasional questionable route, this thing is awesome.

Last edited:
Also, by having a 1GB internal flash, it seems that TT really wants to limit the amt. of info available on ONE maps.

It seems like it. The next largest map would be the NA maps which is 1.4GB but they want to leave that for the TT910 ;)

Does the NA map have enough detail to justify buying a 2GB card to use it over the US/Canada map? I've only used my v4 for one long trip so far, and it was accurate 90% of the time (went a little nuts on a long stretch of highway, urging me to make my way out of the middle-of-nothingness I was in on the screen and back onto the highway for several minutes until it righted itself). It also wanted me to turn the wrong way on a street of my destination, which would've taken me down a dirt road -- used the ol' common sense to do the opposite and make it to my destination. I also noticed on the highway that it was curving along with the actual road, but it was either showing exits that weren't there, or not showing exits that were there -- and this isn't a new highway with new exits or closed exits. This was in somewhat rural Arkansas, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Any idea of the NA map would help with this or any other trips in the future?

BTW -- other than the map glitches and the occasional questionable route, this thing is awesome.

I would have to say so. It sounds like you have the 2006 map update but just don't have the storage capacity to install the NA maps. Assuming you have the DVD, you already purchased the NA maps along with many other maps so purchasing a 2GB SD card (which is pretty inexpensive right now) would be worth your while.

As far as routing that would depend on your area. If you do a search there are people on both sides of the fence where they do see improvment in their area (roads that were not on the previous version are now showing) or don't see an improvement (roads having an unamed status).

I should also point out that the NA maps have more POI categories than the USA/Canada.

Ask a Question