TomTom ONE Generation 3 - Features/Differences/Improvements

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE v3
Ok, after playing around with the new TT1 v3 (1GB internal) I figured we need a new thread dealing specifically with TT1 v3. :D

Here's what I found so far;

1. The box looks almost identical to the TT1 v2, except for the absence of the SiRFStar III logo on the back of the box. Also the Technical specification states "Internal Memory: 1GB". It does say that there is 32MB RAM-266MHz CPU, but the box does not include any SD card! I posted pictures of the box including close-ups somewhere on this forum, I think the thread title was 'TT1 no longer available in Canada' (?). :rolleyes:

2. When booting up the unit for the first time, the start-up splash screen and basic interface is the same as the TT1 v2, however, I'm suspecting that there is some differences in the main menu, as I could scroll several pages and now it only has 2. I'm not sure, as I don't have the v2 to compare. :confused:

3. Also, note that the unit comes with the latest version of US/Canada Map pre-installed (v665.1293), and latest OS (v6.56). :D

4. When connecting to the computer via USB, I noticed a change to the small flashing logo when the TT1 communicates with the computer. On the old TT1 v2 it was a small flashing blue book with white TomTom hand logo. Now it is a small flashing blue disc drive logo. Once connected for the first time, it asks for communication rights to TomTom HQ and then notifies of new updates (QuickGPSfix and Phonebook (??)), not sure what the Phonebook download is...any ideas. Looking at the installed items I see the usual stuff, voices, maps (USA/Canada, Guam), and Europe Satellite image, but the lack of the North American Satellite image...not sure if it's on the enclosed CD or not, I'll have to check.

5. So the question now remains, if the unit comes with 1GB internal memory and all the maps, voices, etc are installed in there, what is the SD slot for and how do you access data between the two memory areas, in other words how do you access internal memory and SD memory? After disconnecting, the unit from the PC and installing my old 2GB SD card to see what happens the system immediately boots off the SD card NOT the internal memory!! :eek: As the old modified splash screen was booted and the old US/Canada map activation code request was presented. Since the old map was used on the old TT1 v2 and activated using the old units device code, it would not allow me to boot past the map activation screen, unless I authorize the map with new codes :mad: Assumption: The TT1 upon boot-up searches the SD card slot 1st for working boot-records, if that fails it then checks internal memory for boot records. Therefore, you could make a copy of all internal memory information, copy it to the external SD card, delete all data in the internal memory, boot off the SD card and use 1GB of free internal RAM for the OS :rolleyes: Also, inserting a blank SD card with, lets say, videos to play using Media Centre, how would you tell the TT1 to access data located in that directory? Perhaps, new version of software have to be written to give the option to look for data in other memory resources. As I write, I'm making disc images of the SD card and the internal memory before tinkering any further. :D

Final thought, with 1GB of internal memory and the option of booting off either internal or external memory opens up new ways to manage data and more specifically system resources (memory). Question is, does the internal memory work faster than the external SD card for data access? Time for field tests on that subject - anyone... :D

UPDATE 2007.04.10:
Made disk images (master) of old SD card with TT1 v2 system and new TT1 v3 internal system. I was wondering if the boot sequence is related to the volume name of the SD card. While formating the SD card, I wondered if keeping the original 'TomTom' volume name or changing it would effect boot sequence. I'll try changing the volume name to something else and see if that has any effect. I'll copy the contents of internal memory to the SD card, delete the internal memory to free up system memory resources and try running the system from the SD card al la TT1 v2.

UPDATE: 2007.04.10:
Formated SD card and installed in TT1, booted TT1 and got error message (picture of TT1 with SD card and red 'X" through it) looks like the SD card will only work with a valid system on it, no blank SD cards allowed. Therefore, TT1 boot sequence is; look for SD card boot record, if no SD card, look for boot record on internal. If SD card is installed and no boot record, display error page! So, now lets try copying the contents of the internal memory to the SD card, wipe the internal memory (freeing up 1GB for system resources) and boot off SD card. Quick note: current internal free memory is 3.8MB - booting from internal. - will post update with pics later.

UPDATE: 2007.04.11
The image below shows the TT1v3 system resources and app versions booted from the 1GB internal memory.
Note the amount of memory FREE (3.8MB). No external SD Card installed. This is stock TT1 v3.

Assumption: If deleting the contents of the 1GB internal memory and booting off external SD card. Will the TT1 v3 recognize 1GB free memory?

I backed-up in multiple area the contents of the 1GB internal memory. I formated the 1GB internal memory, and inserted the external 2GB SD card with the contents (data) from the internal memory. Booted the TT1v3 from external, and accessed the resources info page. See image below.

Notice that the FREE memory heap remains the same:eek: :confused: If the TT1v3 is using internal memory for system resources why after freeing up more than 32MB does it not access that extra memory? :confused: Is there something within the TT1v3 application itself that locks the amount of resource memory to only 32MB? If so, perhaps the tt1v3 has a slightly modified version of the OS to take into consideration the 1GB internal memory, if so, then loading the OS from TT1v2, may access ALL the 1GB internal memory. I have a backup of the old TT1v2 system, but the map wont work (activation code issue from another unit). How do I copy the map from the TT1v3 system onto the TT1v2 system and activate it for t his unit? anyone help :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. It would've been nice if there was a screen asking which data source we'd like to boot so we can just leave the SD card in the slot.

Why would it have Europe and not NA sat image?

Thanks for the update. It would've been nice if there was a screen asking which data source we'd like to boot so we can just leave the SD card in the slot.

Why would it have Europe and not NA sat image?

Not sure...but where do I get NA sat image to install, I'd hate to break the seal on my new TT1 CD to find out it's not there.

I'll do a screen capture of the installed files before wiping the internal memory. ;)

Question: Before I wipe the 1Gb internal memory...if I need to reload/restore the OS/data, how do I do that? Assuming that the 1GB memory is wiped, how will the TT1 connect to the PC without a minimum boot sequence?

Not sure...but where do I get NA sat image to install, I'd hate to break the seal on my new TT1 CD to find out it's not there.

I'll do a screen capture of the installed files before wiping the internal memory. ;)
it'll be off the disc. At bottom you can see US, Europe and I think there's even the Australian satellite image. Just check the box and click INSTALL at the top of the HOME app.

Do a backup via HOME or just copy the entire contents to your desktop or a folder somewhere on your computer's HDD.

Question: Before I wipe the 1Gb internal memory...if I need to reload/restore the OS/data, how do I do that? Assuming that the 1GB memory is wiped, how will the TT1 connect to the PC without a minimum boot sequence?

That's a good question and I don't think many people can answer that as very few people have the v3 unit.

I would assume that if the internal memory were to be wiped out that the PC would recognize it as just a removable hard drive (much like any usb key) at which case you should be able to restore the contents of the internal memory. Again, I'm just assuming.

PRAXXUS, welcome.

Do your unit come with a DVD also? I am wondering how you can install the North America map on your device since it needs about 1.4 GB and will not be able to install onto the internal memory. You will need to install it on a 2GB SD card. the North America map has much more POI and other details than the US&Canada map.

PRAXXUS, welcome.

Do your unit come with a DVD also? I am wondering how you can install the North America map on your device since it needs about 1.4 GB and will not be able to install onto the internal memory. You will need to install it on a 2GB SD card. the North America map has much more POI and other details than the US&Canada map.

CD Part # 3N00.100.2
Label: TomTom HOME Software & User Manual

NA maps can be installed on external 2GB/4GB SD card and boot off the SD card.

The HOT question right now is, how to get the TT1v3 to use the full 1GB internal memory as system RAM while booting off the external SD card.

Attention Moderators:

There seems to be confusion with the naming convention used to describe the latest offering of the TomTom ONE "New Edition" 1GB :confused:

First thing we need is a better name to call it! :rolleyes: The second TT ONE to be released (AKA the "New Edition") was actually called the "v3" (there was no "v2" ever released). THIS model with the 1GB internal memory refers to itself as the "v4". Although this is physically the third (3rd) version or, in keeping with iPOD tradition, 3rd Generation of the TomTom ONE. Perhaps it should be referred to as TT1 Gen3 or TT1 g3.

I'm wondering if the Moderators can change the title of this thread to more accurately describe this "new" TT1g3, or perhaps a poll to the forum members as to how to refer to the 3rd version/generation of the TT1. :D

The original TT ONE v1 was sold only in Europe (all black - I bought mine in France last summer). The first model to be sold in North America was v2 (with the SD card). And now we have v3 (internal memory).

The second TT ONE to be released (AKA the "New Edition") was actually called the "v3" (there was no "v2" ever released).

I believe that statement is a little bit inaccurate. This is how I always understood the version numbering so please correct me if I am mistaken. There are a couple things that needs to be pointed out here. The "v2" and "v3" are used synonymously describing the actual device you have and what the HOME application describes as being the device. I am going to attempt to explain why there is this confusion.

1. The first TomTom ONE was released in Europe (picutred below)
front_view.jpg

This is considered to be v1.

2. The term "New Edition" actually describes 3 units. There is TomTom ONE New Edition (Europe - box pictured on the left), TomTom ONE New Edition (Regional - box pictured on the right), and now the TomTom ONE New Edition (containing the internal 1GB mem)

box_1399.jpg
box_1400.jpg

Obviously there is a difference between the TomTom ONE and the TomTom ONE New Edition which is the design (among other things) hence the name 'New Edition'. (Pic Below)
TomTomONENY2-thumb.jpg

So what's the difference between Europe and Regional 'New Edition'?
The Europe edition is equipped with Navteq maps and when connected to HOME it is recognized as v2. The Regional edition is equipped with Tele Atlas maps and when connected to HOME it is recognized as v3. However, they both are the same device, sharing the same hardware specs.

As a whole the device is considered v2 because the Europe and Regional device only differ in maps. Same hardware and design. It is the HOME application that makes the distinction between v2 and v3. Here is the press release describing the two units. Link.

3. The TomTom ONE New Edition with the 1GB internal memory and Hammerhead Chip is considered v3 (recognized as v4 when connected to HOME due to the fact v2 and v3 are already taken) because of those two changes just mentioned. The confusing part is the Europe, Regional, and the current v3 all have the same design.

So as you can see there really are 3 versions of the TomTom ONE. It's the HOME application that gives us v2, v3, and v4 mess.

I will change the thread title because you requested it.

Anyway, this topic is open for debate.

EDIT: as a side note, my TT1 box is green and has the word US-Canada. I don't know what that could mean.

Last edited:
See the 1st post in this thread, it will show you close-up photos of what to look for when deciphering TT1 gen2 and TT1 gen3 models.

Picked mine up at Futureshop on Broadway, in Vancouver. Got the last one, they sold out in 3 days! Not sure when the next shipment will be arriving...

Picked mine up at Futureshop on Broadway, in Vancouver. Got the last one, they sold out in 3 days! Not sure when the next shipment will be arriving...
They have a fairly good supply but yeah, they said they always sell out.

Ask a Question