TomTom One - "Device Not Recognized"

Hi there,

I have just purchased my nice shiny new TomTom - and I can't get it to work properly. :(

I can turn it on, and it boots up beautifully. It can connect to a GPS and show the maps around about here, but I can't get it to connect to a computer. I have tried it on three different computers - one with XP, one with Vista, one with Windows 7 - and I get the same message each time.

What I do:
I plug it in to the USB.
I turn it on.
TT says: Do you want to connect to a computer? Yes No
I select YES
The computer thinks about accepting the connection.
Then I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" message.

I also have a message telling me the drivers weren't installed properly, but no option on how to fix this.

I have tried the soft reset.
I have tried turning it on first and the plugging it in.

I've had a bit of a hunt around both on Google and on this site, and I realise I'm not the first to have this problem, but I can't seem to work out how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It's a TomTom One n14644 Canada 310.
At least, that is what the sticky lable on the bottom of the device says.

The soft reset I was referring to was holding the power button for ~15 seconds and watching it go through the (DOS like) setup before going to the maps.

Thanks for pointing me to that link. I have followed the steps that have been relevant to me and tried to link it up through the device manager. The message I am getting there is that it is an "unknown device" and
"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

When I do the troubleshooting the message I get is "Unknown Device is not working properly"

So does this mean my TomTom is cactus? or is there a really simple user error involved that I'm not seeing?

Well, if you just bought it, then I'd return it for a different one. This shouldn't be happening.

I'm having the same problem and it totally sucks. Wondering if you finally got it to work yet?

I'm having no such luck and I've literally read every thread and googled anything and everything that could help our problem and coming up empty handed.

What version of Windoze are you running on the PC and if possible try connecting the USB lead to a socket on the rear of the computer, avoid using a USB hub such as a connection via the monitor or keyboard - Mike

I've got the GO720 and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my laptop so unfortunately I don't have any USB ports on the back of the laptop.

I want to call TT Support but my warranty expired and they won't do anything to help.

Do you have access to any other PC that is running XP or even Vista to try it with, I appreciate some users have Windows 7 working with their TomTom devices but others have been reporting issues, it could be something as simple as a missing file in the Win 7 install but no way to know for sure - If you can get it connected on another PC at least we know the faults with the install on your Laptop and not the device - Mike

Kk, thanks for the advice. I'll try to get my hands on a computer running XP or Vista sometime this week and report back =]

I've got the GO720 and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my laptop so unfortunately I don't have any USB ports on the back of the laptop.

I want to call TT Support but my warranty expired and they won't do anything to help.

Just because your unit is out of warranty does not mean you can't call customer support.

TomTom usb device not reconised

My TomTom was working fine, then I upgraded to windows 7, and it was no longer recognised by the computer. The solution was to press the reset button on TomTom. No data was lost, and it now connects with no problems.

Hey sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys in a while. I just got a hold on my friend's and boyfriend's computers and my TT still isn't being recognized. They're running Windows Vista and Windows XP. So I don't know what the problem is.

I've tried the pin reset a hundred times and I even did a factory reset but to no avail.

I guess I'll try to call customer support and get back to you.

Thanks for all the help.

Sounds like a hardware fault. Try another USB cable (you don't need the Tomtom dock, any USB cable will work). If that doesn't work, see if dirt is lodged somewhere in the USB jack.

Otherwise, the 720 can run everything off of an SD card. You could get an SD card, use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto it, stick it in the Tomtom, and turn the Tomtom on. Once powered on the Tomtom will add more files onto the SD to identify itself. Then you can insert the SD into a card reader and update it as if you were updating a plugged in Tomtom.

I have a tomtom one 130 that has installed driver and shows up in the device manager but not in home or the "my computer" window I also have tried various methods when I got my tomtom I had windows vista and it worked with that but now I have windows 7 64 bit and nothing so I hope there is a fix somewhere that someone can help with this problem also on the web site it only shws windows xp or vista or mac as the tomtom home software

Replied to your similar post in another thread. Try running Home in XP compatible mode.

Rand56,

Have you attempted to install and run the Tom Tom software in compatibility mode or XP Mode? Also, prior to migrating to Windows 7 from Windows XP did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

To determine if your current computer configuration will be compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Another resource to verify compatibility is available at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center located at the following link: Windows 7 Compatibility Center home

To learn more about XP Mode and Virtual PC please see the following link: Download Windows XP Mode

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Welcome to TTF, Jessica.

We do seem to have some users running into issues with the Home/Windows7 64 bit combination.

Anything you can do to assist will be appreciated.

Oh, and do you have a TomTom yourself? :)

(or just using some software to search the net for keywords? :confused: )

same issue

Hi guys, I have the same issue. I'm running a W7 Pro-64 bit and I get the "USB not recognized" prompt as well. TomTom tried to tell me o fix it this way....

Thank you for updating the incident.

I understand when you connect your TomTom device; it is not recognized by the computer. We understand the frustration such an issue might cause.

I am here to assist you and will certainly try my best to resolve the issue.

This issue normally occurs, when TomTom HOME or computer is unable to detect the device connected to the computer.

In order to resolve this issue, kindly follow the below instructions.

1) Perform a soft reset on the device. I understand that you have already performed a soft reset on the device. However, I would recommend you to perform it again as we are going to start with new set of instructions. This will reconfigure TomTom application on the device. Here is the link, which has the information on how to perform a soft reset:

How to soft-reset my navigation device

Open the above webpage and select your device from the drop down list. Once you select the device, you will be able to find the steps to perform a soft reset on the device.

2) After that Download the Registry Cleaner from the following link:

http://tomtom.com/lib/img/cs/S4S/files/RemoveRegEntries_TTGOv1.exe

When running this program, a window will open for only 1 second, removing the USB registry entries of the TomTom device from the computer.

3) After that re-connect the device to the computer and restart the computer. After that turn on the device. Make sure that the green light on the TomTom device turn on, when it is connected to desktop. This will help the computer to recognize the new hardware.

3) If the issue persists, then I would recommend you to try the step-by-step instructions on our website:

Device not connecting to computer

Once you open the above webpage, start with the troubleshooting steps mentioned under ?Device not responding?. If the issue persist then go further with the remaining two options ?Device not recognized by HOME? and ?Device not recognized by computer?. These steps normally fixes such kind of issues.

4) Also try it on another computer to check, whether we are experiencing issues with the device or USB Cable.

After following the above steps, if your device is able to recognize TomTom HOME, then update the latest map through TomTom Home. Here is the link, which has the detailed information on how to update it:

Updating application on device

Try the above instructions and if the issue persists then please provide me with the following information.

1) Do you receive any error message, when you connect the device to the computer?

2) Since when you are experiencing this issue?

3) Complete system information.
a. Open TomTom HOME.
b. Select 'Help' from the top left hand corner of the screen.
c. Click on 'System Information'
d. Click on [Copy to Clipboard].
e. Paste the information into a reply email.

It did not help me and I still cannot update the system. Any clues? My drivers are up to date.

Does your device show up as anything at all when you view "My Computer"? It needs to look like an external drive, but if it's not showing up as anything, that's another story.

In Device Manager, do you see any 'unknown' or non-functional USB devices?

Ask a Question