TomTom one 3rd problems

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom one 3rd edition
Today my USB cable arrived which I had ordered a couple of weeks ago.

First thing I done was download the TomTom home software off the Tom Tom website. Once I had downloaded the software and then started the program up automatically being prompted to an update screen. I proceeded with the update all of a sudden I got an error message :mad: NOT ENOUGH SPACE!!!!
Shortly after I clicked on fewer thing and I was still unable update as I recived a ttgo.bf error.

This was very annoying I then began to research on google reading peoples comments and came to the conclusion that in order to get rid of corrupt data I needed to reinstall the whole TOM TOM. To do this I backed up the files and formatted the TOM TOM to Fat 32 this didn't work so I used the Fat. Both ended up not working :mad:

Drive could not be formatted properly.

I now cannot access the drive whilst the Tom Tom device is plugged in nore can i use the Tom Tom software.

Can you help me?

It no longer asks you do you want to connect your device to your PC.

This happened after the TomTom drive failed at being formatted.

I have backed up all the files on my PC I just can't access the Tom Tom drive to copy and paste the files :mad:

I think I may need to reinstall the Drivers trying to run my Tom Tom device...

Trying to work out how to do it now

In Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Device Management, does it show the TomTom as a drive?

Im on it now and it shows the following

Tom Tom one (v6)

I just done a format using the disk management and it failed

Can you assign it a different drive letter?

Have you tried chkdsk/ f on the drive?

Ill try and plug the device in the back.

I used both ports in the front they both have came up as the J drive :confused:

I have a wireless adapter plugged into the other usb port in the front to move that ill need the disk.

Anyway ill test it plugged into the back

and no i have not can you explain what a chkdsk/ f involves

chkdsk /f is supposed to find and repair faults on a drive. So, if you try to run it on the TOMTOM drive and it seems to run, then maybe you'll be able to format the drive properly.

I seem to still be using drive J even tho its plugged into the port in the back of my PC

chkdsk f cannot be run because the volume is in use by another process

shall a schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system is restarted

Last edited:
I have done that error check needed to restart my PC to do it........

hopefully i can format the drive now

I cannot see the J drive now my TOm Tom is switched off atm

Shall I re try to format the J drive as FAT 32

Last edited:
It seems I can only use disk drive J and again I was unable to format the drive

I'm sorry, I don't know what to advise you.

Other than removing the usb hubs and letting Windows recreate them when you reboot the computer to see if that 'clears' the issue.......

Ill try and copy my Tom Tom files using a different system then cause atm I cannot even open the J drive.

I could remove the drivers from the system 32.

What do you think?

It says there is 100% free space in the computer management I just can't explore the drive

Just noticed there is no File system with that drive.

Why is that?

Last edited:
I am beyond the limit of my expertise (what there is) in this area. Hopefully, some of our more knowlegeable members will be around in this thread to advise you ......

There is the problem

Unable to format the drive to the Fat 32 file system

without the file system being Fat 32 I don't think the TomTom home software will recognise it

I am looking to find a solution atm

This one website suggests I install linux (operating system) and format the drive using it

"Windows "Disk Management" under "Storage" of the "Computer Management" tool in control panel reports the drive to be healthy and without any file system. Please help!"

Last edited:
Does your model have a card slot? If so, if you were to get a 1 gig sd card and use a card reader to copy everything from the backup to the sd card, insert the card into the unit and boot up the unit then .... ?

No this is a Tom Tom 3rd edition which uses internal 1 GB memory which is annoying :mad: and is one of the reasons im in this mess (I wanted to free up space).

Ask a Question