Tomtom One 3rd frozen and won't turn off

I have TT one 3rd editon for about 4 months. Today when I turned it on, it stopped on the start-up page and I cannot turn it off unless I use reset.

I haven't done any updates recently. Does any one know how to solve this problem?

My email: [edit by dhn]
Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have the same problem i had i think.. I was using app 8.010 and it kept freezing even when navigating.. I went back to 7.221 i it hasn't frozen since..:D

For some reason the device does not like the latest application.

Last edited:
Thanks. How should I roll back to 7.221 (the original factory version?)? Do I need to format its SD card?

Here ya go..when you update you appliction stop after you have 7.221

I am sorry to hear you having problems with your device. it sounds as though it is a software problem. Please follow the steps below to reinstall your software and resolve the issue. We appreciate that this may look a little bit involved, but the steps below are necessary to cover all eventualities.

STEP 1 Install the latest version of TomTom Home

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install the latest version of TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/home

STEP 2 Make a Backup

- Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
- Open TomTom Home
- Click on 'Backup and Restore -> Backup' in TomTom Home 2.x
- Proceed with making a full backup of your device.
- See http://www.tomtom.com/3171 in how to do this also.

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device as described in Step 2. If you are unable to complete step 2, please reply back to this email and let us know what happens.

STEP 3 Run a Disk Error check

- Click Start > My Computer and then right-click the removable drive for your TomTom device.
- Click Properties.
- Select the Tools tab.
- Under Error checking click Check Now...
- Tick both boxes and then click Start.
- For further information in how to perform a disk error check, please click on http://www.tomtom.com/8324

STEP 4 Delete the Application Files

- Open My Computer in Windows, you will see the TomTom as a removable disk. Double click into it.
- You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
- Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.

STEP 5 Delete the Downloaded Program Application file on your computer

- Open TomTom Home 2.4
- Click on ‘Remove Items -> Items from My Computer’
- Tick the option for ‘Applications’
- Click on ‘Remove Selected Items’

STEP 6 Update Your Device.

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

- Open TomTom Home
- TomTom Home will check for updates. If not, click on 'Update my Go', or 'Update My One'
- In the list of updates, you will see a 'Program Application'.
- Deselect all other updates that may appear then click on 'Update and Install'. This will download and install the program application update.
- Please repeat STEP 7 until no further application updates are offered.
- Once complete, Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device', then turn off your device and disconnect it from your computer.
- Switch the TomTom on.
- The device should load up to the map screen.

STEP 7 Run the Clear Flash Tool

- Reconnect the TomTom to the computer and switch it on
- Close TomTom Home completely. In the bottom right hand corner of your screen, to the left of the computer clock, right click on the red icon for TomTom Home and choose 'Exit'.
- Click on http://www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_flash/clear_flash.exe to run the clear flash tool.
(TomTom Home must be completely closed before running this tool)
- Install the Clear Flash tool

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again. If it does not boot up to the main map screen, please make a note of what happens exactly and reply back to us with this information.

Your device code and the date of purchase; with this information we are able to book your device in for repair.

The Device code can be found on the 'Show Version' screen on your TomTom. It consists of two sets of five digits, with numbers and letters e.g. xxxxx xxxxx

You can also find out what the device code is by connecting your TomTom to your PC, then open TomTom Home.
- In TomTom Home v1.5/1.6 press the F8 key on your keyboard
- In TomTom Home 2.x click on 'Help -> System Information'.

Last edited:
Mine is frozen with nothing on the screen...220 and two times on...what the hell!!!

Mine is stuck with the screen on, but no images. I tried the hard reset, but nothing happened from what I can tell...please someone help me...what a piece of ....well ya know..I have a puppy and she does this a few times a day!

I hate wasting money, but I cannot believe it crashed this fast! Where can I get help..mine had a sticker over the card slot saying it was already updated....still....how do I reset this thing????

Ask a Question