TomTom One 3rd Edition hangs on start up

Hi all,

I'm new here so go easy! I've been given a faulty One 3rd Edition that us hangs on the TomTom splash screen. I tried to copy all files using explorer but it kept giving me errors, but I did manage to save the maps so I formatted the drive and connected to Home but I'm still having the same problem and the only way to restart it is to hit the reset button. Any ideas or could it actually be faulty?

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

Last edited:
You did save the map folder using Explorer?

If so, delete the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Now, connect to Home. You should be offered an application. Download and install. Any better?

Hi dhn,

Thanks for your reply. I have deleted everything and let Home reinstall all of the software and then I copied the map over from my laptop but its still hanging on the tomtom splash screen. Is there anything else I can try or do you think its actually faulty?

Thanks again for your help!

Matt.

Try this:

Make a complete Explorer backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now, format the internal drive of the unit. Do not use quick format.

Use Explorer to copy everything back. Any better?

Hi,

I had to format the drive at the beginning because it wouldn't let me copy everything from it. The only file I managed to copy completely was the maps folder.

So far I have wiped the drive and then let Home reinstall all the missing software and then I load in the map and it still hangs on the splash screen. Could it be a corrupt map or just a faulty unit?

Cheers,

Matt.

Don't think the map folder is the problem. something else is going on with the unit. Does your model have everything on a sd card or on internal? Sounds like it may be a problem with the bootloader.

Perhaps SuperMod mvl can jump in here. He's an expert in that area.

Why not try downloading and installing the Navcore software directly to the device without using Home:

You can download a Navcore release for your device by clicking 8,010.9369 the red part.
With the download saved to your computer connect the TomTom to the PC and shut down Home if it starts up, next unzip and extract all the files straight to the drive letter associated with your TomTom, it will ask you about overwriting existing files just answer "Yes to All" - When its finished disconnect the device from the PC by right clicking the icon in the tool tray (lower right corner of the PC) and let it boot up - whats it doing now? - If you need more specific instructions on manually installing the Navcore just ask - Mike

Hi dhn,

My One has internal memory rather than an SD card. If the problem is with the bootloader is there anyway it can be repaired or replaced?

Hi Mikealder,

I'll give that navcore a try and report back. Also do you know if the bootloader is included in the navcore software?

Thanks again for your help!

Matt.

Normally, every application update includes a bootloader version increase as well. Once a bootloader version is installed in a unit, you can't revert to a lower version bootloader--not even with a reinstall of a lower level Navcore. Not by any method we users have available to us, anyway.

Hi Mike,

I tried that Navcore you suggested but I'm still having the same problem. Just out of interest do I only need the navcore software and maps to make it work or are there other files required?

Cheers,

Matt.

Without a map present on the device it should still boot up correctly and then display a "No map found" error message, I take it you don't even see than? - Mike

Hi Mike,

It either hangs at the tomtom splash screen or sometimes depending on which navcore I've got loaded it hangs on a light blue screen with a darker blue bar at the bottom of the screen.

Cheers,

Matt

Try deleting the mapsettings.cfg file in your maps folder.

If that doesn't work:
When you formatted, did you leave "quickformat" unchecked? If not, retry the format with that unchecked. If the format takes over 60 minutes then the Tomtom memory is going bad.

Hi Mike,

I removed the map and it did the same thing.

Hi mvl,

When I formatted the drive I did the full format and it took about 30 seconds or so. I formatted it again and then let Home install the application software but when I reboot it still hangs on the tomtom splash screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt.

When I formatted the drive I did the full format and it took about 30 seconds or so. I formatted it again and then let Home install the application software but when I reboot it still hangs on the tomtom splash screen. Any ideas?

Full format for 30 seconds sounds very suspicious. It should take longer than that. Are you sure you unhecked the "quickformat" checkbox? If so, what size does windows report the Tomtom drive as?

Try a command prompt "format z: /x" (replacing Z with your drive letter) to see if that way formats properly.

Hi mvl,

Its a 512Mb and I made sure quick format wasn't checked. I also ran checkdisk and it reported no errors. When I get home I'll do use the format command as you've suggested just incase and I'll report back.

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi mvl,

Ok, I've just formatted the drive using the command prompt as suggested but its still the same. Is there anything else I can try? I'm beginning to think it can't be fixed!

Thanks again for all of your efforts!

Cheers,

Matt.

OK, try this. Close HOME. With a freshly fomatted Tomtom, use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the Tomtom. Don't put anything else on the Tomtom yet.

Then disconnect the Tomtom and try turning it on. Does it start up and get to the "no maps found" screen? If so, that would be a good sign.

Post back the results and we'll recommend further steps.

Hi mvl,

Ok, I formatted the drive and installed the navcore from your post and then booted it up but it still hangs at the tomtom splash screen. I take it this is a bad sign? I forgot to say if I format the drive and then try and boot it with nothing on it at all I get a picture of the tomtom one with the hard drive icon in the bottom left and a flashing white cross in a red circle.

Cheers,

Matt.

Last edited:
Just a thought but in the root of the device will be a number of bmp files splash.bmp, suspend.bmp etc are these named as I have written or are they splashw.bmp suspendw.bmp

If they have the w at the end of the file name delete them as they are not intended for your device - the w denotes widescreen device - Mike

Ask a Question