Tomtom One 30 corrupt cname.dat file

TomTom Model(s)
One (30 Series)/125/130 (512 MB) and XXL Classic - 2GB TTS
Tomtom home has tried to download a new UK map but something has gone wrong and the cname.dat file is corrupt.

Fortunately I have made a complete windows backup before the update

When I tried to delete the cname.dat file windows says the file is corrupt and cant be removed I have also tried changing the file ending to .old but it will not allow that either.

Has anyone got any suggested fixes. Joe

Joe, welcome to TTF.

Was the download made by a wireless connection or a directly connected computer? TomTom has great problems with large downloads (like maps) on wireless.

If you did download the map, it'll reside here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

You can try to install the map without using Home. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

If that doesn't work, then:
1. Rename the folder I highlighted above to DownloadsOLD
2. Use a directly connected computer and try the Update of the map again.

I was using home wifi and I don't have a cable connection. With some trepidation I re-formatted the tomtom and installed all the saved files and fortunately its working OK. I will check it for updates but leave the download of the map till I find someone with a cable connection. Thanks for the help Joe

If you must use a wireless connection, get the computer and router as close together as possible. This will help eliminate errors as much as possible.

Get yourself a CAT5 cable ASAP, though. Check the flea markets. You should be able to find one for a buck or so.

Hi Spider My desk top computer has a very strong wifi signal so today I have been able to download the map update successfully though it took an hour to download. I have made a windows backup copy of the files and transferred my favourites across and everything is working OK Thank's for ever ones help Joe

I have just downloaded my new map (December 2011) using an Ethernet cat5e cable what a difference the download only took 2 minutes instead 1 hour using wifi. Before starting I made a widows back up of all the files on my Tomtom One. Did the download and all the favourites had gone. Copied the new mapsettings.cfg file to my desktop and then deleted it on the tomtom. Copied the old mapsettings.cfg file to the tomtom then disconnected it from the computer. Switched off the tomtom and kept the button pressed down till the drum beat the unit then reloaded all the files and started up OK and all the favourites are back in place :eek:)

Last edited:
Joe, have you considered converting your Favorites into POIs?

POIs don't get erased when you install new maps, can be categorized, and can be moved/copied from one device to another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question