TomTom One 140 or 140S - Your Opinions Please

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE 3rd Edition
Buy.Com has the TomTom One 140 for $135.00 and Amazon.Com has the 140S for $149.00. Is it worth the extra $14 for the Text To Speech function? Are there any other benefits to the 140S? Your insightful opinions please.....

Thanks,
Steve

One more thought... I've seen many (most??) of the 140 buyers on this forum end up returning it and buying a 340.

The bigger screen is valuable, and many end up just willing to pay the extra $$ for the upgrade.

Well, I thought about the 340, but I've had the TomTom One 3rd Edition for a year now and I've been perfectly happy with that. I gave the 3rd edition to my son and I'm getting the new one. Buying it mainly for a trip to New York. I really don't use it a lot around my hometown.

I actually bought the 140S and then exchanged it for the 340S and then exchanged it back for the 140S. I'm fickle I know, but I decided the big screen really did not add that much to the experience, and I liked the "cuteness" factor of the smaller unit.

Also, the price at Best Buy on the 140S had dropped $30 from what I had originally paid. Best Buy was very accommodating. For their health, I hope they don't have too many customers like me.

Hey, guys I just bought a 140s yesterday--I had originally bought a 140, but decided to upgrade to 140s for the text to speech option. I used it today and it did not call out the names of the streets; all it did was tell me to turn left/right at x yards. Unless the concept of text to speech completely escaped me, I think this might not be what I thought it would be.

Is my idea of text to speech correct?
What does tom tom mean when it says 'text to speech'?

How do I fix this dilemma? I wanted to avoid starting a thread for this, so I used the search function and this was the only thread that was relevant.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Only the "Computer" voices (e.g. Susan) say the street names. In the Main Menu tap on "Change voices" and make sure that you have a "Computer" voice selected.

Only the "Computer" voices (e.g. Susan) say the street names. In the Main Menu tap on "Change voices" and make sure that you have a "Computer" voice selected.

I'm going to try this right now, thanks.

Edit: I ran the demo after inputting the destination, and I think it works. Thanks a bunch for the help. I was about to return my 140s--phew!

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF!

Don't forget to make a complete backup of your unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Ask a Question