TomTom on Mac basics?

I've got a One XL and a Mac running OS X 10.5.6. I want to try Tripmaster software and/or just make a reliable backup of my One. Last time I messed with the files outside of Home I messed something up and lost access to my map for all off Guam travel...

My goal is to back up my map and other needed files to my computer and then reinstall the TomTom software and maps on a 4mb SD card along with Tripmaster. Can I install Tripmaster AND the Tomtom software on the same card?

Can I make a backup and totally wipe the One and then reinstall the backup and have a working One again? I'm all for hacking at this thing but I don't want to cripple it again.

I guess my questions are too scattered at this point due to a lack of information. Can someone point me to a thread or site with this info?

Thanks

My goal is to back up my map and other needed files to my computer and then reinstall the TomTom software and maps on a 4mb SD card along with Tripmaster. Can I install Tripmaster AND the Tomtom software on the same card?

Yes, you have to install them on the same card. The ONE XL can see either the SD card or its internal memory, never both at the same time.

However the ONE XL can only use SD cards, not SDHC. The SD standard stops at 2GB and SDHC picks up at 4GB and beyond. Some manufacturers made out-of-standard 4GB SD cards that the ONE XL could read, but they're hard to find now and compatibility is hit or miss.

Can I make a backup and totally wipe the One and then reinstall the backup and have a working One again? I'm all for hacking at this thing but I don't want to cripple it again.

Yes, copy all the files and folders from the tomtom onto your hard drive as a backup. Don't use HOME backup as it isn't reliable. I use windows explorer to do the backup, I think the mac finder is the equivalent?

If you need to restore from backup, copy all the files back. You can restore application, maps, voices, etc using this approach. But you can never restore the bootloader. If you add 3rd party plugins to the tomtom, they normally don't touch the bootloader so you'll be safe. If you try to switch applications with versions not intended for the ONE XL, it could irreversibly change/damage your bootloader.

Yes, copy all the files and folders from the tomtom onto your hard drive as a backup. Don't use HOME backup as it isn't reliable. I use windows explorer to do the backup, I think the mac finder is the equivalent?

mvl is right - you can use Finder to move files to and from your device. It should appear as a mounted volume, like an external hard drive or a keydrive or something. If you want to blank it, go to Disk Utility, and use the 'erase' option there. One quirk of the way the Mac works - in Disk Utility, the TomTom shows up as a volume with another volume inside of it. Only touch the inner volume, to verify or erase it, as things get all kinds of confused if you try to format the container volume.

On my One v3, the device is called "980 MB TomTom ONE (v6) Media", but the actual volume is just called "INTERNAL". It's INTERNAL that you need to erase and/or back up. That's the volume that will mount on your desktop.

If you need to restore from backup, copy all the files back. You can restore application, maps, voices, etc using this approach. But you can never restore the bootloader. If you add 3rd party plugins to the tomtom, they normally don't touch the bootloader so you'll be safe. If you try to switch applications with versions not intended for the ONE XL, it could irreversibly change/damage your bootloader.

You can definitely use Finder to put things back. I've done all this as a part of trying to fix my One, and it certainly works.

By the way, you might like to go to 10.5.7 if you haven't already - it's fixed a couple of problems with my laptop. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Ask a Question