tomtom no longer full postcode search

ive recently upgraded to the tomtom 1 xl iq routes,and what a dissapointment.How can a company such as tomtom take such a majot step back?.If you are considering buying a new gps/satnav i would suggest you look elsewhere.On the previous version of tomtom if it asked you for a stret number you could ignore this and simply hit the done button.This would route you to the full postcode you hadve inserted.With the latest version,you are required to insert a street number when asked,and can not avoid this.On my first encounter with this" upgrade" i found myself in the right road,wrong village,3.5 miles away,purely because i didnt know the street number,only the name of the office block i was going to.Just this week in london,tomtom put me 1.5 miles away from my destination for exactly the same reason.so if you use tomtom for business as i do,i suggest you follow my answer to the problem,list it on ebay and purchase a garmin.

I have the same problem as you. The building I wanted to go to had no street number. I put the post code in. I was given 2 street numbers. I selcted the 1st one. Reached my destination and it was the wrong number, write street. I entered the 2nd number it gave me and same thing. Wrong street number.

I see the problem with not recognising post codes now.

TThis is a major problem. How does TT expect us to give a street number when most offices don't have one?

Is there a work around to this?

Don't know whether this makes a difference but go to this site and dl the 8.01 pstal code file for the UK. Put the file in a zip folder on your unit and see if that helps.

No, not at all...........

I'm not about to suggest things that will screw up member's units...............

(not knowingly, anyway ................:eek: )

OK i've checked the file. Its the same file I have on my device expect mine is sept 2009 created. The downloaded one is March 2009.

So I am guessing mine is newer. Anyway all that file is is data of postal codes.

This isn't what I want,

My device has problems where by I can insert the post codes (Zip codes) but say a place has no street number the device won't allow me to search for the destination without a street number. I have to enter a street number for it to proceed. (But office buildings don't have one).

So is a work around to this? Maybe a hack? or some kind of data files that contains ignores the street number and makes the TT find the destination using the post codes?

Interesting theme.
I wanted to tell others that the Postal Code is pretty useless in Canada as TomTom only puts you smack in the middle of the Forward Sorting Area, the first 3 digits of our 6 digit A1A 1A1 codes.
Hadn't done it on about a year and wanted to make sure memory doesn't play tricks.
Ah, well, even though the "Postcode" is still under Address, under the Navigate to ... menu, in 8.351 it cannot be invoked.
Whether the Postal Code is typed in full or whether a city is selected, unless a street address is given it'll only get you to the beginning of the street.
Tried the same with an address in Chicago using the ZIP code, same result.

We may be a little lucky here in Ontario as a few years ago all properties, even rural ones, had to get a street name and street number by requirement of the emergency services (fire, police, ambulance).

Made it easy for visitors to find our Live Steam track at 15922 McCowan Rd, Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON.

Ask a Question