TomTom maps to Garmin Oregon 200

Hi there,

looking for some serious step by step angel help hehe. I have a TomTom GPS that has served great for driving. But now I do geocaching and would like the maps from the TomTom to go onto this Garmin Oregon 200. I have tried searching on other forums but didn't find the answer. The one thing that I think that I am confused by is I don't think this tomtom map has any OV2 files or anything. I think that the map file is a DAT file? I go into a folder North_America_P and there are many DAT files that are in the hundreds of MB's I am only assuming these are the map files. But is there any way I can use these great first person city views on the TomTom to put onto this Garmin Oregon. I believe the file on the garmin has a free map that I found on some website that was a GPX file extension, which seems to be what others are saying. But I have not heard anything about converting those TomTom DAT files. Unless I am looking or trying to copy the wrong files? Please help!

I also use an Oregon (although a 450) for caching, and understand that your problem is that you're probably only seeing the 'base map' on your unit. You cannot move your TomTom map to your 200, but there are two sources for maps that are freely available for your 200.

First, find yourself a nice Class 4 microSD card. 2GB should fit all the maps you will want on your unit.

I have a copy of the most recent Ibycus topo map for Canada. The original author couldn't deal with bandwidth issues for it (3.5GB), and has dumped it off on the torrent crowd to distribute. If you have a spot where I could drop a 3.5GB map, I'd be happy to get it to you.

Alternately, for street maps, I recommend this site: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I also use an Oregon (although a 450) for caching, and understand that your problem is that you're probably only seeing the 'base map' on your unit. You cannot move your TomTom map to your 200, but there are two sources for maps that are freely available for your 200.

First, find yourself a nice Class 4 microSD card. 2GB should fit all the maps you will want on your unit.

I have a copy of the most recent Ibycus topo map for Canada. The original author couldn't deal with bandwidth issues for it (3.5GB), and has dumped it off on the torrent crowd to distribute. If you have a spot where I could drop a 3.5GB map, I'd be happy to get it to you.

Alternately, for street maps, I recommend this site: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Hi c.anderson,
thanks so much for your prompt response. I am trying to use that .nl site right now ...but it doesn't seem to like IE :( ...
as for the topo maps that you mentioned...I am not sure I know what that would look like (sorry for being new) I believe it is those maps that show all of the lines with elevation, etc? In this case, I am not particularly looking for those. But strictly something nice like a city navigator first person view that the TomTom has. But need it for the Garmin :( ...I am hoping to NOT resort to paying for a map but I think I might have to by the sounds of things. And yes I do have a microSD card that can hold enough ...any other suggestions on what I am looking for?

I have had good success with the Open Street Maps site and IE. What kind of grief is it giving you? It's not 100% intuitive, but if you can use the drop-down menus to select Canada, you should be able to pick out tiles for the area(s) in which you are interested. Once tiles are selected, you have to ask it (over on the left, I believe) to go ahead and build your map set. You'll be notified by email when the map is ready to 'pick up'. You will want to select the *.img file version for your Garmin, and then you will place it on a folder you will create on your (new) uSD card called Garmin... unless you selected only a small amount and it will fit in your Garmin folder on your 200.

I strongly recommend a good read of the following Wiki that will explain a great deal about using your 200, including the detailed information on using it for caching -- found here => http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Make sure your firmware is up to date (should be 4.20) and read this section most carefully => http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

Hi again,

okay fewf, the website finally loaded. It seemed to be stuck but waited for about 10 minutes then I got all of the drop downs and yes I clicked Canada and to build a map ...I have now checked my emails and it looks like they are wanting me to download a .exe (hesitant on doing this) that is mapsource I believe, but also includes a .zip folder which has .img file in it...would I only need this .img file and copy and paste it over to the removeable disk to which my microSD card is in? Or do I have to fool around with mapsource program. I am just watching youtube videos on it and it looks confusing :S

Whether you need the *.exe will depend upon whether you ALSO want to load the map into MapSource or just want to load it into your GPS.

If into your GPS only, then I would take the option with just the one largish *.img file in it. How big? Rename it to something you can remember like CanadaStreets.img or something along those lines.

Then yes, you pop a new uSD card into your 200, create a folder in it called Garmin (just like the one in internal memory) and copy that *.img file into the new folder.

Been a while since I've grabbed anything from them, so I'm working from hazy memory here.

Ask a Question