TomTom Map Update 6 for the price of 4

TomTom Model(s)
740 Live (not Used), Iphone 4 with TomTom & Navigon and TomTom Car Kit (not used)
OK, why does the web site and the e-mails I am getting from TomTom say one price ($39.80 US) and when you make the purchase it is another price $47.80 (US). I understand that it might depend on the age of the unit, but it is a brand new 740 live less than 30 days old .:confused::confused:

Sounds as if you Americans are getting nailed the same way we Canadians have been; namely, your purchase is going through a Netherlands based server which is adding a 20% (non refundable) VAT to the total cost.

Your purchase confirmation email (which you should receive) probably shows that somewhere.....

Call support at 866-486-6866 and complain about it.

In looking at the invoice, there is no VAT on it. Price is and I quote - Price Excl. (USD). No tax final price is $47.80. The address is TomTom Inc. Concord MA 01742. The only thing is that the price of $39.80 from the e-mail and the web site is maybe in Euros and they used the wrong symbol., and the price on the invoice is converted to dollars.

I just got off the phone with support (love the French instructions). The reason is the maps in the 740 live are and i quote, "our top of the line and they cost a little more." I also confirmed if it really means anything that the 950 (EU) is discontinued, the 740 will be continued in the states, and the Life time map and traffic will be out soon with no upgrade path for those of us who just purchased the unit. The only question is, will the life time traffic be the same traffic that is on the 740 live now? And the price will be about $30.00 more.

Last edited:
I just bought the 6 for 4 deal as well, the way I saw it offered was something like $59 for the NA updated map, then $39 or so for the next 18 months updates. I forget what the exact prices were, going back to the email now there is just links that take you to the current prices ($89). When I was buying the map I found I could get different prices depending how I navigated to it. Anyway, I just looked at my invoice and it shows this:
==================================================================================
Origin of goods : The Netherlands
Article Description Qty Price Excl.(EUR) VAT Rate(%) VAT Amount (EUR) Price
1SDA.019.02.2 Map Update Service
- Noord-Amerika
1 33.45 19.00 6.35 39.80
1SDA.019.04CPQ Upgrade naar
nieuwste kaart (met
? 50% korting op
originele kaart)
1 33.45 19.00 6.35 39.80
TOTAL (EUR) : 66.90 12.70 79.60
================================================================================

Which is not at all what I ordered, but works out to about the same price (C$105). Their website is anything but user friendly and clear, its poorly thought out and confusing, and the pricing makes no sense at all. They should take a lesson from Garmin, where I log into "mygarmin", it shows all my garmin devices (a 305 and Nuvi 260), lets me know if there are any updates, new maps etc. for that particular unit.

Incidentally, I was looking at new maps for my wifes Nuvi, and for $120-ish I can buy lifetime maps for the unit, pretty good deal compared to TT I have to say.

Last edited:
Including, sadly, the 20% VAT that we get charged for being sent to pay servers in the Netherlands! :mad:

Ask a Question