TomTom Map Share: how & what?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
Simultaneously with the introduction of the new GO 520 and GO 720, TomTom announced a entirely new map improvement technology: TomTom Map Share. This new piece of software enables users to adjust navigational maps if they are no longer entirely up-to-date. Those manually made corrections can also be shared with other users, who will receive updates through the TomTom HOME desktop, all entirely free of charge.

Read Full Article

Although TomTom is claiming they're the first in the world to do this, DeLorme StreetAtlas 2008 edition (released a couple of months ago) allows you to edit maps as well.

Frankly, I do not see any reason why they can't provide this to all GO users since it is obviously just a new software feature. If a SD card based model has enough space to do this, I'm sure my GO700 with an internal hard drive (with 1.6mb of free space) can handle it.

In one month I'm moving about 15 miles north of my current neighborhood into what is basically becoming a new sub-city with all these new roads, highways, interstate spurs, etc. I could really use this new feature now instead of waiting a year for updated maps to be released (that may or may not have the new infrastructure). According to my current TomTom maps, I'll be off-roading it for quite a while!

Although TomTom is claiming they're the first in the world to do this, DeLorme StreetAtlas 2008 edition (released a couple of months ago) allows you to edit maps as well.

Frankly, I do not see any reason why they can't provide this to all GO users since it is obviously just a new software feature. If a SD card based model has enough space to do this, I'm sure my GO700 with an internal hard drive (with 1.6mb of free space) can handle it.

In one month I'm moving about 15 miles north of my current neighborhood into what is basically becoming a new sub-city with all these new roads, highways, interstate spurs, etc. I could really use this new feature now instead of waiting a year for updated maps to be released (that may or may not have the new infrastructure). According to my current TomTom maps, I'll be off-roading it for quite a while!
oh but it will be available to GO users. In fact, it'll be backward compatible to the Classic! However, we'll have to wait til autumn before we can get this new software update.

oh but it will be available to GO users. In fact, it'll be backward compatible to the Classic! However, we'll have to wait til autumn before we can get this new software update.

Superb! I thought it was only available on the new GO520 and GO720 (at least I think that's the model numbers). This is great news! I can tolerate a a few months of living "off road" according to TomTom until they release this new version.

Ask a Question