TomTom Map Service Refund

Hi

Last week I purchased a TomTom Sat nav directly on the TomTom website.

I also paid £67 for the 12 month map updates (Western Europe) & downloaded the latest map.

On using my TomTom for the first time I noticed an error with the speed camera warnings - the warning icons were displaying an incorrect speed limit.

I contacted TomTom support who are aware of this issue that dates back to 2009, but who tell me there is 'currently no workaround' for this problem & that I will receive an email when there is!

The Tom Tom they have sold me is therefore not fit for purpose/does not function as it should.

They have agreed to refund the cost of the SatNav but have said they cannot refund the £67 cost of the map update service as it has been used.

Are they serious ??? The map update service is linked to the TomTom that doesn't work properly/isn't fit for purpose & which they can't fix - the unit is being sent back to them for a refund = the map update service is absolutely useless to me!!

I have now bought a GARMIN

To say they cannot refund me for a service now linked to a faulty product that is being returned is ridiculous

Any advice?

Many Thanks

I've sent your concerns to a contact at TomTom. No promises whatsoever, but ............

Thanks!

I've sent your concerns to a contact at TomTom. No promises whatsoever, but ............

Many thanks for that!

Things like this really do wind me up & I would have no hesitation at all in filing a claim online in the small courts for the sake of £30 if it became necessary - no judge in their right mind would agree with what they are saying and I would look forwad to both my refund plus court costs.

Thanks Again

I'm surprised to hear that old speed camera miles/kilometres per hour bug raising it's head again. I thought that was fixed ages ago.

I run several TomToms of different ages and I haven't seen that issue in about a year. I was fairly sure it had been nailed and that customer services should know that.

You didn't actually say what TomTom model it was.....?

I'm surprised to hear that old speed camera miles/kilometres per hour bug raising it's head again. I thought that was fixed ages ago.

I run several TomToms of different ages and I haven't seen that issue in about a year. I was fairly sure it had been nailed and that customer services should know that.

You didn't actually say what TomTom model it was.....?

Hi Andy

It's the TomTom start2 - I have had several TomTom's over the years & have never encountered the problem.

Looking at other forums etc. it dates back about 3 years.

What annoys me is the nonchalant way TomTom reply (i.e.) they are aware of the issue but there's no workaround & they will drop me an email when they have one!

I personally think they are doing nothing at all about the issue and that they're happy to just fob off the occasional user who comes up against it.

Just bought a Garmin (Europe) with lifetime map & traffic updates for £129.00 all in - I wonder if TomTom will come up with anything similar? Seems to me that if they are unwilling to issue perfectly legitimate refunds then their main interest is simply lining their coffers and to hell with customer care!

Enty, this is the feedback from my contact:

I've just had a look at his accounts and i can't find any orders or active services (maps or LIVE etc) on any of his email addresses.
I can find the device itself, but not the maps he claims to have purchased.
Can you ask him to retrieve the order number for the maps and I can have a look into it again?
16x16_smiley-happy.gif

So, can you provide the info, please?

Enty, this is the feedback from my contact:

I've just had a look at his accounts and i can't find any orders or active services (maps or LIVE etc) on any of his email addresses.
I can find the device itself, but not the maps he claims to have purchased.
Can you ask him to retrieve the order number for the maps and I can have a look into it again?
16x16_smiley-happy.gif

So, can you provide the info, please?

Yes no problem - I have a few different TomTom accounts as I have changed devices quite often & you can't link a new one to an existing account until a certain time has passed? so I simply set up new accounts

I will send you the order numbers by private message if OK?

Just sent you all the details by PM but it isn't showing in 'sent' items - will send again to be sure

Just a little more info

I 'linked' the TomTom Start2 to the account/email I had used to purchase the map update service with, so the map update service should be showing as linked to the unit I have purchased?

To be clear.........you bought a Start2 and the email address for the Map Update service is the SAME as for the Start2 that you registered?

More feedback:

I don't see a problem with them both refunded. I think its because they're purchased on 2 different accounts, that the agent refused the Map refund.
As usual, the final call is not mine, but I'll push some buttons for this gentleman
16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Ask a Question