TomTom losing GPS location on Android Auto.

Thank you for replying. I agree it’s a mystery!
We will have to wait and see.

... and what confuses me ist that on the one hand they claim to know this issue and working on it and on the other they ask me to wait for a major update of Android Auto. It is really annoying.
It could be that work needs to be done on both sides of the connection to allow the app to retain a stable GPS fix.

I absolutely agree there are complex interactions between OS and Apps. But what I find suspicious is that other navigation tools like Sygic do not suffer from this behavior. I tried this and GPS remained stable.

Despite me saying above that I would wait and see, I decided to contact TT support. This is their reply:

I would like to inform you the error you are facing occurred after the last update of Android auto cool walk, and this limits you to use the App on Android Auto if the phone and app screen is turned off,

We are already informed about this and as this is an error from Google as we use their display on Android auto, I would request you wait until they release the next update

The current workaround is to keep the App open on the cellphone with its display turned on while connected to Android Auto to avoid disconnection.”

So, I have followed the above for a 50 mile trip and report my findings:
The location was still intermittent but not as bad as before UNTIL I made a short stop near the end. The in- car display did NOT have the location again after this (arrow remained grey).

I have gone back to TT support with the above comments and pointed out to them that if Google have changed AA, then the action is for TT to amend the app NOT the other way round!
I have also pointed out that I am paying for this, and if it’s not reliable then I need some restitution. I’ve suggested a subscription extension until the problem is sorted.
I will keep you all posted on developments.

Despite me saying above that I would wait and see, I decided to contact TT support. This is their reply:

I would like to inform you the error you are facing occurred after the last update of Android auto cool walk, and this limits you to use the App on Android Auto if the phone and app screen is turned off,

We are already informed about this and as this is an error from Google as we use their display on Android auto, I would request you wait until they release the next update

The current workaround is to keep the App open on the cellphone with its display turned on while connected to Android Auto to avoid disconnection.”

So, I have followed the above for a 50 mile trip and report my findings:
The location was still intermittent but not as bad as before UNTIL I made a short stop near the end. The in- car display did NOT have the location again after this (arrow remained grey).

I have gone back to TT support with the above comments and pointed out to them that if Google have changed AA, then the action is for TT to amend the app NOT the other way round!
I have also pointed out that I am paying for this, and if it’s not reliable then I need some restitution. I’ve suggested a subscription extension until the problem is sorted.
I will keep you all posted on developments.
Subscriptions with the new app are now managed by Google.
so it's Google you need to ask for a subscription extension or a refund.

Gosh, thats confusing and seems to be a potential nightmare to pursue. I will wait for TT to reply as I fail to see why I should have to chase around if the supplier has failed!

Paul, from my experience the workaround is always stable. As long TomTom app is visible on the phone the GPS fix is absolutely reliable. I tested this two weeks ago for more then 400 km. But in case anything else comes to the foreground it is verly likely that the arrow turns grey and will not recover until TomTom app is visible again or the connection is reset by toggling bluetooth. On the other hand I had lots of shorter trips starting with black phone screen and blue arrow and no loss of the signal despite several messages from different apps came in. It is hard to say where exactly the error is buried. I suppose some faults in the background management.

Thanks BigWolf for sharing your observations.
I seem to be having slightly different experiences to you!! Oh well, I will wait for TTs next reply.

So, another 50 mile run today with stops.
‘Coolwalk‘ made a suggestion earlier about turning on the app before the display (i.e. before turning on the ignition) and that routine resulted in a definate improvement. No grey arrow at all (I did look up at the road occasionally!!!).
Will keep that routine, plus Always On, run in foreground, no battery optimisation, etc.
BUT we should still have an update to either or both AA and TT so that it works ‘out of the box’.

Good to hear you found your workaround. Hopefully we will soon get back to the behavior we are used to.

Update:
I have had an ongoing discussion with TT support, and I note below the main points they make. These extracts are direct quotes from their Nicole.

The reason behind the connection drops you are encountering is attributed to the absence of USB cables while utilizing Android Auto.
The Go Nav application has been purposefully designed and thoroughly tested to ensure smooth operation in conjunction with Android Auto, especially when connected using USB cables.
It is not tested to work with Bluetooth, kindly test it with a USB cable and let me know about the results.

Then I questioned the statement about non Bluetooth use, as I assumed BT was the basis of AA. (Am I wrong here? )

It's not possible to use Android Auto over Bluetooth alone, since Bluetooth can't transmit enough data to handle the feature. As a result, Android Auto's wireless option is only available on cars that have built-in Wi-Fi—or aftermarket head units that support the feature. Hence its always advised to use a USB cable as it transmits the data accurately.

So that was a surprise! I cannot see anywhere in their user information about connecting by USB.

Anyway, the routine that we have collectively worked out seems to work, so I will carry on with that. EXCEPT that if ’Always On’ is used, you need to plug in the phone on a long journey to keep it charged as AO is a big drain on the battery.

Separately they asked me supply all sorts of data about the app (version, ID), and my phone and Android version, to pass to their app design team. If I hear more then I will post here.

Since long before TT got involved in AA, USB was the only connection, and companies still sell WiFi to USB dangles for vehicles that require USB. Most BT bandwidth would low for full motion video.

Hi Paul, thanks for keeping us updated. I definitely can not confirm any improvements related to the use of USB cable. Actually the behavior gets worse than being connected via BT/WiFi. With USB plugged the arrow turns grey immediately after using anything on the phone screen that is not TomTom. It does not recover on its own. But when connected wirelessly the blue arrow is much more stable and recovers very often without user action.

Hello all, I just noticed my TomTom app was updated silently to 3.6.179 (4507). And checking the app permissions I found a new option "Always Allow" for GPS position. This is what Google added to Maps when the issues came up. I am not able to test this before the evening but I am quite excited and hope for our best!

Last edited:
Thanks BigWolf.
I checked the app on seeing your post just now and see I have the update, however I’ve been driving earlier this morning and noted the GPS dropping out.
Let’s see over the next few days and report back here.

Hi Paul. I believe the new option is not activated automatically. I had to change manually from the old default to the new option. Maybe you have to do this before the changes show effect.

On my app (new version) the text in ‘Run in background’ says “This will automatically be enabled when Android Auto is active”. Also it is swiched on when I open the app, even away from the car.

Ah, I see. I have overlooked this new option in TomTom settings. In my post above I was talking about the new option in app permissions of TomTom. Nevertheless, it seems we have two new approaches at least to come closer to a solution for this issue.

Paul, do you have any news? I only was able to test for a smaller ride but I would like to share my latest experiences. I started with the new TomTom version out of the box which means the new background control option was enabled and the new permission option was disabled. The arrow remained blue as long as I did not use the phone. When playing around with other apps the arrow turned grey as known from the last months.
With the arrow still grey I switched to the phone settings, Apps, TomTom, Permissions and changed GPS location to the new option "Allow always". The arrowed turned blue immediately and did not change for the rest of my ride. I put several different apps to the foreground to trigger the loss of the signal but it remained stable.
Hopefully this is the fix we have been waiting for. I will test tomorrow for a longer ride and will keep you updated.

Ask a Question