tomtom limitations?

Just bought a Tom Tom 720 and a garmin nuvi over Black Friday. I updated the tomtom using the tomtom home software and i found the following limitations with the tomtom compared to the garmin nuvi.

1.) tomtom does not allow you to zoom out to a state or country level. The maximum zoom out is probably about 25 - 50 miles. I tried turning off AutoZoom and switched the map to 2D but that didn't help. (the garmin on the other hand automatically switches over to 2d after a certain zoom out level and zooms out all the way till the entire US map is shown)
2.) A newer housing community does not exist in the updated tomtom whereas the garmin shows the entire community out of the box without update.

I'll double check the map version on the tomtom to see if it was updated but does anyone know about the zoom out feature. Am I doing something wrong?

Just bought a Tom Tom 720 and a garmin nuvi over Black Friday. I updated the tomtom using the tomtom home software and i found the following limitations with the tomtom compared to the garmin nuvi.

1.) tomtom does not allow you to zoom out to a state or country level. The maximum zoom out is probably about 25 - 50 miles. I tried turning off AutoZoom and switched the map to 2D but that didn't help. (the garmin on the other hand automatically switches over to 2d after a certain zoom out level and zooms out all the way till the entire US map is shown)
2.) A newer housing community does not exist in the updated tomtom whereas the garmin shows the entire community out of the box without update.

I'll double check the map version on the tomtom to see if it was updated but does anyone know about the zoom out feature. Am I doing something wrong?

Not sure about zooming out while you are in driving mode but you can view map and point to a destnation on the map that you want to go. And in that screen you can zoom in & out.

As far as maps go between the two you will find it depends where you are using your GPS the most. some areas are better covered by Tom Tom others are better by Garmin.

That being said with TomTom buying contoling intrest in Tele- Atlas a few months ago and with Google Maps switching to Tela-Atlis along with TomTom's mapshare I think you will find TT to have the superior coverage by far in a shote time frame.

This is a personal preference and you should look at both very close and then descide.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply GarCor. It was very interesting to hear that Google Maps uses TeleAtlas instead of NavTeq.

So I did a little test of my own. I tried to map the new housing community on Google Maps and Yahoo Maps and interestingly Google Maps (TeleAtlas) has a more up to date map compared to Yahoo Maps (NavTeq). But on the handheld GPS side of things the Garmin (NavTeq) is more up to date than tomtom (TeleAtlas).

Looks like Google is definitely getting some preferential treatment here.

You should be eligible for the 30 day map upgrade. You could well have map version 710 on the unit. The latest one was 810 - until 815 came out a few weeks ago. You will have to have updated the application to 8.3 (through TT Home) to get the 815 map.

If you have not done so - do a complete copy of the 720 with windows explorer with hidden files and folders set to show.

Then if you have not done so also, set up an account with TomTom - you will need to be logged on to get a map downloaded. Log on to your account in Home with your device connected, and see if it offers to download a new map (click on update my device in Home). If it offers 810 - then you don't have 8.3 installed.

If it does not offer any map, you will have to call TomTom support for help. They will have you send in proof of purchase, and then will put the map in your account for download.

But don't forget to do the FREE map updated within the 30 days. You could wait until near the end of 30 days to see if a newer one comes out (highly unlikely..), but don't miss it.

You will get no slack from TomTom if you are over 30 days.

Thank you for your replies. I have already done an update and I am pretty sure the tomtom application was updated. I not 100% sure about the map though. I think the map was updated too but I'll double check tonight.
If it's any confirmation I am having the stuttering Susan problem like most people on this board with the new update.

Tele-atlas VS Navteq

I would also mention that the the Navteq maps are much more superior in Canada. Tele-atlas misses a lot of maps and details in Canada .

Ok I tried updating my tomtom yesterday and it said I had no updates to be installed. Then I checked the versions and the app is 8.3 whereas the map is still 710. Looks like I will have to call tomtom customer support or is there a special trick to update to 815?

You are correct in that you will need to call, not email, Support. Be prepared to send a scan, fax or photo of your sales invoice as prrof of purchase date.

I would also mention that the the Navteq maps are much more superior in Canada. Tele-atlas misses a lot of maps and details in Canada .

This is not totaly correct my tt in the area here in NovaScotia where I live has better coverage than my friends Garmin and I realize Nova Scotia isn't a big provence.

So as it has been said many times on this forum it depends where you are going to use the GPS the most.

I have already done an update and I am pretty sure the tomtom application was updated. I not 100% sure about the map though.
To check for the version of your map, tap the satellite bar. That will show the version of the operating system. Tap again and the 5th line will show the version of the map on your device. Let us know what it is. You can do that with the mouse while connected through HOME.

To get the latest map free (within 30 days of purchase), open Home, click on Tools, click on Use Latest Map Guarantee.
You only get one update therefore most wait until the end of the 30 day period.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I purchase a Tomtom on Dec. 1 to give as a Christmas Gift. The gift recipent opens the gift on Dec. 25 and has to download a new map if it is available by Dec. 31. So, there is only a 5 or 6 day window in which to download a new map.:(

You will most likely need help from TomTom support to get the map downloaded. For this, they will ask for proof of purchase. I do not believe they will give any slack as to the 30 days from the date of the receipt.

You - and others who have less time from Black Friday - should not wait until the last few days. There may be a flood of calls to support after the holidays, and this could result in busy signals and the falure to get through.

If that happens and the 30 days expire - again - expect no slack from TomYom.

I already called tomtom and sent them my proof of purchase. Should be able to download the latest map tonight.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I purchase a Tomtom on Dec. 1 to give as a Christmas Gift. The gift recipent opens the gift on Dec. 25 and has to download a new map if it is available by Dec. 31. So, there is only a 5 or 6 day window in which to download a new map.:(
Sounds like an Aprifool's question but I'll answer anyway. Yes.

I am definitely on shakey grounds here but, I think, (and the emphasis is on 'think'), there are grounds that TomTom will not start the clock until the first time the user logs into his/her account at TT using Home.

Otherwise, there would be lots and lots of 'Black Friday' Christmas purchases where the LMG would not work ... and I just don't see that happening.

I am afraid that they will look at the proof of purchase and go with the date on it.

If the LMG would work through Home - it would work off of the date connected, as that would be all TT would see.

Not sure either way - but anyone who is in this position might want to check with TT support and get a reference number for the incident.

Even then, I would not trust them - I have been told several times I am entitled to an extension of my service on the traffic receiver - only to be told latter I am not.

I am definitely on shakey grounds here but, I think, (and the emphasis is on 'think'), there are grounds that TomTom will not start the clock until the first time the user logs into his/her account at TT using Home.
If that were the case, why did they ask me to attach a scan of my bill of sale to a Support question to be called POP for (proof of purchase) while I was on the line with them 10 days after I bought my device.

I would highly recommend to givers of TomToms to have the recipient immediately open a TomTom account, download HOME and apply the Latest Map Guarantee.
If it works, fine, end of story.
If it does not work, immediately send a Support question from the web page stating that LMG does not work (preferably already with a scan of the POP).
They will now have documentary proof that the request to activate LMG was made within the 30 day time frame.

Here's the problem. How many givers of the TomTom's even know WHAT a LMG is, let alone how to activate it. and how many users know that, if Home says they have the latest maps, then the user would believe it rather than knowing to call Support to pursue it? Lots, I suspect.

Well, if people came to this or similar forums, they probably know how to deal with LMG. But how many users even know these fora exist? Not sooo many, I suspect.

So, I suspect a lot of receivers of BF TomTom's will be 'stuck' with outdated maps unless TT gets a little flexible with their LMG policies....

Ask a Question