TomTom Latest Map Update Policy!

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
I purchased a TomTom One 3rd from Buy.com on 5/1/08. I figured I would promptly take advantage of the Latest Map Policy. I provided proof of purchase and they provided map v715 through TomTom Home.

Two days later I realize that they released Map v720. I called them back and they refused to provide the update. They stated that they have a strict ONE TIME latest map update policy. They said they have no way to remove the v715 maps from my account and provide the v720 maps.

I know the v715 maps were released in March but it would still have been nice to have v720. Especially since I just talked to them two days ago for the update! They didn't care. THey even checked with the supervisor.

I'd recommend that anyone that buys wait until the 30 day latest map grace period is almost up before updating. I missed it by two days just for being proactive.

-Doug

:mad:

TomTom One 3rd Edition
App Ver: 7.166 OS:2332
GPS Ver: 1.21 Boot Ver: 5.5001
US & Canada Map Ver: 715.1712

That's good advice. ...but if it makes you feel better, think of the update policy this way: TomTom guarantees that you can get the latest map available for your device as of the date of purchase. Most GPS companies don't offer this -- (i.e. if your GPS was manufactured a year ago, you'll be buying last year's map, and you may be able to buy this year's for an additional charge). If your device includes the MapShare feature, you'll get a fair amount of the updates found in later maps. New or demolished roads are another story -- even us MapShare-enabled people have to buy a new map once in a while, especially since MapShare stops working when the map gets too old.

That's good advice. ...but if it makes you feel better, think of the update policy this way: TomTom guarantees that you can get the latest map available for your device as of the date of purchase. Most GPS companies don't offer this -- (i.e. if your GPS was manufactured a year ago, you'll be buying last year's map, and you may be able to buy this year's for an additional charge). If your device includes the MapShare feature, you'll get a fair amount of the updates found in later maps. New or demolished roads are another story -- even us MapShare-enabled people have to buy a new map once in a while, especially since MapShare stops working when the map gets too old.

That's a huge TomTom advantage. I didn't realize other large GPS companies, such as Garmin, do not provide a free one time update. I do have a friend that bought a competitor's product and his maps are way out of date.

Actually Garmin does offer a free map update within 30 days. I don't think they make it well known though. Also, their map updates are only released about once a year, so the chances of a release during any 30 day period is slim. Last year though, I held off registering my Garmin for 6 months, and did so after a new map release, and got the new maps for free. There was no proof of purchase required - it was based on my registration date.

I had a magellan and they guaranteed map updates for a year...now I love my TT but that map guarantee is far superior...and they guarantee 2 updates a year (or at least they did)

I think it depends on the customer support person you deal with. I updated my maps from 7.05 to 7.10 to 7.15 (Western Europe) when the new ones came out 31 days after I purchased. TT support has been great for me, but it does seem to be idiosyncratic, and you HAVE to be patient, as everything involving this kind of decision seems to take them forever.

Good luck

I think it depends on the customer support person you deal with. I updated my maps from 7.05 to 7.10 to 7.15 (Western Europe) when the new ones came out 31 days after I purchased. TT support has been great for me, but it does seem to be idiosyncratic, and you HAVE to be patient, as everything involving this kind of decision seems to take them forever.

Good luck
Such is life, right? :D

I just bought a refurbished TomTom One 3rd from Tigerdirect. When does my 30-day period begin -- the date of purchase or when I first connect online?

If it's the date of purchase, how does TomTom know when I purchased it?

Thanks.

I just bought a refurbished TomTom One 3rd from Tigerdirect. When does my 30-day period begin -- the date of purchase or when I first connect online?

If it's the date of purchase, how does TomTom know when I purchased it?

Thanks.

It is from the date of purchase. They will require you to send them proof of purchase (tigerdirect invoice). They will have you login to MyTomTOm on the website and access your support question history. There you will add the invoice as an attachement for them to review. I scanned mine to PDF before I called.

I hope this helps!

-Doug

Thanks, Doug. You answered all my questions.

It is from the date of purchase. They will require you to send them proof of purchase (tigerdirect invoice). They will have you login to MyTomTOm on the website and access your support question history. There you will add the invoice as an attachement for them to review. I scanned mine to PDF before I called.

I hope this helps!

-Doug

thats soooo wrong i will tell u right now all u need to do is call back ur ticket is still in the system they CAN GET U THAT LATEST MAP

if u have any push back with the support dude ask for a supervisor they can get u wat u want..

for ex say u buy a map then a release comes out like 3 weeks later they can provide u with a newer map

so again just call back tell the sup to look at past tickets be cause its a 30 day latest map garanty and if u ask them they will tell u that in the first 30 days they make sure u get the latest map

Ask a Question