TomTom Keeps Jumping Between Screens

My TomTom 920 keeps jumping, scrolling, moving, whatever you want to call it to different screens while I'm trying to use it. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen often. I've tried to reset it but that has not worked. any ideas????

Often a symptom of a little dirt under the bezel somewhere. Take the sharp corner of a business card and slowly move around the entire circumferance of the screen with it.

Also, sometimes with a screen protector, over time the protector 'shrinks' a bit and adds pressure to the screen, causing 'phantom' movement on the screens.

See if either or both of above apply in your case.

Had this happen to me last week on a long trip. I kept talking to myself about it then a bulb came on about something I read on here. I took a toothpick ran it around the edge and all was well. Thanks to this form I had a good trip....

That is great guys. Thanks so much. It's always something simple right? I will give it a try but it makes sense. I do have a screen protector on it.

Ok guys - back for more help. I tried both those ideas - removing the screen protector and cleaning the edges and now it seems like when I touch the left side of the screen, the right side of the screen gets selected or I can't hit the button I want at all. I tried a reset, factory reset and restored it to a previous back up so far but no luck. Not sure if this has solved the scrolling problems yet. Any ideas?

I tried it but no luck with that. I can control it with the remote and using Tom Tom Home but not the touch screen.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Reformat the unit. Don't use quickformat. Restore the backup.

If it still jumps around, afraid it's a hardware failure.

Ok I figured out how to back up and reformat but didn't do much. Is there a way to get fresh software to put on my TomTom instead of re installing the back up which might be corrupt?

You can plug it in and run Home and let Home manage the new firmware download and install as an "update".

That is right after I format the gps? Then TomTom Home will be brand new software on the gps without me restoring anything?

That is right after I format the gps? Then TomTom Home will be brand new software on the gps without me restoring anything?
If there's no firmware seen on your TomTom (there is firmware there, but only the embedded loader), Home will offer you firmware. If anything goes south with that, we can also hook you up with it as a separate file that you can install.

Do you know what level firmware was on your unit when all of this started to go south for you? The current level will be 8.351.

I'm not sure. I am at the current level right now of 8.351.

I am trying to change the calib data but not sure where to put the file - any ideas?

I'm not sure. I am at the current level right now of 8.351.

I am trying to change the calib data but not sure where to put the file - any ideas?
Sorry - you lost me with that last sentence.

OK - you were already running current firmware. That's good.

What exactly is the calibration data you are trying to change, and what file are we talking about?

Thanks dhn

Ok, I was able to do that but no luck. It seems like when I do that the screen doesn't work at all. Any idea on what I have to change the numbers to? My data numbers are 82 935 139 850 I tried 935 82 139 850 and 82 935 850 139 but when I put those in it didn't work at all.

Honestly, while I'm aware of the file and its supposed functionality, I have never needed or wanted to try it. I can only suggest having a backup and then trying to play with numbers. You do have what you perceive to be the proper values for X max, X min, Y max and Y min and have them in the proper order, eh?

From what I understand I thought I could flip a couple numbers, load it on to the gps and it should work. But no luck. I am kind of learning on the fly. I am trying to get this done because I am leaving on a trip Tuesday. At very least it seems like the remote will get the job done and I am hoping my original problem of it jumping between screens is solved but that seems like it comes up at random times and after it's been in use for a while. Very strange. Why must there always be a problem!!!! lol

Ah - OK, working with a screen calibration file. Didn't dawn on me what you meant since I've not see a situation where a miscalibration caused the screen to jump around when untouched, only to miss what you intended when you do finger it.

Ask a Question