TomTom iPhone refund emails

Basically impossible to get a refund on new TomTom for iPhone:

1. Apple says I need to speak to TomTom as it is their product

2. TomTom says I need to speak to Apple as they sold it

Stalemate:

1. From Apple

Hi David,

Tammy here from the iTunes Store. I am sorry that your app purchase is not working as expected. I understand how frustrating this must be. I can certainly appreciate how anxious you are to have this issue resolved. I will be more than happy to help you today!

I am sorry but at this time I am unable to issue you a refund. The developer of this application, TomTom, is the best resource for assistance with this issue. To contact them, please visit:

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

The article below may also be helpful; I found it for you on the Apple website:

Troubleshooting applications purchased from the App Store
Troubleshooting applications purchased from the App Store

I hope you find this information helpful. If you need further assistance please feel free to reply to this email and I would be more than happy to help. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Tammy
iTunes Store Customer Support

2. From TomTom

Dear Mr Ward,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is 090824-003130.

The application for the iphone is managed by Apple through itunes. You will need to take up any feedback or support directly with Apple. This is also the same for refunds, you purchased the product from Apple not from TomTom.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

3. Original message

AustraliaMap v830.2352 App version 8.150 (339085)

Can I get a refund $99.99 until this is beta tested properly?

1. Most traffic/speed/red light cams are missing. This was advertised on iTunes and has not been delivered.
2. The red light cam that has shown was hidden behind the long street name.
3. I cannot add my own POIs as per normal TomTom device.
4. There is 'no alert when near' function.
5. The Contacts format is not compatible with iPhone 3G Australia address format. This was advertised on iTunes and has not been delivered.
6. I cannot add voices like my normal TomTom device.
7. I cannot turn the map off above a certain speed like my normal TomTom device.
8. The GPS reception is OK but does not seem to track properly (-30m).
9. There is no lane guidance.
10. The menu system when fully nested takes ages to get back to the top.
11. Portrait or Landscape makes no different to the screen apart from slightly wider road. The space could be used to display additional information.
12. There is no compass direct like my TomTom device.
13. There is no country specific safety cam information at iphone.tomtom.com when I bought it or today. This was advertised on iTunes and has not been delivered.
14. There is now way to find out how many satellites I have locked on to and their strength.
15. There is no alert when near schools zone function (40km/h) for Australia. This was advertised on iTunes.

4. Latest email from me to Apple

Tammy

1. You haven't helped me and I haven't had a wonderful day.

2. I spoke to TomTom who said it is Apple's support problem not their's. So you are sending me to them and they are sending me to you. (* see below TomTom email)

3. I would still like a refund from Apple who sold me the App and it doesn't do what is says it does. This is a breach of our contract and Apple are liable.

Please credit my account or give me your contact details so I can start legal proceedings to recover my monies.

Apple will refund your cost if the product is labeled as misleading. I bought XROAD GPS Map Us + Canada which I was unable to plan a route form US to canada when owning both. Total cost was 55$ I got a refund for it.

The process I followed was listed here:
Apple App Store Refund is Possible

The process I followed was listed here:
Apple App Store Refund is Possible

Thanks sberube but the menu options you describe are not there on Apple - Support - iTunes. You either get app store, music purchases or video purchases: none then give the option "this item is mislabelled".

I'm having the same problem as above trying get a refund on Tomtom Europe. However, reviews eg on 3 and 5 Sept 2009 for TT Europe app suggest that they have had a refund and I wonder how they do this.

Despite a no refunds policy, goods sold in the UK must be "Fit for purpose".....clearly the Tomtom iphone app product is not fit for route navigation.

Can anyone enlighten myself and others on how to obtain a refund. May be a class action is the only thing that will apple and tomtom up to our problems.

David (and others). I experienced exactly the same as you. I then sent this email to my contact at itunes (in your case Tammy).

Dear ?

Thanks for your email. It's not that I cannot use the app! I am very computer literate and have used Tomtoms and iphones for years! The app simply does not work....it constantly says poor GPS signal even with the roof down on my car....many other people complain of this too in the reviews.

I have read the (mainly bad) reviews for Tomtom Europe appn and several say that they have had a refund from itunes (eg see reviews on 3 Sept 09 and 5 Sept 2009): can you let me know how to arrange such a refund.

When you buy an app it should be fit for the purpose for which it is described...this appn is not and please let me know how I can arrange a refund. Tomtom are unable to help with refunds and say to contact you.​
Surprisingly, I then received this in response, so my advice is to be persistent and polite and you may get somewhere. It may help to cite any tomtom reviews which say that a refund was given.

Hi ?,

Thank you for contacting the developer. I'm sorry to hear that the application you recently purchased is not functioning as expected. I will be happy to address this further.

In three to five business days, a credit of $79.99 should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase.

I hope you find this information helpful, ?. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'll be more than happy to help you with whatever I can. Thank you for the chance to improve your iTunes experience. Take care and have a great day!​

The fact that it cost ?79.99 GBP and not USD is an issue that I shall address now but a result nonetheless.

Regards & good luck

I too have had my cash refunded after just two emails, they said it would take up to 5 days, it took 4 and the cash is back in my bank, I had expected problems, Tomtom said it was Apple and vice versa, however I just asked the Apple rep for a refund and got it....

The method I followed was:
Step 1: Apple - Support - iTunes
Step 2: App Store
Step 3: Troubleshooting Applications
Step 4: Click Email US
Step 5: Fill out form, application issue: Didn't function as expected

Make sure you do work w/ the vendor first to see if it is your issue, but if its a misleading app issue by advertising features that don't exist. They can't do that and you will get a refund.

I have since requested a refund for the TomTom app because I believe it was released WAY before it was done. I'm not going to go into all the issues I had with it (including safety ones) but I ended up buying Navigon and couldn't be happier with it.

Same experience here. I've purchase multiple navigation apps over the years including TOMTOM, GARMIN, NAVIGON etc. I've had to reset my phone to factory and on occasion reinstall each app separately from the App Store. I noticed something didn't look right but it just dawned on me after quite some time that TOMTOM had removed the app hence I had not reinstalled it from the App Store purchased library list. I read that another user had the same issue and he was informed that he could download the latest and supposedly the greatest TOMTOM GO and contact TOMTOM support who would provide a free membership. This was welcomed new as I had laid out over a $100.00 Canadian for this originally and didn't want to see my hard earned cash go up in smoke with nothing to show for it. I contacted support after downloading the latest version only to be told the following: Sorry, that ended a tad over a month ago. I was then told by this lady from tech support in India that both TOMTOM and APPLE had informed clients about this switch. I told her I never received any notification from either and didn't even know I missed it all these years as it was amongst a plethora of apps I've purchased since my first iPhone (I'm an iPhone app junkie). She stated, NO, I was wrong which really upset me as I know better! I asked to speak to her supervisor which she would not do and stated that the supervisor would write me. He did and all he stated was in essence is sorry Charlie! I contacted Apple who stated that it wasn't their responsibility and stated I should contact the developer. I in turn wrote TOMTOM (PR department supposedly in Europe but the reply came back from a gentleman with an Indian name so I can only assume it was handed back to Tech support). The reply was to go to Apple to get this matter resolved.

Suffice to say that I despise this company and the way they treat clients. This matter could so easily be remedied but they've chosen to make me furious and an advocate for all their competitors.

Copy of correspondence below.

Sandeep,
Please have one of your public relations staff reach out to me to discuss this matter further.
Please note that I will be sharing these communications between us on public forums so as to demonstrate the degree of disinterest your firm has in resolving customers issues.
Barry

On Aug 14, 2019, at 2:59 PM, TomTom Support Team <(e-mail address removed)> wrote:

Reference Number: 190808-000185
Recently you contacted us at TomTom Customer Care. Here is a summary of your request. You can find our response below.
Sandeep B. (US), 08/14/2019 02:59 PM
Dear ,

Thank you for updating your incident 190808-000185.
Barry, I can understand your discontent. I would have really helped if it was possible to roll back to old application. I can definitely share you feedback about your discontent with our concerned team.
Once again I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you for giving me an opportunity to assist you today.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to email us using this link response link or call us at 877-757-7137 Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST.

With Kind Regards,

Sandeep B
TomTom Customer Support
, 08/12/2019 01:45 PM
Sandeep,

Please just send me the old app.

That’s the least you or your firm can do.

If that’s not possible, I’ll try to reach out to the CEO of TOMTOM about why no one will take the time to discuss this matter with me.

As for Apple, They told me to contact your firm!

I also find it amusing that the Public Relations department of TOMTOM doesn’t involve themselves in this matter and leaves it to tech support to handle. This isn’t a matter of tech support.

Thanks,

Barry

>
>
>
Sandeep B. (US), 08/12/2019 01:38 PM
Dear ,

Thank you for updating your incident 190808-000185.
Barry, I am sorry for the inconvenience but as informed earlier any purchases, payments, subscriptions, renewals, cancellations, upgrades or app installations are handled by Apple Support as per their terms and conditions. Thus request to contact apple for your query related to subscription.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to email us using this link Click here to reply
or call us at 877-757-7137 Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST.

With Kind Regards,

Sandeep B
TomTom Customer Support
, 08/09/2019 12:44 PM
Sandeep,

I suggest that you do your homework before writing clients. First and foremost, the first app was released in 2009 and not in 2011. Second, your firm removed the original app which Apple does not dictate that you have to do for earlier version phones. They did have a mandatory requirement for only 64 bit apps commencing in Feb 2015 for new or updated apps to be allowed into the store but apps already in the store were allowed to remain. Please keep in mind that some people don’t update their hardware so my iPhone will still work with the original app and OS thus, your point is rather moot.

Please have someone from TomTom USA or Canada call me to discuss this matter. I wish to resolve this matter amicably. Regrettably, your reply is unacceptable.

Respectfully,

>
>
>
Sandeep B. (US), 08/09/2019 12:19 PM
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding Go navigation app. My name is Sandeep and I will be assisting you today.

The reference number for your query is 190808-000185.
Due to higher than normal email volume, we apologize for delay in responding to your query. Any inconvenience caused is deeply regretted.
, I would like to inform you that TomTom develops app for Apple store to support their iOS platform and every developer needs to comply with iOS compatibility and terms and conditions before an app is published on their store. A developer can only assist with the functionality of the app until it is compatible with the latest iOS versions released by Apple.
The first TomTom app was released in 2011 for products running on iOS 5. Every app comes with a product lifecycle period depending on the compatibility of future iOS versions and the terms & conditions mutually agreed between the developer and Apple. Since the first app was no longer supported with the new iOS version released in 2015, a new app has to be released under which Apple offered upgrades to their users who purchased the older app and similarly with the requirement of CarPlay functionality and upcoming release of iOS 13, a new app is released in 2019.
Any purchases, payments, subscriptions, renewals, cancellations, upgrades or app installations are handled by Apple Support as per their terms and conditions https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html. Unfortunately, any purchased/free apps are only offered through Apple's app store and is unable to be offered outside app store for iOS devices.
We do apologize for any inconvenience caused.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to email us using this link Click here to reply
or call us at 877-757-7137 Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST.

With Kind Regards,
Sandeep B.
TomTom Customer Support
Administrator, 08/08/2019 12:19 AM
The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)
Answer Link: How do I use multitasking with the TomTom Navigation App for iPhone®?
Answer Link: About MapShare reporter
Answer Link: Is the TomTom Navigation app compatible with my iPhone®/iPad®?
Answer Link: Support has ended for TomTom Navigation app for iPhone/iPad
Answer Link: Can I receive phone calls while navigating with my iPhone®?
, 08/08/2019 12:19 AM
I purchased this app for $100.00 + tax and I now find that it's no longer available. It was purchased under my Mac account (e-mail address removed)xxxxxx. I'm led to understand that if I upgrade the app to your latest version, I will receive a retroactive map update. I tried the restore but it doesn't work. Please advise. Copy of my bill appended.

Thanks,

Barry

Ask a Question