Tomtom iPhone carkit, posted then pulled from apple store

Yup. They already pulled that announcement. Either it was posted earlier than they intended, or some part of that offer is being changed.

Some excerpts from my web cache:

TomTom Car Kit for iPhone 3GS

Everywhere you go, the TomTom Car Kit gives you the most advanced navigation technology to lead the way on your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G. You also get safe and secure docking and the freedom to take calls on the move and play your favourite tunes over your car stereo.

• Advanced TomTom navigation
  • Secure docking that keeps your iPhone 3GS well in place
  • Enhanced GPS signal for the most accurate positioning
  • Easy-to-hear voice instructions with built-in speaker
?99.95
Ships: 2-3 weeks
Free Shipping
Overview

The TomTom app on your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G puts award-winning technology at your fingertips, like IQ Routes which gives you the smartest, most efficient route any time of day. That's just the beginning. Combine it with the TomTom Car Kit to experience enhanced GPS performance for the ultimate in-car navigation.
TomTom Car Kit features

Secure docking

TomTom's specially designed, award-winning EasyPort mount attaches your iPhone securely to your windscreen or dashboard?perfectly within reach. It lets you rotate the screen for widescreen route display. And it folds flat for easy moves from car to car.
Enhanced GPS performance

The TomTom car kit's built-in receiver increases the GPS performance of your iPhone to give you a truly reliable signal?even in high-rise urban areas.
Clear voice instructions

With the built-in volume controls and superior speaker, you'll hear every voice instruction loud and clear?so you'll never miss a thing.
Easy charging

Dock your iPhone 3GS in the mount to charge it as you drive, so it's always fully charged and ready to go.
Hands-free calling

Receive calls without taking your eyes off the road, using the built-in extra-sensitive microphone and speaker. And the app automatically starts navigating again as soon as the call ends.
Your music on the move

With the audio out connector you can play all your favourite songs through your car's audio system with the optional audio cable*. It even fades music out when receiving calls and giving directions.
* Requires compatible car audio system
Technical specifications

• Audio out: 3.5 mm
  • Volume control: Yes
  • Portrait/Landscape support: Yes
  • Windscreen and dashboard mounting: Yes
  • iPhone charging via CLA: Yes
  • Dimensions: 5.17 x 2.7 x 1.96 in./131.43 x 68.68 x 49.86 mm
  • Weight: 4.13 oz./117 g
Note: The Car Kit dock is compatible with all iPhone models, but the Car Kit app only works with iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G
What's in the box?

• TomTom Car Kit
  • Adhesive disk
  • Documentation

TomTom has issued a press release clarifying that the mount purchase, $149.99, will not include the application. TomTom's earlier page in the Appstore lead you to believe the app was included with purchase. A fairly high price for the mount IMO, but not unexpected.

Correct. Third change $120 should be the final price. Earlier yesterday MacWorld was given a release by TomTom indicating the price to be $149 and clarifying it did not include the app. Later in the day they sent out another press release indicating the price for NA will be $119.95. A lot of confusion going on at TomTom lately.

Maybe if I didnt already have a 720 the price would not seem to high. Still think it should be under &100.

They are insane for charging that and not including the app... I must say this app turned out to be a huge letdown. I'm really happy i got a refund and went w/ Navigon.

Tom Tom for Navigator 5 and iPhone

They are insane for charging that and not including the app... I must say this app turned out to be a huge letdown. I'm really happy i got a refund and went w/ Navigon.

Hi To All!

I am always part of the silent majority but i have to tell you guys my opinion.
I don't think Tom Tom Corp has worked out all the kinks out of the iPhone/Tom Tom marriage.
I believe Tom Tom has dropped the ball AGAIN.
I bought the Navigator 5.1 back in January of 2006. ( i also had to buy the bluetooth GPS receiver) I used it on my IPAQ PPC2003, then migrated it to my HTC Phone 8525 (AT&T phone running Windows Mobile 5- $50.00 thru AT& T), then migrated the same software once again to my brand new Audiovox XV6700 (Verizon Phone running WM5 too (Free w/ 2 yr contract).

I tried getting an update to my Nav5 maps thru Tom Tom, no luck- They e-mailed me a note saying "This product is discontinued".
Then, when i had an issue installing it on the XV6700, no support at all from them either "phone not supported". After a few hours i was able to hammer it on the XV6700 (but lost some functionality- the "Call POI" feature does not work the way it used to work on the 8525, but i can live without it- see Google maps comment below..

After doing a lot of research i found out that TOM TOM "Intentionally" discontinued the Navigator series software because they were in bed with HTC and decided just to let us, their users, out in the cold. No more maps, no more support. The TREO users were the vast majority and I believe the kinks were never completely worked out.
I find it outrageous that with this lack of support they expect you to keep on buying the newest Tom Tom software continually in order to compensate their lack of compatibility
Just imagine if Microsoft decided to adopt the same policy! "No updates for you, buy windows again if you want the latest windows version" Just imagine that for a second.
Don't get me wrong ...
I love Tom Tom and it will have a very special place in my heart forever, but not in my wallet!

I will keep reinstalling my Navigator 5 software on the compatible devices until the end of time-
Buying it through the Apple store... I don't think so.... what if i want to change my handset and they decide that my app was for Iphone only, therefore I forfeit it? Have you noticed how all the new PDA phones have different OS?(android, safari, etc)
All they want to do is lock you into a very tiny cell so you can't go anywhere, you pay for it... but it's never yours to keep, and if you change handsets- tough luck, your purchases are down the drain.... remember the Kindle/1984 fiasco?

I have mastered the POI's (which is mainly why I am trying my best to keep Tom Tom on my phone) and have already a lot of my customer info there- I'll just keep buying cheap phones (that are still brand new in the box) that are nowadays "discontinued" but where top of the line three years ago.
By the way, i have downloaded a TON of freeware and have games, Rss for my podcasts and even a FREE radio app so I can listen to my favorite stations, and it's FREE!!!!!!!.

By the way, BING and Google Maps work great on my phone so I always check the updated listing whenever i want to find that new Starbucks that is not in my Nav 5 maps.
I spent $300.00 back in Jan 2006 and that included the maps ($150) and the Bluetooth GPS receiver $150).
The car mount was $29.00 and have used it for three years and my Ipaq and two different phones already!
All of it is still fully functional and in a proper place to be used as back up if the need arises.

No more charges nor monthly fees, no extras.... don't let them fool you!! Crunch numbers ahead of time!

Trust no one.... burn back ups of everything and Fight the power!!!

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you! (or get your money!)

Angel
Florida USA

iPhone Car kit and audio out WHAT!!!!!~

As a long-time TT owner and "recommender", I bought the iphone app and am generally satisfied. Yes, it does occasionally lose its way and gives very strange instructions but seems to recover quickly. I attribute this to the iPhone GPS chipset and assume that the TT car kit will improve this issue., The contact interpretation (even with 1.1) is still not good. Why, if it cannot interpret an address entered in VERY standard format (i.e. house number and street, City, State and zipcode) does it go through the "fill in the blank" routine with ALL of the data filled in. It has the data, it knows the data, it has populated the data, but insists on having me OK each part of the address?

Now to the (here it is! Oops now it's gone) car kit.
OK, I paid $100 for the app and I'm ready to pay $120 for the car kit. Oh look! it seems that TT has discovered another way to get a few bucks.
"With the audio out connector you can play all your favourite songs through your car's audio system with the optional audio cable*. It even fades music out when receiving calls and giving directions."

OPTIONAL? Are we talking about a standard 3.5mm Male plug to whatever I need for my audio system (you know, like $0.59 at Monoprice or $6.00 at Radio Shack?
Or ...................
are we talking about some mysterious TT cable with a funny plug like I bought for my 510 so I could interface my iPod/iPhone with the TT?
I can understand that TT couldn't supply every variety of connector but it had better be a standard cable.

Anyone from TT out there with an answer since it's really hard to get one from customer service.

"With the audio out connector you can play all your favourite songs through your car's audio system with the optional audio cable*. It even fades music out when receiving calls and giving directions."

OPTIONAL? Are we talking about a standard 3.5mm Male plug to whatever I need for my audio system (you know, like $0.59 at Monoprice or $6.00 at Radio Shack?

Per here, it's the standard 3.5mm. So it's the $0.59 monoprice cord.

Ask a Question