TomTom iPhone 1.3 w/ Car Kit losing GPS fix

From time-to-time on the open highway or off, my TomTom iPhone 1.3 connected up to TomTom's car kit will lose it's GPS fix and the map will jump around confused. This happens often enough to make me think somethings faulty.

I purchased the car kit when it first became available and the firmware version is 0.0.45. Hardware version is 1.0. IPhone is 3GS w/ 3.1.3.

Any thoughts on what might be causing my configuration lose it's GPS fix? I have not called support for help, figuring I'd check with other's experience first.

Thanks.

Is the charger lead secure in the cars ciggy lighter socket? if it drops the power connection the GPS receiver in the car kit de-powers and the iPhone reverts back to using its internal (pathetic) receiver - Mike

Yes, I've checked all the connections and they are solid as far as I can tell. I suppose the next thing for me to do is watch the tom-tom car kit companion app's GPS fix to see if it drops the signal.

How do I know if I'm running the most up-to-date tom-tom car kit firmware? There a place I can check? I'm not suggesting it's a firmware issue but am just curious at this point.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I am not too sure whether the firmware can even be updated by an owner, I have never had to do anything with it and mine was one of the first car kits ever released - Other than the power lead working loose in the ciggy socket I can't suggest much else other than contact TomTom to return it as faulty - Mike

Is it normal to see TomTom lose fix with a clear view to the sky when using the TomTom car kit? It's more often I'll see the map spin around and then report I'm miles further ahead in my journey than I really am. I'm on the road now (I'm not driving) and I'm seeing a bar or two turn gray in the TomTom companion app. Not sure if the gray bars are an indication of a bad signal or faulty hardware.

I'll give TomTom a call tomorrow to see what they think.

For what it's worth, the same thing happens to me. I'm almost always using the car kit, so I'm not sure if it happens without it. I do however, think that much (if not all) of this issue is a software bug in the tomtom app.
As someone mentioned above, the error almost always (in my case) shows that I'm miles ahead of where I am... but still on my route. Usually it shows that I'm at my next turn. Most of the time it corrects itself within a few seconds, but sometimes it bounces around showing that I'm near my next turn... and doesn't clear up until I actually take the turn.
If it were only a problem win the car kit, I wouldn't imagine that a bad gps fix would almost always put me a couple miles ahead on my route.

Hopefully they'll eventually fix this.

Ask a Question