TomTom Home

I just bought a TT One 3rd Edition today. When I got home, I tried to install the TT Home software. I had to download it from the website. When I started the program and attempted to check maps, I got an error message saying that I wasn't connected to the internet. I was.

I checked the preferences and it was on the default. I changed it to auto-detect proxy settings and that didn't work. I called support and they said to return it to default and reboot the computer. That didn't work. I called back and the rep said that it must be a firewall (I don't have one) and I need to contact either Microsoft or my ISP.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have to use the software to update my GPS?

I called back and the rep said that it must be a firewall (I don't have one) and I need to contact either Microsoft or my ISP.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have to use the software to update my GPS?

Are you SURE you don't have a firewall. Windows' own firewall may be installed and running (default setting). Check your control panel. If you do, then you can then allow TomTom Home 2 to go through. In Vista you click Start > Control Panel and then under security you click "allow program through Windows firewall"

Well, I checked windows (XP) firewall and it was turned off. I did add TT Home to the "list." The only other security programs I run are anti-virus programs (Nortons and McAffee).

I remember someone having a similar issue and the only way they resolved it was to reinstall TomTom HOME.

Well, in my case, the first thing I would do is toss Norton. Norton is nothing but a memory and system hog. I despise Norton... I've had to reinstall Windows after installing it, and I've had to remove it from other peoples systems because it wrote them off.

Anyways, my suggestion would be to temporarily (at least) exit out of Norton and McAfee and then reinstall TomTom Home to see if that solves the problem. If you are able to connect after that, then reboot and only disable one of them and continue in that vein until you figure out what is causing the issue.

I agree with SShadow... Norton and McAfee were great in their day, but they bloated their product to a point now it's useless. I've switched to the AVG product by Grisoft (I just use their basic anti virus program), and it catches stuff just fine while seemingly not interfering with other applications.

I didn't have any issues with installing Home while AVG was running. I did manage to screw up the Home install a couple times - but it seems it was more me trying to take the product past the limit and the lack of documentation online. I really have to commend the tech support people in America - they helped me out tremendously and even when the guy didn't know he actually got up and found someone who knew the answer. I just wish gas prices weren't so hight so I could go ride around and play with it more :p

OK, I actually uninstalled Symantec and McAfee and disabled Windows XP firewall. Then I reinstalled Home and NO JOY! This is getting frustrating.

OK, I actually uninstalled Symantec and McAfee and disabled Windows XP firewall. Then I reinstalled Home and NO JOY! This is getting frustrating.

Do you have another firewall (like Zone alarm) installed that may be blocking access to the internet?

Not that I am aware of. Other programs that access the internet (weatherbug and Quicken) work fine.

Is TT Home the only way to update maps? Can I download a file and copy it over?

Not that I am aware of. Other programs that access the internet (weatherbug and Quicken) work fine.

Is TT Home the only way to update maps? Can I download a file and copy it over?

Up to yesterday, I would have categorically said you CAN'T just extract the map zip file contents into the map folder on the unit; TTHome *MUST* be used to do the installing of the map.

That was until yesterday .... another user in this forum reported he did indeed do the extract menthod and did NOT receive the 'no maps found error' when booting up the unit.

He removed the entire old map folder, created a new one called 'North America' (no quotes) and extracted the zip contents to that folder, including the subsequent sub folder structure.

That method never worked for me or others but it worked for him. I still don't know how the activation file got created properly (have to use TTHome for that in order to 'lock' a map to a specific unit).

I also had problems with TT Home loading correctly. Ended up deleting the previous install and reloading the program. Problem (for me at least) is that the TT site is sporadic. There are some days that I get a good connection and good file downloads and other times that it seems to corrupt every file it tries to download. For me, it was just a question of trying it a different day. I've played the game of deleting firewalls and AV software but that seems to not make any difference as long as you've allowed the site access to your computer. I agree that Norton and McAfee are massive resource hogs with dubious benefits and that the free programs are just as good while being less invasive. But that doesn't necessarily mean that those programs are the problem, I'm more apt to blame the TT site for connection, download, and file corruption problems.

Well, in my case, the first thing I would do is toss Norton. Norton is nothing but a memory and system hog. I despise Norton... I've had to reinstall Windows after installing it, and I've had to remove it from other peoples systems because it wrote them off.
:D I could not agree with you more SShadow. I too have experienced the hell of a completely Norton'd (that's the polite term) system, fixable only by reinstalling Windows. I too despise it with a vengeance! I would not wish Norton (Symantec now) on my worst enemy. I do not want my system root-kitted (and crippled) by 'security' software.

OK, I actually uninstalled Symantec and McAfee and disabled Windows XP firewall.
errr, medicjm, unless you really know what you are doing and you have a hardware firewall between your machine and the internet, it is pretty reckless to disable the XP firewall. I would turn it back on if I were you, it does a pretty good job.

I can tell that the XP firewall is not the cause of your HOME problem. HOME can configure the XP firewall itself and has no problem getting through it.

Are you using the latest version of HOME, downloaded from TT? Do not use the one that came with your TomTom. That should be the first thing to do, get the latest version from tomtom.com.

Other things that may be pertinent:

Do you have a satellite connection to the internet?

Are you trying to connect from an office environment?

It's back on now. I'm not leaving that off for long. The TT Home version came off the website. I think it's Norton that is messing me up. I have Norton 360 on my computer. I regret buying it. Now I can't seem to un-install it for anything.

It's back on now. I'm not leaving that off for long. The TT Home version came off the website. I think it's Norton that is messing me up. I have Norton 360 on my computer. I regret buying it. Now I can't seem to un-install it for anything.

I understand there is an uninstall tool on Symantec's website for Norton stuff.

I understand there is an uninstall tool on Symantec's website for Norton stuff.

Here's a link for Symantec's removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
...be sure to choose the right product. There's one there for 'Norton 360'

Norton (Symantec) is one of the hardest to get completely off of your computer. First uninstall from 'Add remove software' thru your control panel, then run the downloaded application... then reboot.

I used to be a volunteer moderator for McAfee's AV help forum. Both Symantec and McAfee have gotten too big and have their fingers in everything. I currently use the free version of avast!

<<edit>>
I see you found the tool to uninstall Norton. I guess I was posting about the same time as you were. :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question