TomTom Home will not download latest map, error?

I recently had to send back my brand new TomTom Go 730 because of a hardware problem that couldn't be corrected by me (it was the screen flipping through pages all by itself).

TomTom support said they would "reset" my account because I was being sent a brand new factory sealed unit. With my original unit I was able to get all the latest updates including the latest map under the Latest Map Guarantee.

I hooked up my new TomTom Go 730 today (wouldn't you know I would pick a day support wasn't open) and downloaded the latest application as well as phone updates. Rebooted and followed all the instructions given by TomTom Home. When I try to download the latest map (it says I'm eligible and it is available) the download starts then I get this error.

ERROR: Internal/AssertFail: Code bug: We're sorry but an error has occurred during the use of HOME on your computer. Please contact Customer Support.
item using Durham encryption scheme expected
Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. function assert chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:473
throw new Bug(errorStr, "Internal/AssertFail" + (id ? "/" + id : ""));
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:754
assert(this._drm && this._drmScheme == "durham", "item using Durham encryption scheme expected")
2. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/installSelectSome/installSelectSome.js:676
let copiedItem = localItem.createCopyWithDurhamCertificate(certificateFile);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:424
this.finalizeDownload());
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:396
this._finishedSuccessfully();

Time: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 16:50:05 GMT

I've already reinstalled TomTom Home and all the updates for Home. I probably shouldn't have uninstalled Home because it did have the latest map downloaded from my first TomTom GO 730 but at the time I wasn't thinking clearly and thought a reinstall and reboot would maybe fix my problem.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help...

Did you happen to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents prior to trying for updates?

Did you log into Home with a new email address/password than the one you used for the prior 730?

You did say you ininstalled Home but you could try again. This time, download and install the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller from here:
Revo Uninstaller Pro - Downloads

Then download Home from here:
here

and try again.....

If no luck, call CS (tomorrow) at 866-486-6866

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I did make an Explorer backup right out of the box before I did anything.

I logged in with my old login because TomTom said they would "reset" my account. I also signed in under a newly created account on the same computer and that didn't work either, same error.

I then downloaded home onto another computer and logged in under the newly created account and it is downloading the latest map as I am typing this. We'll see how it goes. Must have been something on this computer (my Notebook) because the desktop upstairs seems to be working fine for the map download. <knock on wood>

I guess I'll have to figure out what is going on with my notebook or figure out a way to consolidate all the downloads and files onto one computer (app, maps, etc.).

I'll post back and let you know how it all worked out.

Thanks again for the quick reply and suggestions!

I figured out the reason why I couldn't download my latest map update on my Notebook, I needed to delete the contents of my "Download/map/North America_2GB" folder. It had a previous update for my old GO 730 and after deleting the contents (actually, I moved it to a safe location) the download is proceeding as it should. I was able to download the map update on my desktop but lacked the file space necessary to complete the install. Can anything else have gone wrong today? So, back to my Notebook after figuring out what Tech Support @ TomTom should have instructed me to do in the first place. Tech Support said they "reset" my account and all I had to do was plug in my new GO 730 and I didn't need to do anything else. That should have been my first clue.

Oh well, I'll see how this goes.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Success! Everything is up to date no thanks to TomTom Technical Support. Maybe that is a bit harsh but it has been a frustrating day for what should have been a simple transition.

Thank you dhn for taking the time to offer your help.

You are welcome. We lefties have to stick together....:p

Make an Explorer backup of your current unit's contents........

You cannot use this map on this device

We have had a Major problem ( still unresolved ) In the past 12 hours ., I’d like to give the scenario here because I don’t believe the technical help support box would give me enough characters to type into the box to send..
We bought a second tom tom 630 this past weekend .. and In firing up the second box I tweaked the opening screen, gave a few saved address’s and also logged into a PC and created a second account and password to get updates etc for the 2nd tom tom .

Everything is running fine until I get to the area of the PC program that states there is a free 1647MB North America 2GB update ..

I do a quick backup of the device before I download this update

The tomtom is linked via usb cable and is ready to receive this massive update..
I left the sd card in device during this update, and after 35 minutes I get an error message saying the update failed along with a large text message of what the error was..( I keep seeing the word chrome in the error message and am wondering if the tom tom updates thru IE explorer or can I use Google Chrome browser..)

Anyway so I re download this update, and after 40 minutes it says “you cannot use this map on this device:north_america_2GB_182 In a large red screen of the 630 tom tom.

This is nuts I say,, OK I'll backup the saved backup of my other tom tom since it is the same device .. I then open up my saved backup and open all folders to view and open up the extensions and drag the entire backup over to the M drive ..
Again after 35 40 minutes I get the same screen message ..

Okay I’ll take out the sd card and try again, start up- same message and BTW you cannot go past this screen to anything on the menu you are stuck on this screen.
Okay I’ll soft reset the device .. Same message .. Put the card back in, reset again ,, same message..
Okay I try and set up the device again as if it was fresh out of the box with the CD it came with.. This time I got the TOM TOM HOME 2 screen saying it was version 2.1, and my other first bought tom tom 630 was version 2.7 .. maybe this is the reason.. But then the pc screen informed me if I would like to update to version 2.7 .. I click Yes and go about setting up the program.. until I go to manually check for updates it says the device already has the updated maps ( but it failed remember) ., So I update anyway..
Same message after completion.. So now I am desperate.. I then go to the device via usb turned on and ready for updates as an M drive I then go the properties of the device and format it in fat32 .. Try all above again ,.. same message .. Even with a format ..
So I check the web site and find this problem and discover there is flash drive install to called clear_flash.exe that will wipe out the tom tom real good ..
Use this on the device.. No the screen comes up with a type of diagram to show that there is nothing on the device to use Big Red X coming out of the SC card as an illustration ..
But before I do anything I take out the sd card and swap it with my working tom tom
( remember this is the second one we bought the other one works..), and lo and behold the 1st tom tom starts up with all is good and maps are working etc .
Therefore I know now that the sd card is fine it is the device that is empty memory.
I then swap cards back again.. and leave out the card this time and drag the same explorer files over to the M drive,, 40 minutes later device informs me that again I cannot use this map on this device..
Okay I say Lets put the first backup before I did anything over to the second unit now and see what happens ..
Again I format,, and I then find the -Oct 11 6:05pm backup an d drag those over to the M drive and 40 minutes later it still has the same message ..

We taking it back to the store for a refund today as I don’t think it can be fixed..

Ideas ????

Last edited:
The downloaded map for the second unit will be found here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Once you make sure you are looking at the most recent download of the map (in other words, for the 2nd 630) you can try installing without using Home:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

But be careful you do NOT start trying to apply files from the first unit to the second unit.

And make sure you are doing Explorer NOT Home backups.

Wow. You did a better job of writing that up than I am of reading it. However, if (and that's a BIG "if" this morning) I follow correctly, you have maps on an SD card. They work on one TomTom. They do not work on the other.

That is normal.

Maps cannot be swapped between units. They are keyed to the serial number of the unit for which they were downloaded. So as a diagnostic tool, swapping the SD card between units isn't going to work for you. You'll get an error on the unit for which the maps don't belong. You can't use the backup of your other TomTom for exactly the same reason. You must use the backup you made of the 2nd unit on the 2nd unit.

You did the right thing by setting up a separate email account for your 2nd unit.

Let me try to read through what happened again a few times, but my initial take is that there was a failure of some sort during the map download you did for the 2nd unit on the 2nd PC (even the one that appeared to work), and that you may need to kill off the downloaded map on the 2nd PC and try again.

The downloaded map for the second unit will be found here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Once you make sure you are looking at the most recent download of the map (in other words, for the 2nd 630) you can try installing without using Home:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

But be careful you do NOT start trying to apply files from the first unit to the second unit.

And make sure you are doing Explorer NOT Home backups.

But if I did that ( in bold) would formatting the device bring it back to factory standards.. What I really need to do is to get this device back to factory reset,.. I know there is a soft rest but where is the hard reset??
This device even after formatting still recognizes this map that it does not want to use and informs me I already have the latest maps.. etc etc..
and looking over the notes about how to back up without usign Home my explorer looks differant than the one you explain .. see attachment
and yes I do have explorer opened to show hidden files ...

Attachments

• tomtom.JPG
    tomtom.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:
No kidding............you don't have any map there that has been downloaded.

Formatting the unit wipes out EVERYTHING. That's why an Explorer backup first is necessary.

Rename the download folder to downloadOLD.

Now connect second 630 to Home and select Update and see if the new map is offered then. Make sure you log in with the email address you created for the 2nd unit.

Good ol' Walmart took our 630 back in trade for a new unit this morning..
But I never want to see this problem again.. So will be very vigilant and careful in the future ..

Ask a Question