TomTom Home ver 2.8

I just ran a MalwareBytes scan and it came up with two "infections:"

Vendor: Trojan.FakeAlert
Date: 6/17/2011
Category: File
Item: c:\documents and settings\Owner\my documents\TomTom\Home\Backup01\internalmemory\installtomtomhome.exe

Vendor: Trojan.FakeAlert
Date: 6/17/2011
Category: File
Item: c:\tomtom backup\installtomtomhome.exe

Does anyone know what these represent? I removed (quarantined) both of them. Did anyone else using MalwareBytes and TomTom Home get the same "treats?"

It appears that a fairly recent signature file for Malwarebytes is accidentally picking up some old backups of the installer. Here's an example of another user who just spotted this yesterday. Sounds like a false positive - and you're not alone:

--------------------------------------------

Need some advice from the experts. Run malwarebytes every couple of weeks and also Anti Virus scans weekly using Avira.

Been a way for a few weeks and this morning set them both off.

Ran malawarebytes and there was this in the quarantine. it was in a folder thats been was a copy of my tomtom that has been on the laptop since November last year, hasnt been picked up in any previous scans.

Could it have been a false positive, or is there anything we should be worried about.

installtomtomhome.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

/Similar to canderson... I've run AntiMalwareBytes loads of times in the past and it's never flagged up \installtomtomhome.exe before.

I think we can be pretty sure there's nothing dodgy about that file (apart from the fact it installs Home :D), so it's in all probability a false positive.

Ask a Question