TomTom HOME v2.6.3.1609 - Problem

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One V2
Since updating my TomTom HOME to v2.6.3.1609 I have had a problem when updating the GPS Fix on my TomTom One.

When I connect the GPS to TomTom Home and then the internet, the program keeps telling me that there are no updates but I know the GPS Fix updates are a regular update and there should be an update.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening and if it is a problem with just TomTom HOME v2.6.3.1609, as I am tiring of going through the process of deleting files outlined in "How Do I Fix My TomTom GPS QuickFix Data Updates".doc each and every time I want to update the GPS Fix.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what document you are referring to but, humour me, by doing this:

If you navigate to this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\(yourname)\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris

delete all folders you see in the ephemeris folder but leave the ephemeris folder there. AND on your unit, use Explorer to see if you have a ephem folder on your unit. If so, delete all files found in there.

Now, try the process to get a gspfix using Home. If so, see if it works a day or so later.

Ok! so I was wrong about the .doc, my bad, what I did was paste the following into a Word document and stored it on my PC for future ref if I ran into the problem again or maybe somebody else on another Forum needed help.

Q17: TomTom HOME doesn't give me the option of updating my GPSQuickFix data. How do I fix this so that I can download the latest GPSQuickFix satellite data?

A: Sometimes the GPSQuickFix data gets corrupted and TomTom HOME doesn't recognize this, thus not allowing you the option to update the GPSQuickFix data. The following procedure will correct this problem:

1) Connect your TomTom device, to your PC
2) Browse your TomTom folders using Windows Explorer
> Delete the \ephem folder that is located on your TomTom
3) Safely disconnect your device from the PC
4) Reset your device following the instructions from TomTom's website >>>HERE<<<
5) On your PC, browse the \My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\ folder
> Delete the \ephemeris folder
6) On your PC browse the \My Documents\TomTom\HOME\ folder
> Delete the \FromDevice folder
7) Open TomTom HOME without the unit connected to the PC
8) Select "Update My Device"
> When prompted, connect your TomTom to the PC and turn it on
> Ignore all errors (including return failure codes or messages prompting to restart your TomTom) by clicking BACK or OK
9) You should now see QuickGPSFix as an option to install as an update. Select it and click INSTALL.

I have followed the above directions which appear to be what you are asking me to do and it does create the new folder and files but after a week of no connection to the net it will not update when I do connect to the net, hence the OP.

Well, the usual reason that no gpsfix is offered is that a corrupt prior download in one of the folders mentioned often prevents a future dl until those folders are 'cleaned out'.

Are you connecting to the internet with a direct connection or via wireless? The reason I ask is sometimes there is corruption of communications between a wireless connection and TomTom servers.

I doubt the following will assist the situation but you can try:
1. A reset of the unit prior to cvonnecting to the computer.
2. The clear flash tool found here.

Hopefully, someone will see this thread and offer better advice than I've been able to ....

After trying the fixes David has sugegsted ask yourself if you really need the qGPS, how long does it take for the device to obtain a position fix, as long as you use the device every few days then the data files the device needs will be kept up to date through using the unit (it gets this information from the satilites) - I have found no real advantage to using qGPS, also in the UK we have had a couple of occasions where poor qGPS data has shown vehicle position off in the fields! - Mike

Well, the usual reason that no gpsfix is offered is that a corrupt prior download in one of the folders mentioned often prevents a future dl until those folders are 'cleaned out'.

Are you connecting to the internet with a direct connection or via wireless?
The reason I ask is sometimes there is corruption of communications between a wireless connection and TomTom servers.

I doubt the following will assist the situation but you can try:
1. A reset of the unit prior to cvonnecting to the computer.
2. The clear flash tool found here.

Hopefully, someone will see this thread and offer better advice than I've been able to ....

Direct connection.

What data is likely to be lost with either a Reset or the Flash Tool?

I do make a backup before I do anything but I was curious as to what may need to restored or copied over after the above 2 steps.

After trying the fixes David has suggsted ask yourself if you really need the qGPS, how long does it take for the device to obtain a position fix, as long as you use the device every few days then the data files the device needs will be kept up to date through using the unit (it gets this information from the satilites) - I have found no real advantage to using qGPS, also in the UK we have had a couple of occasions where poor qGPS data has shown vehicle position off in the fields! - Mike

Hi Mike,

From the time I turn it on and enter my password it takes about 1 min to get a fix.

I am not a frequent user of my TomTom so I like to update the qGPS from time to time, I was not aware that the GPS updated the qGPS file when it was turned on I thought it had to be done through TomTom Home.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It doesn't download the qGPS file but it does receive the Ephemeris and Almanac data from the satilites, this data performs the same function as qGPS although it isn't valid for the same duration, to download the data takes just over 12 minutes for the Almanac and less than a minute for Ephemeris. If you don't use the device on a regular basis then we need to get your qGPS resolved as it shouldn't be taking 60 seconds to acheive a signal lock - Mike

Ask a Question