Tomtom Home Operation with added SD Card

I've got the latest version of TomTom Home v2.2 and last week added a 4GB SDHC card to hold my maps (with 920 POI files). When I start up Home I am prompted to choose between two "drives", the internal memory or the SD card. If I choose internal memory the app searches for updates and, typically finds one for QuickGPSFix. If I choose the SD card instead, since it can't find items which would typically exist on the device, I'm offered all sorts of things like voices for instance. Is there any way for Home to look at the entire 6GB (2 internal + 4 SD) as one address space?

Jack Weintraub

I've got the latest version of TomTom Home v2.2 and last week added a 4GB SDHC card to hold my maps (with 920 POI files). When I start up Home I am prompted to choose between two "drives", the internal memory or the SD card. If I choose internal memory the app searches for updates and, typically finds one for QuickGPSFix. If I choose the SD card instead, since it can't find items which would typically exist on the device, I'm offered all sorts of things like voices for instance. Is there any way for Home to look at the entire 6GB (2 internal + 4 SD) as one address space?

Jack Weintraub

Apparently not..... you will get really good at unchecking stuff you don't want during update sessions, though. :p

A Question

Is it possible to copy everything from the internal memory to a SD card so then the 720 would be able to access everytning?

Is it possible to copy everything from the internal memory to a SD card so then the 720 would be able to access everytning?

The x20 models can access everything now. Treats a sd as additional memory so 'sees' 6 gigs, if you have a 4 gig sd card, for example.

However....enough rambling ;)

To answer your question: Yes, if you want to (and the total of 'stuff' on the internal + what you have now on the sd card doesn't exceed the sd card's capacity).

Mind you, users seem to find that 4 gigs is the sweet spot for a SDHC card; yes, some report using larger sd cards in a 720. I'm just sayin' ....

Thanks

The x20 models can access everything now. Treats a sd as additional memory so 'sees' 6 gigs, if you have a 4 gig sd card, for example.

However....enough rambling ;)

To answer your question: Yes, if you want to (and the total of 'stuff' on the internal + what you have now on the sd card doesn't exceed the sd card's capacity).

Mind you, users seem to find that 4 gigs is the sweet spot for a SDHC card; yes, some report using larger sd cards in a 720. I'm just sayin' ....

I was just going by one of the previous questions that Jack W. said that on his 720, that it did not reconize the 6GB but instead, he had to choose between the card and the internal memory but your answer says that it will recognize the 6GB. I hope so cause I have just purchased a Kingston 4GB SDHC.
Thanks for your quick response

Kathy O.

I was just going by one of the previous questions that Jack W. said that on his 720, that it did not reconize the 6GB but instead, he had to choose between the card and the internal memory but your answer says that it will recognize the 6GB. I hope so cause I have just purchased a Kingston 4GB SDHC.
Thanks for your quick response

Kathy O.

Okay ... but to clarify:

When you power up your unit with the sd card installed, TT Home will ask which 'device' you want to select. You pick internal or the external (i.e., 4 gig sd card). Then, if you go to the update screen, it will dl (or attempt to) to the memory you picked.

So, let's say your NA map is in internal storage, you want to select that choice for mapshare updates. But, if you want to dl additional voices, for example, you can select the sd card and tt will download the additional voices there (I think you might need to create a folder called 'voices' (no quotes ... all lower case) on the sd card first.

In any event, the unit will recognize voices in both a folder by that name in internal & sd card; similarly, you can have mp3 files in a mp3 folder in the unit AND the card. Your 720 will list all the mp3 files.

Okay ... but to clarify:

When you power up your unit with the sd card installed, TT Home will ask which 'device' you want to select. You pick internal or the external (i.e., 4 gig sd card). Then, if you go to the update screen, it will dl (or attempt to) to the memory you picked.

So, let's say your NA map is in internal storage, you want to select that choice for mapshare updates. But, if you want to dl additional voices, for example, you can select the sd card and tt will download the additional voices there (I think you might need to create a folder called 'voices' (no quotes ... all lower case) on the sd card first.

In any event, the unit will recognize voices in both a folder by that name in internal & sd card; similarly, you can have mp3 files in a mp3 folder in the unit AND the card. Your 720 will list all the mp3 files.

OK -- Now I have the 4gb card and I have unzipped the new POIs so now my new question is: what should I put on the card and which should I leave in the internal memory? In your opinion, which is the best option to do. And, whichever, I do, will the unit still be able to do the computer voice directions -- that is one of the main functions for me. This is all so new for me!!!
Please HELP
Thanks,
Kathy O.

Last edited:
OK -- Now I have the 4gb card and I have unzipped the new POIs so now my new question is: what should I put on the card and which should I leave in the internal memory? In your opinion, which is the best option to do. And, whichever, I do, will the unit still be able to do the computer voice directions -- that is one of the main functions for me. This is all so new for me!!!
Please HELP
Thanks,
Kathy O.

Well, the poi's must be in the same folder as your map. If all that can fit in internal memory, I'd be inclined to leave the map folder on internal and put all our mp3's and photos on the sd card. But, assuming the 4 gig card you bought is a SDHC, that plus the fact the 720 has a fast processor, would seem to say you really could put the map on the sd card as well. Many 720 users have 1 map on internal, another on the card.

So.....in summary..... a long winded answer to say it probably doesn't matter how you set up your folders. The 720 will recognize where they are and use them.

sd card ...sorry need help or pm me

Just got 2gb card for 720. Like everyone else all I want t o do is free up space on internal as it says I only have 175 mg left.
So here is what I did and it did not work: I put card in, turned on HOME 2 and copied and pasted the car folder to card. Could not see cars after that. So I deleted recopied and still no cars. After much monkeying around I got the cars back in the 720 by just coping them and NOT the folder.
NOT sure I want to move the NA map SO could you please post detailed steps/instructions on HOW TO move and get things to card and what you can and can't move. Also any seps like bootup of 720 etc.
The posting on the voice recoginition is an example of of what I need as that worked GREAT after I finally got the correct map.
THanks

Just got 2gb card for 720. Like everyone else all I want t o do is free up space on internal as it says I only have 175 mg left.
So here is what I did and it did not work: I put card in, turned on HOME 2 and copied and pasted the car folder to card. Could not see cars after that. So I deleted recopied and still no cars. After much monkeying around I got the cars back in the 720 by just coping them and NOT the folder.
NOT sure I want to move the NA map SO could you please post detailed steps/instructions on HOW TO move and get things to card and what you can and can't move. Also any seps like bootup of 720 etc.
The posting on the voice recoginition is an example of of what I need as that worked GREAT after I finally got the correct map.
THanks

Does Explorer see the sd card? Is it formatted as FAT32? (it should be for a 720). If so, you should move folders to the card using Explorer, not TTHome.

To test, move your mp3 folder to the card. Make sure the folder name is all lower case and you have a mp3 file in it. Start up your unit. Move to the Jukebox icon and see whether the unit sees and plays a mp3 file; it should.

If it isn't seeing the file, I'd suggest doing a pin reset and try again.

heres what I did

First thanks for quick reply, I am in a motohome and our internet access here in Texas is by cell phone, 14.4 speed yup some of us are in the "dark side, still".
The IE says I have disk E: so I copied over the helpme file. I can see the files on IE but still can't see the info on 720 after turning on/off. So I did pin reset and still the folder says not available. Now could I have bad card or am I still missing a step. Pin reset didn't seem to do anything that I can tell.
The other "crazy" thing is Home keeps saying I have a new file to download and I say NO as I know it is the new update for Home BUT it starts it anyway so then I am really slow on the cell connection. So I have to keep the 720 disconnected from the Home till ready to do something.:eek:

The other "crazy" thing is Home keeps saying I have a new file to download and I say NO as I know it is the new update for Home BUT it starts it anyway so then I am really slow on the cell connection. So I have to keep the 720 disconnected from the Home till ready to do something.:eek:

Don't know what to tell you. You didn't mention whether the sd card was formatted as fat32. It should be. Also, you want a card with fast read/writes.

With only dial up speed, you sure do not want to be dl too much; I understand that.

sorry... it is FAT

The card says FAT on its properties. Also as I do "stuff" I can see on the 720 one or the other discs activated and the red X appears. But know where can I find any total memory readout. When I disconnect the 720 and push the blue bar then the ver.# it will read 22.5 ram left of 64. Should I "see" something as to disc space, anywhere other than when connected to the computer via the HOME2 software.
I did copy the below info from another post and that seemed to fit my needs BUT some how this isn't working, either.

You need to copy EVERYTHING from the internal memory to the memory card. Couple ways to do this: 1) Plug the Tomtom in (without the card) and plug the card into a separate reader. The tomtom and the card will appear as 2 different drives on the PC and you can copy everything over(( I have NO seperate reader so I have to do the next one))

OR

2) If you dont have a separate SD Reader, plug the tomtom in (without the card) and copy everything from the tomtom to a directory on the PC. Plug in the SD card...after the tomtom boots, then copy everything from the directory you created on the PC back to the Tomtom (with the SD card installed)
See anything that I maybe doing wrong

follow up today... at high speed connection, NOW

I formatterd card to fat 32, then made folder on card called "helpme" and copied everything to card fom 720 . 720 sees card on Home2 software as removable E:, BUT does NOT see the folder or read the info. I have reformated the card and seem to be losing disc space as now empty it read1910.
So not sure what else to do, am going to try and take out the card copy the files over to desktop folder, then put back card and copy the desktop stuff to the card. The card is LG Secure Digital Premium SD card, OK card or is that the problem??
Are there any file I can't move away from the NA map as I am not trying to move the map just stuff like cars,photo,mp3,helpme etc so I can free up space to put the 1610 poi's on the 720.:confused:

Well, you CAN remove csppech.dat files from the map folder for any States you are pretty sure you won't be using the unit in. These are used for Voice Recognition. Don't just delete them; put them in a backup on your hard drive. For example, the TX file is over 43 megs itself.

Thanks...went a different way

I tryed to reformat the 2gb card and somehow it formated to a fat32 1gb now instead of two. So I just went to the Nerds.com and bought a 4 gb card so hope fully my problems will be over. I think this card is BAD and I will try to return it to Fry's.
I know that I have made a mountain out of what should have been a mole hill.
I am NOT computer illiterate as I am A+ certified and have worked before retirement as a system admi.
So thanks and hopefully this will let me use the poi's for our travels.

Hi,
I just put the NA map on the 4gb card and everything works finee but somehow in the process, I deleted the car symbols. Where do they reside on the 720? By themselves or part of something else? Hopefully, I will be able to get them back but it is still nice to have all of those extra POIs.
Thanks for any help u can give me.

Kathy O.

Thanks For The Help

Somehow I did get the car sybols back -- I am not totally sure how I did it but I just kept moving things around so now everything is V. GOOD.
Boy, with the 920 POIs, I can navigate to so may more places, it is worth the trouble to do it.

I want to thank u all for helping me -- esp. Jack, riata2, & esp. dhn.

Thanks again!!!:) :)

Kathy O.

Ask a Question