TomTom Home Limitation?

TomTom Model(s)
RiderII, Urban, Start, and PDAs
Is TomTom Home limited to being able to connect one unit to a particular PC (and I assume IP address)? The reason why I'm asking is that both myself and my riding mate have TTR v2 with maps of Western Europe. What we want to do is when we go travelling we only want to take a netbook with us, but we need to be able to restore both machines if necessary. Am I making life more complicated than I need to? Assuming there are separate backup folders for each TTR then there shouldn't be a problem restoring from those as the netbook will not be connected to the internet. Or is there a file on the PC that TTH writes the device number to and won't allow another machine to download the files. (anti piracy)
Thoughts please.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as each of you log into Home with a separate email address/password, it will work fine having Home deal with separate units.

That said, if you both plan to download maps onto one computer, they'll (by default) go here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

and any other downloads will go to the same download folder.

So.............

After one is through doing his/her stuff, then in Home's menu for default location of folders for downloads, just have person 2 log into Home, change the default location and any downloads for person 2 should go there.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm now thinking that as long as we have copies of the two SD cards (in separate folders) we should be able to restore from those and forget about connecting to the internet. We will most likely be camping so internet access may not be readily available.

What I did do after posting my original question was to make a copy of the SD card. It worked fine. What I was worried about was being miles from anywhere with a useless SD card. At least I know I can have a spare to hand and the files saved on the netbook.

Isn't technology wonderful, at one time I just made sure I had a map of the area I was going to! :)

Cheers,

Ask a Question