TomTom Home has fuel prices for a gas station not on your map

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I went to reinstall the map on a 2gb SD card temporarily since I destroyed my highspeed 4gb card. I reinstalled everything on the TomTom. I have EVERYTHING except the map on the internal, and I have the map on the SD card. When adding fuel prices I now get the error in Home "TomTom Home has fuel prices for a gas station which is not on your map"

This has never happened before. I also went and made sure I added the large POI database onto my map, and I still get the error. Because of this error, I cannot add fuel prices to my TomTom. I still have PLENTY of months remaining on my subscription (which I got for free from TomTom Champions)

Thanks all!

Thanks dhn. I just called them and they sent me links on how to reinstall the map and OS. I just got an idea though. Before I do that I'm gonna try something first. I'm gonna try to reload my 830 small POI database and see if that works. If it does work, that means that the 825 and 830 poi databases are not the same. I'll post back in a few minutes.

I used to be able to utilize the larger poi set with my 720 and an earlier application. Now, for whatever reason, the functionality is lost when I try to use them.

The application simply does not recognize the (built in) poi categories any longer.

A clean installation of everything would certainly fix that. The larger database does work for sure :)

I tried reloading the original POI database, and still get the fuel error. err I'm just going to go out and buy an 8gb extreme card in the next 15 minutes I guess. This has only started happening since I split the map and OS onto separate memory devices. I've just tried 3 installs again with the same result. This is exactly why I like keeping everything on one single device. Unless you have a small SD card, there is no reason to split the map from the OS. Just keeping it all on one memory device is enough. :)

Other than the poi issue (which really isn't since the map's pois ARE working as designed), I have no problem with the application on internal and the map on a card; in fact, last night I went and got another 4 gig sdhc card because I purchased a Western Europe map and installed it on the new sdhc. I had no need to change my application or add it to the new card.

I just bought myself a 8GB sandisk extreme III. In my case, I'd be able to keep both maps on my device at all times and have plenty of free space left, and not have to switch cards... so :p!!!!!!! :) My birthday was May 27th, so I was given a $100 best buy gift card. I didn't think I'd have use for the giftcard. What pisses me off is that Best Buy SD cards are redicoulously EXPENSIVE. The same card you and I both had (Sandisk Ultra II 4gb) is $14.97 at wal-mart whereas at best buy is $33.99!!!! Problem is that Walmart no longer carries the card in stores.

But err... it didn't work. Fuel is still being a big meany to me. I've even deleted it off of my PC using home's "remove items" function. When I removed the fuel price service, it imediately appeared as an update when hitting "update my device." It will download, but when installing, the same issue happens. I'm gonna call them back right now. So far for the trouble, they were nice enough to restart the subscription from today's date rather than Feb. That's hoping that I get it to work.

Another reason I have everything on the SD card is because I have the standalone TomPlayer installed on the internal. If I ever want to watch movies, I simply remove the SD card and turn on the device. It immediately boots into TomPlayer and I can play my pre-loaded movies, or even insert an sd card with movie files on it. The reason I have tomplayer on the internal is because sometimes I don't feel like carrying 2 SD cards. On an airplane it's much simpler to just remove the sd card with Navcore on it.

Thanks for everything so far dhn :) I wuv you! :p

Last edited:
Hmmm - people rarely buy the fuel subscription. Maybe it doesn't work with v8.30 and no one else reported it yet.

Try backing up your map folder on the tomtom, deleting it, and then installing a fresh map 825 from "add traffic, voices...", then "Items on my computer".

If that works, do the same with a fresh map 830 from the same place.

That may help troubleshoot the issue.

I got the subscription for free from TomTom champions for writting good reviews about their lovely devices.

And the subscription has worked fine with map 830. It had been updating just fine. Not only that, but it worked great on a fresh installation on map 830 yesterday, that is untill I mistakingly destroyed my 4gb sd card. Once I tried installing it again on anything else, nada.

I've done at least 5 fresh installs of everything today with no luck.

Curious - does it work on a pure "clean install"?

The cleanest install you can do is to backup everything, format internal/SD, rename mydocuments\tomtom on your computer to mydocuments\tomtombackup, and then let HOME redownload and reinstall everything.

If that works, you can selectively restore pieces from your backup until you find out what breaks it.

Mutha-effin Vista!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: I was nearly done writting out a long post with details and then it just restarted on me after installing updates. I think a popup may have come up while typing.. AHHH!!! ok here goes again.

I've tried about 9 clean reinstallations lately with no luck. This includes deleting everything from TomTom Home and downloading everything fresh with no luck. The whole reason for the clean installation in the first place was because I was having trouble adding new voices. I kept getting the message "This voice does not work on your device" for every computer voice. This most likely has to do with the fact that I once used NavCore 8.204. In order to get voices working with that version, I needed to download a special version of Susan and Dave. Well after udating to newer navcores I had no problem using the voices, but was never able to add any new ones.

I then tried deleting ALL voices from Home AND the device and reinstalling them. They would install fine but wouldn't work, and then Home again would give me the message "This voice does not work on your device" Even though I have the latest navcore, it's still expecting me to install the special voices. NavCore 8.204 had left alot of files behind which might have confused Home. We my plan was to reinstall everything on the SD card. So I did, and everything went smooth. Voices worked, fuel prices worked, so then I go to remove the 4GB SD card from the PC and *CRACK!* I had run it over with my office chair.

Ever since I tried reinstalling everything again, no luck. This means also deleting EVERYTHINGGGG from Home and redownloading everything fresh. Everything is now being installed on an 8GB extreme III sandisk card. Even before I got the Sandisk, I had tried reinstalling everything on a normal 2gb, internal, another 4gb I had laying around, and none of those worked either. TomTom doesn't even know what's going on :(

This has become so annoying that I'm thinking on even just ditching the fuel prices since everything is working perfectly smooth now.

I have 2 installations of Home. I dual boot my PC with XP 32-bit and Vista 64-bit. Both OSes have the same exact fuel price issue. It very well may be that TomTom may have messed up and added a gas station which isn't on our maps with the latest fuel prices update. The fuel prices update every day, sometimes even twice a day. Every day I update my device, new prices are available.

OoOo I got a lot of anger out now while writting this for the second time :)

What I'm going to try right now is reloading my backup I made right before any of this started happening, but of course I'll come back to the voice problem.. I'll let ya know what happens. If I still get the error when trying to update my fuel prices then it's clearly on TomTom's end.

Ohh and yes I have tried yesterday to recover fuel price files from the backup onto the new installation, but no luck. There are fuel price files scattered everywhere.

Last edited:
Muthafaking Vista!!!!!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad: I was nearly done writting out a long post with details and then it just restarted on me after installing updates. I think a popup may have come up while typing.. AHHH!!! ok here goes again.

I've tried about 9 clean reinstallations lately with no luck. This includes deleting everything from TomTom Home and downloading everything fresh with no luck. The whole reason for the clean installation in the first place was because I was having trouble adding new voices. I kept getting the message "This voice does not work on your device" for every computer voice. This most likely has to do with the fact that I once used
NavCore 8.204. In order to get voices working with that version, I needed to download a special version of Susan and
Dave. Well after udating to newer navcores I had no problem using the voices, but was never able to add any new ones.

I then tried deleting ALL voices from Home AND the device and reinstalling them. They would install fine but wouldn't work,
and then Home again would give me the message "This voice does not work on your device" Even though I have the latest navcore, it's still expecting me to install the special voices. NavCore 8.204 had left alot of files behind which might have confused Home. We my plan was to reinstall everything on the SD card. So I did, and everything went smooth. Voices worked, fuel prices worked, so then I go to remove the 4GB SD card from the PC and *CRACK!* I had run it over with my office chair.

Ever since I tried reinstalling everything again, no luck. This means also deleting EVERYTHINGGGG from Home and redownloading everything fresh. Everything is now being installed on an 8GB extreme III sandisk card. Even before I got the Sandisk, I had tried reinstalling everything on a normal 2gb, internal, another 4gb I had laying around, and none of those worked either. TomTom doesn't even know what's
going on :(

This has become so annoying that I'm thinking on even just ditching the fuel prices since everything is working perfectly smooth now.

I have 2 installations of Home. I dual boot my PC with XP 32-bit and Vista 64-bit. Both OSes have the same exact fuel price issue. It very well may be that TomTom may have messed up and added a gas station which isn't on our maps with the latest fuel prices update. The fuel prices update every day, sometimes even twice a day. Every day I update my device, new prices are available.

OoOo I got a lot of anger out now while writting this for the second time :)

What I'm going to try right now is reloading my backup I made right before any of this started happening, but of course I'll come back to the voice problem.. I'll let ya know what happens. If I still get the error when trying to update my fuel prices then it's clearly on TomTom's end.

Ohh and yes I have tried yesterday to recover fuel price files from the backup onto the new installation, but no luck. There are fuel price files scattered everywhere.

If you do get it working try deleting the whole Loquendo folder and the Voices folder. There are remnants of loquendo7 that a
HOME "remove" doesn't erase.

Then remove the voices from "items on my computer". Then download the voices again.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that. I'm going to restore my backup right now and try deleting that folder to see if it fixes the voice problem.

I restored the backup and fuel prices are working again. For whatever reason, my voices are working again without doing anything... Weird. I still wish I could start from a fresh install though, only because there are many extra files and folders that NavCore 8.204 left behind such as simcard, microbrowser, etc, but I guess I'll just ignore them. I do have an 8gb sd card after all so space isn't an issue. Additional voices install fine now too.

Glad to hear it's working again.

Don't worry about the simcard/microbrowser folders.

8.350 is also an upgrade of the European 8.204 software, so a clean 8.350 install also contains those folders.

HOW TO FIX FUEL PRICES - NOT DOWNLOADING - UPDATED Nov 2010

I too was having this issue. Long story short, when updating fuel prices, it couldn't delete a specific file to update it, so I deleted it. BIG PROBLEMS. It would not longer list fuel prices, told me I needed to subscribe to a service I'm already subscribed to, and would not update. After dozens of soft and hard resets, deleting folders/files, and numerous phone calls, we came to a solution:

THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION:
Connect your TomTom to your computer (Say Yes when the GPS asks to connect).

1. In TomTom HOME, Go to Manage my GO and remove all references to fuel from both the DEVICE and COMPUTER.
2. Go to My Computer (In my case, Windows 7 lists it as Computer).
3. Go to the Drive "INTERNAL". This is the hard drive on the GPS.
4. In the INTERNAL Drive, do a search for ALL files, using the search term "fuel". In my case with Win7, just type "fuel" in the search bar, upper right. If it helps, you should enable viewing hidden files in the folder options.
5. DELETE ALL FILES/FOLDERS THAT HAVE "FUEL" IN THE NAME from within the "INTERNAL" drive.
6. Go to your Documents folder and open the TomTom Folder.
7. Do the same search as above for any file with "fuel" in the name.
8. DELETE ALL FILES/FOLDERS THAT HAVE "FUEL" IN THE NAME from within your TomTom folder.
9. Now Close TomTom Home, right-click on the TomTom icon next to the clock and exit, and just for giggles open Task Manager and click on processes and make sure you close any "TomTom" processes.
10. Now open TomTom Home again. It should update and show multiple files. I had 2 files. Both were called fuel prices. One had a file size of 5.2 MB while the other one (I assume an update) did not list a size. I unchecked the no-size file and downloaded the 5.2 MB file. It installed fine. Then I went back and hit Update again, and downloaded the no-size files (I assume the update). It installed fine this time.
11. On the bottom-right hand corner of TomTom Home, click the icon to disconnect your TomTom. Doing it this way instead of just unplugging it seems to ensure the files are completely transferred.
12. Now when your TomTom GPS loads, you should have your fuel prices back and working.

I hope this helps. While I am quite familiar with computers, I am new to TomTom. I know there are many TomTom gurus on here, and I respect their knowledge about TomToms. I simply list some of the more obvious steps in case a newbie (like myself) searches for this solution. This took me 4 frustrating, hair pulling days to fix, and the customer support rep and I both learned at the same time what to do to fix this issue, as they hadn't heard of it in the US. Thanks again.

Thanks for that solution. I don't think it occurred to any of us that it could be a simple file issue on our TT devices, with a cure similar to reloading botched firmware. At least in this case you may have out-guru'd the gurus.:) With any luck it will work for some others with the same problem

Thanks again.

I too was having this issue. Long story short, when updating fuel prices, it couldn't delete a specific file to update it, so I deleted it. BIG PROBLEMS. It would not longer list fuel prices, told me I needed to subscribe to a service I'm already subscribed to, and would not update. After dozens of soft and hard resets, deleting folders/files, and numerous phone calls, we came to a solution:

THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION:
Connect your TomTom to your computer (Say Yes when the GPS asks to connect).

1. In TomTom HOME, Go to Manage my GO and remove all references to fuel from both the DEVICE and COMPUTER.
2. Go to My Computer (In my case, Windows 7 lists it as Computer).
3. Go to the Drive "INTERNAL". This is the hard drive on the GPS.
4. In the INTERNAL Drive, do a search for ALL files, using the search term "fuel". In my case with Win7, just type "fuel" in the search bar, upper right. If it helps, you should enable viewing hidden files in the folder options.
5. DELETE ALL FILES/FOLDERS THAT HAVE "FUEL" IN THE NAME from within the "INTERNAL" drive.
6. Go to your Documents folder and open the TomTom Folder.
7. Do the same search as above for any file with "fuel" in the name.
8. DELETE ALL FILES/FOLDERS THAT HAVE "FUEL" IN THE NAME from within your TomTom folder.
9. Now Close TomTom Home, right-click on the TomTom icon next to the clock and exit, and just for giggles open Task Manager and click on processes and make sure you close any "TomTom" processes.
10. Now open TomTom Home again. It should update and show multiple files. I had 2 files. Both were called fuel prices. One had a file size of 5.2 MB while the other one (I assume an update) did not list a size. I unchecked the no-size file and downloaded the 5.2 MB file. It installed fine. Then I went back and hit Update again, and downloaded the no-size files (I assume the update). It installed fine this time.
11. On the bottom-right hand corner of TomTom Home, click the icon to disconnect your TomTom. Doing it this way instead of just unplugging it seems to ensure the files are completely transferred.
12. Now when your TomTom GPS loads, you should have your fuel prices back and working.

I hope this helps. While I am quite familiar with computers, I am new to TomTom. I know there are many TomTom gurus on here, and I respect their knowledge about TomToms. I simply list some of the more obvious steps in case a newbie (like myself) searches for this solution. This took me 4 frustrating, hair pulling days to fix, and the customer support rep and I both learned at the same time what to do to fix this issue, as they hadn't heard of it in the US. Thanks again.

Thanks for that solution. I was having this problem and your solution has saved me a load of time! Thanks again!

Ask a Question