TomTom Home for OSX + Download updates = crash

I am using TomTom Home version 1.6 Build 020 (May 15 2007 15:20:37) on a MAC running 10.4.10

Their could be multiple updates to download. But TomTom Home crashes at approximately 74% on the "North_America_2GB (corrections) (308 KB)" update only.

All the other updates download successfully, including POI updates.

Reinstalling TomTom home has not helped.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Has anyone else found a solution?

When I submitted to TomTom support they said, "The issue you are having with home is our server is currently down for updating and this is where the problem lies. You have done nothing wrong with program you are using. At this time we do not have estimated time that the server will be back on line. We appreciate you're patience with this matter."

"No estimated time"????

I was really excited about the purchase of my TomTom but I feel that their support section and overall web site needs allot of work, especially if they are trying to break out in the US market. It in a way feels like a Beta product despite them declaring it isn't. Their lack of "honesty" when it comes to what features work and don't work with what mobile phone and mobile phone service needs to be rectified quickly. Perhaps they should get a liaison to come over to these boards and read what people are having problems with and address them on their web site or even here.

Last edited:
I am using TomTom Home version 1.6 Build 020 (May 15 2007 15:20:37) on a MAC running 10.4.10

Their could be multiple updates to download. But TomTom Home crashes at approximately 74% on the "North_America_2GB (corrections) (308 KB)" update only.

Reinstalling TomTom home has not helped.

There are two things I would try. First, make sure Home isn't open and go to your Documents folder. You should see a folder called TomTom. Take that folder and move it to your desktop or move it to the trash. Keep in mind that if you've made a backup it is probably in the folder you just moved and once you're up and running you should make a new backup. Now that you've moved the folder, try and update your TomTom again.

If that doesn't work, open the Library folder inside your home folder and then go to the Preferences folder. Move both the com.tomtom.tomtomhome.plist and the HOME Preferences file to the trash. Also inside the Library folder is a folder called Caches. Move the TomTom HOME folder inside Caches to the trash. Finally, go to your home Library/Application Support folder and move the TomTom folder to the trash. Try the update again. Good luck.

When I originally submitted this to TomTom support I was having this problem with TomTom Home for OSX. I tried it using TomTom Home for the PC and did not have any problems.

I wrote back TomTom support and said that I do not believe this to be a "server" issue as I was able to sucessfully download the udate from a PC.

Their response, "The new Tom Tom home version 2.0 is not compatible with Mac OS systems at this time."

This was a little confusing because in my message to them I did say that I was using "TomTom Home version 1.6 Build 020 (May 15 2007 15:20:37)"

UOCOOPER, thanks for your help. That did work. I think TomTom support needs to hire you.

Last edited:
Where did you get the 1.6 version for Mac??

When I download the latest Mac software from TomTom, it is 1.5

Thanks, Scott K.

Where did you get the 1.6 version for Mac??

When I download the latest Mac software from TomTom, it is 1.5

Thanks, Scott K.

ditto, I am on 1.5 build 106... not sure what the deal is with no HOME 2.0 for Mac... I feel a little slighted by TT as a Mac owner.

Downloaded the TomTom Home 1.6 from the TomTom web site. Here is a screen shot of 1.6

Attachments

• tomtomhome.jpg
    tomtomhome.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
thanks for the link... I too downloaded and installed, though my Tom Tom is out docked in the Eclipse in the car so I can't mess with it to be sure.

It's interesting they would have multiple "latest" builds available... and where is HOME 2.0 for Mac users?

Hello,

I just installed Home 1.6... I was originally using 1.5 (downloaded from tomtom.com), but it kept recognizing my TomTom One 3rd Ed as a "Go" instead of a "One". I could install and delete files, but I couldn't use Home to operate my One, and I couldn't download any updates.

Anyway, their support emailed me back with a link to Home 1.6. It now recognizes my One as a One, but I still can't operate my tomtom from the computer. Is this happening with any of you?

Thanks!

Hello,

I just installed Home 1.6... I was originally using 1.5 (downloaded from tomtom.com), but it kept recognizing my TomTom One 3rd Ed as a "Go" instead of a "One". I could install and delete files, but I couldn't use Home to operate my One, and I couldn't download any updates.

Anyway, their support emailed me back with a link to Home 1.6. It now recognizes my One as a One, but I still can't operate my tomtom from the computer. Is this happening with any of you?

Thanks!

So just to be on the same page, your trying to run Virtual TomTom? Have you tired using HOME 2.1? Perhaps the latest version will help you.

Unfortunately version 2 for the Mac isn't out yet. TomTom only supports certain models through the virtual HOME and the ONE isn't on that list right now.

Ask a Question