TomTom Home, Apple Macintosh and mapshare?

TomTom Model(s)
one V2
I'm a Mac user, and it looks like we are stucked in TomTom Home 1.5 for now, until TT decides we to need a bit stable software that will actually works without crashing.

Did anyone have any luck using mapshare on a macintosh?

I can not get it to work with my One V2,upgraded with the latest maps and software.

I do not have or want to run Bootcamp btw.....;)

I've been running HOME on a dual G5 with MacOSX 10.4 for about a week now with no problems. Haven't tried doing anything with mapshare though. At least TomTom is supporting the Mac. Garmin announced they were porting all their applications to the Mac several years ago, but there's still no Mac version of Mapsource.

I gave up using the Tomtom with my iMac (24" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz, Mac OSX 10.4.11). The 1.5 software was the latest version I could find. It installed fine and even downloaded and installed map updates. But now, it just crashes. It loads fine as long as I don't power up the GPS. When I do, it just crashes when it tries to detect the Tomtom. Perhaps this is an issue with those of us with Intel-based Macs.

Had to resort to using my Vista machine (which I use for work). Downloaded 2.1. It works perfectly with it. Now I was able to download the Mapshare updates, which the Mac app wouldn't do.

I may try again with 1.6, but for now, it works with the PC, so I may just leave well enough alone.

I gave up using the Tomtom with my iMac (24" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz, Mac OSX 10.4.11). The 1.5 software was the latest version I could find. It installed fine and even downloaded and installed map updates. But now, it just crashes. It loads fine as long as I don't power up the GPS. When I do, it just crashes when it tries to detect the Tomtom. Perhaps this is an issue with those of us with Intel-based Macs.

<Big snip>

voodoogmr - I have an intel mac MBP 2.33 and both 1.5 and 1.6 work OK for me. Not as well as the windoze versions but never had a problem with crashing. Have you tried the usual mac fixes?

rhys

Have you tried the usual mac fixes?
Yep, tried all the usual stuff like deleting the preferences, changing USB ports, etc. It still crashes whenever it tries to connect to the ONE XL. It mounts the drive just fine though, which I can browse with Finder with no trouble. So, I don't think it's a USB issue.

Don't know why it worked perfectly the first time I installed it. The only thing I've done is let it download and install the map updates that one time. After that, HOME crashed the next time I tried to run it. Been doing that ever since.

The PC recognizes that it has the most recent maps and software and only downloaded the MapShare updates. So, I assume there isn't anything wrong with the software on the XL either.

Eh, not a big deal. My PC is right next to the iMac, so it doesn't really matter that I have to use it for the updates. Just kinda frustrating when I can't find a cause for a glitch like this.

Something is balled up in the Mac version of TT Home that crashes when you try to UPLOAD your MapShare updates to TomTom.

I've been using the Mac version 1.6 for a week or so without crashes.

Then it started crashing. Every time it tried to connect to TT for updates, crashed. Restart. Crash. Restart. Crash.

Then I plugged it into TT Home in Windows. Updated. No problems.

Then back to the Mac... no more crashing.

I've verified that the Mac version will crash for me only when I have MapShare corrections on my TT waiting for upload. It happens every single time. When I clear off the updates with the Windows version, I can connect it to the Mac again.

Getting better and better.

After a lot of emailing and phonecalls with the helpdesk, it now turns out that the new Western-Europe map I bought, is not even compatible with the macintosh TT Home version 1.5, so it's impossible for me to download and install the map on a mac, let alone use mashare, and i simply dont have a PC to do it.

So now I have to find someone with a PC, willing to let me install TT Home 2, and then let me sit there for a few hours, waiting while Home downloads and install the maps on my One.

I'm pretty close to switching to any other navigation device, at least they do not even promise their **** will work on a mac.:rolleyes:

Thanks, will try that, see if it works for me.
TomTom told me to keep watching the website, because a update for the mac is in the make, but thats the standard answer.

Thanks, will try that, see if it works for me.
TomTom told me to keep watching the website, because a update for the mac is in the make, but thats the standard answer.

LOL - coming soon, Mac version 1.55 :p

Another fine example of TomTom web site stupidity...

This page will display a link to what they call the "Mac Latest" TT Home ... It's still version 1.5

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17

Then this page from the TT FAQ's section show you how to download Mac version 1.6.020

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=mac&FID=7445

How embarrassing for them.

Last edited:
LOL - coming soon, Mac version 1.55 :p

Another fine example of TomTom web site stupidity...

This page will display a link to what they call the "Mac Latest" TT Home ... It's still version 1.5

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17

Then this page from the TT FAQ's section show you how to download Mac version 1.6.020

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=mac&FID=7445

How embarrassing for them.

I can't even see the page linking to TT Home 1.6, probably blocked for non US ip's.
The direct download link worked.

Just installed the 1.6 version, but that keeps hanging at the "checking for updates" screen, after correctly recognizing my One.
I think 1.6 is for the 710/910 only, and it will not work for me, I have to force-quit it to stop.

Guess a long wait for a Home 2.0 for the mac is in my near future, and untill the day it will appear, I'm stucked with the old western-Europe map, or have to find a friend with a PC who let me use his computer.

I will probably wait.....maybe for once there indeed will be a Home update for the Apple users.

I wished tamtam still was here......

I think 1.6 is for the 710/910 only...

Nope. Version 1.6 works with my TT ONE 3rd Ed.

It hangs or crashes when checking for updates IF you have MapShare changes to UPLOAD. At least that what I've seen. Without uploading MapShare changes, everything else downloads and works ok.

EDIT: I've also seen mine "hang" on checking for downloads but that's intermittent so I can just restart it and it works.

Last edited:
Will try a few more things then, maybe turn off mapshare on the TT, and see what happens.

I hate this, it's why I have a mac in the first place, not have to tweak every single piece of hard and software to make it work.....

Will try a few more things then, maybe turn off mapshare on the TT, and see what happens.

I hate this, it's why I have a mac in the first place, not have to tweak every single piece of hard and software to make it work.....

It sounds worse than it is. It works most of the time for me.

I just wish it had all the same features as TT Home 2.1

Won't work, no matter what i try.
Home hanging again,busy getting udating information, nothing happens, no network activity, no TT activity, Home simply stops but keep telling me it's busy. ( I admit, I did the same things in various jobs over and over)

I'm out for a few hours, luckily enough to a place I already know about were to find it.;)

Won't work, no matter what i try.
Home hanging again,busy getting udating information, nothing happens, no network activity, no TT activity, Home simply stops but keep telling me it's busy. ( I admit, I did the same things in various jobs over and over)

I'm out for a few hours, luckily enough to a place I already know about were to find it.;)

That's too bad. No doubt that TT Home for Mac is very flaky.

I hope they have different programmers for this project than the ones who created their web site. :p

Ask a Question