TomTom Home 2 issue chrome problem

PLP

TomTom Model(s)
One 130
Welcome here,
my first post.
I just spent a week trying to find out what is wrong with HOME software.

It simply does not run on my desktop. It runs fine on laptop, desktop at work... but not on my home desktop.

I know it might be repeated issue, but searching the forum did not really answered my problem.

So, here is a copy/past of problem report.

ERROR: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIProperties.get]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js :: anonymous :: line 283" data: no]
in chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:283
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:283
this._dataDir = directoryService.get("Pers", CI.nsIFile);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js:258
this._initAppDirectories();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/app.js:39
this.settings.start();
3. chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.js:45
gApplication.start();
4. function onLoad chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.js:15
gMainWindow.start();
5. function onload chrome://tthome/content/ui/mainwin/mainWin.xul:1
<?xml version="1.0"?>

Time: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 02:20:46 GMT

Of course after several tries I got a reply from TomTom support team that they are unable to solve it.

Some background:
Desktop at work/school: Intel based, 4 GB ram, Win XP SP3, Firefox
Laptop: Intel based, 2 GB, Vista Bus, Firefox
Desktop at home: AMD based, 4 GB, Vista Ultimate, Firefox

As you see the only difference is CPU. Could it cause HOME to crash?

Anyone, please give me a hint.
I tried all possible solutions, system is up to date, everything else works fine.

Any help, please.

BTW, cheers from KIA forums

Last edited:
Is there any chance you can switch to IE as your browser? Uninstall and reinstall the Home application and try again.

May help.

Thank you for reply.

I did try that. Did not help at all. Default browser was IE. Full removal of HOME, restart, installation and still the same issue.

The other two systems where HOME works just fine use Firefox too.

UPDATE:
I installed it on another AMD based laptop - works fine. (XP SP2, AMD Turion64, 1 GB, IE).

I really do not know where to look for a solution.

Are there any specific programs required for HOME to run it correctly?

To make it clear - there is no problem with connecting GPS to computer. It works just fine (external storage). The only problem is the HOME itself. It would not open at all - no matter if GPS is connected or not.
HOME opens in other systems though.

Any ideas?

Look in add/remove programs. Do you see dotnet framework 3.5 installed? If not, go to Microsoft.com and download and install it. Then try Home on the unit.

That's all I can think off.

There are lots of posts about workarounds needed to get random HOME issue working with Vista.

I have XP, so I never tried any of them. I remember seeing posts that were resolved by the following:
- run HOME in XP compatibility mode
- run HOME as administrator
- change permissions on all the HOME folders (from the prior email) to read/write by all
- put everything on internal and don't use SD
- Try HOME 2.4 (I'll track down a link tonight)

These are just guesses. Home is very flaky with Vista so it may be rounds of trial and error.

I have tried all above. And I believe even more...
Before I contacted TomTom CS I went through all possible solutions (XP compatibility, run installation with admin perm - although I am the admin :), run program with such permission, other compatibility modes - older windows...) and some other more or less weird things. Every time the same result.

Probably I will wait till I get Windows 7 and see what will happen with this.

EDIT
BTW, permission change on folders did not help either.

I wonder what is missing in my system that HOME does not work.
For some reason, which I can not find now, I was able to run HOME on other two computers, but not this one...

Last edited:

Ask a Question