tomtom help wanted

Let me claim my ignorance, I know NOTHING about tomtoms. This is going to be a Christmas gift for my husband who knows tons about everything, but doesn't know he is getting a tomtom so I can't ask him. That said. I have seen where the Tomtoms are open source and that you can program them to act as an MP3 and play videos. Is this correct? If this is correct can someone tell me if all of them you can do that with or just certain models? Yes, my husband knows and Linux and runs a Linux computer so I know if I get him the right one he can do what ever is necessary. I just don't know this stuff.

Thank you for any help and I'm sorry for sounding dumb. I tell my husband his specialty is computers mine is people. :p

Cassy.

your husband will have no problem playing mp3s on the TT. There are some additional packages he can install on an SD card that will allow playing movies as well (tomtomplayer)

Firstly, congratulation to your husband, he's surely a lucky dude :)
Secondly, yeap, Tomtom PNA is Linux based OS, Linux guru can spend much time to play around and sure do have some fun.
That's one of the reason why I picked Tomtom over Garmin/Magellan.

Certain models? yes, most of the low-end models such ONE do not offer many tweaks. Get GO version if you can.

Suggest your husband check in here after Christmas. There's a lot of information you can find here that is not published. For example, unless you ask TomTom Support, they won't tell you that they will provide one free map upgrade within 30 days of the purchase. Since you bought it on black Friday, December 26 will be the last weekday after Christmas that he can get that upgrade!

Thank you

It looks like the tomtom GO is the one to get. Is the GO 720 a good one or recommended? if not can someone tell me why?

Thanks again,
Cassy.

It looks like the tomtom GO is the one to get. Is the GO 720 a good one or recommended? if not can someone tell me why?

Thanks again,
Cassy.

Hi Cassy. I have a 720 and I like it! I've been using one for over a year.

Ask a Question