Tomtom GO5000 asking to shut down every 30 minutes during map updates

Interesting ...
On your device, I see "Europe with Benelux Buildings" (1060) (8.402GB)
On MyDrive Connect, I see just "Europe" (1105) (6.441GB)

That would appear to be two entirely different maps (irrespective of the version number).

I wonder if you have one in internal memory and one on the SD card now?

Please advise (screenshots, as you have already provided) what you see in the "Free up space" and the device's map selections if you REMOVE the SD card.

OK, jus tried removing the SD card.
MyDrive seems to go completely nuts...

1680805799948.png

The point is that further down, under the "cards" section, it states different information:
1680806276039.png

But when trying to uninstall the "Europe" map, it fails with a completely strange message

1680806148239.png

And to be fully complete, this information appeared when I switched the interface to English (as it was in French by default).

Right before (in French) it was showing only one map on both menus, but the "Europe 11.05" in the "remove" section, and only the Europe + Benelux buildings in the "maps" section.

Honestly, this program looks completely bugged, I have no clue where he gets his information.
I would so much prefer that the GPS appears as a regular disk drive like my Garmin Oregon device, where you see the installed maps as files...
This is just getting insane. I feel like I'll drop the case (and the GPS altogether) :-(

Additional information: when I put the SD card back, it's still marked as empty. On the device itself I cannot format it because it's already formatted.
But when I had the charging stations installed, which only left 8 MB left in the main memory, it would refuse to install an additional voice because there would be no space left, and advised me to install an SD card (as if it wouldn't see it, while the program indicated 30 GB of free space on the card).

This is so frustrating and illogical.

OK, MyDrive Connect is clearly behaving strangely... And maybe I have a problem of a ghost map installation on my GPS, that only becomes visible in MyDrive Connect under some circumstances.

So, when I first start MyDrive Connect and connect my GPS, this is what I see:

• Update screen:
    1680808134169.png

• Remove contents screen:
    1680808158084.png
  • Maps screen:
    1680808187456.png
So the information looks indeed inconsistent.

If I then switch the interface of MyDrive Connect to English (and I do absolutely nothing else !!!), the app goes back to the main screen, but then in the contents section, the information has changed drastically:

• Update screen:
    1680808300822.png
  • Remove contents screen:
    1680808320673.png
  • Maps screen:
    1680808348538.png

If I switch the interface back to French, I keep this "dual map" view.

Trying to uninstall the "Europe" map from the maps view doesn't work: the system waits endlessly for the device, then shows an error stating that servers are too busy (which I doubt is the real reason). And updating the Europe+Benelux buildings map doesn't work neither (but in that case there's no message, it's just the update doesn't happen).

I'm afraid my device has some corrupted map configuration for some reason. No clue how and when this happened.
And no clue if there's a way to clean up the mess :-/

With the SD card removed, does your device still just show the old 1060 Europe/Benelux Map version loaded?

Yes, the presence or absence of the SD card doesn't seem to have any impact.
When installed, it is shown as present, formatted, with 30 GB free - but MyDrive Connect doesn't seem to consider it for installing additional things (at least not voices, but it might be voices must be installed on the main memory ?).
Anyway, neither on the GPS nor on MyDrive Connect do I see any difference in behavior when the card is installed or not.

@aw_be
Have you ever tried to switch to a different map under "Settings" -- "Maps" -- "Choose other maps"?
Both maps should be displayed there and you can select and use the newer one as the navigation map.
But that has nothing to do with your other problems.

Hi @Navigierer ,

Thanks for jumping in. Any help is appreciated :)
Unfortunately, the second map is not visible on the unit.

339245093_1349439588935266_2918773946039265243_n.jpg

That's why I'm afraid I'm fighting against a completely corrupt map setup on the unit, which prevents the active map from updating (which doesn't trigger any error, but simply doesn't take place), and I can't remove the ghost map with MyDrive Connect neither as this also fails with an error (but a random "busy servers" error as stated above).

I've sent the whole description to Tomtom's Support as well, we'll see if they can give some advice - though their initial advices are very much unrelated to my actual problem (checking internet connections and the like, while there's no problem of downloading at all...)

Just for a test, can you try to download and install a small map like Namibia or Egypt to see if that works.

Hi, sorry to jump in here but I have exactly the same problems as aw_be , tried to update maps yesterday after the mandatory system update, wonder if this update is corrupted.

I Have the same problem! Thanks to the offered solution the TOMTOM does not shut down now after 30 minutes. However there is no progress in finishing the update. For hours I now have the message "Systeem wordt bijgewerkt" I also have, by the way, the same issue with the maps and the SD card. I really think there is huge bug in the operating system.
1695915268185.png
In order see if anything happens i opened the "taakbeheer". I noticed that the disk activity is only 0.1Mb/s If this stand for the download speed from my PC to the TOMTOM it will take 22 hours to complete! (roughly) I really hope someone can come u with a solution

FYI, I gave up on my side. The unit is completely corrupt, and I can't update anything anymore. Tomtom vaguely tried to help, but people of the helpdesk don't seem to understand the issue, whatever way I present it. And on such an old unit, I doubt they'll invest lots of effort. Since I was also having the battery not charging properly anymore, I decided to drop the case, and move to a phone app instead. I guess the days of physical units is kind of over...

This isn't the same as the old shut down due to loss of power.

The 30 minute time-out only occurs on cellular-equipped models like your 5000. However, it should NOT occur during updates. In fact, it should never occur at all unless you are on the main 'map' screen - which you are - at least partially. This 'feature' was rolled out for your model in the last production code release (22.100.0002).

This needs to be reported to TomTom. Even with the main map screen in the background, the update should take priority.

However, as a work-around, please do NOT have your device on the map screen while you try to update the maps. I can see the map screen in the background of your first image. Instead, set your device on a menu screen of any kind before starting the update and see if the problem goes away. Let me know if this works for you.

But it is not. I'm updating maps now. And it is really annoying when every 30 minutes the unit is going into sleep mode and connection is interrupted. Then I have to unplug cable and plug it again, the unit wakes up and update continues.

Ask a Question