TomTom GO LIVE Top Gear edition $199.95

Get one quick before they pull them all from the shelves <g>. They'll no doubt soon be collector's items!

Top Gear keeps creating a bit of controversy over there. Trying to figure out which model they've used -- could be a GO1535.

Trying to figure out which model they've used -- could be a GO1535.
If you can believe the tech. specs, it says it has a uSD card slot, but the GO1535 hasn't.

So I think it's based on the GO825.

Interestingly, the Top Gear model for sale in the UK only has 2GB memory so is only equipped with UK/Ireland maps, but your US version has 4GB just like the GO825 Europe has.

The best bit is that they have renamed the "Mute" button as "Stig mode"!

Trying to figure out which model they've used -- could be a GO1535.
If you can believe the tech. specs, it says it has a uSD card slot, but the GO1535 hasn't.
Mine (the one that has the funny name) does. The 'flap' is very well concealed, but it's there.

I'm just going by the spec. on the TT website....

It's there - it just isn't functional yet - no firmware support. Same for a couple of other TT models like the 825.

Looks to me like it is based on the 820 in the UK and 825 in the US. UK version has screen size 4.3" and weighs 203g, US version has 5" and weighs 8.5oz (= 241g), same as 825. And, as Andy has said, the 2/4gb memory difference.

Slight anomaly in the link given by the OP - the general (US) ad lists the device having 4.3" screen, yet click on the detail spec and it states a 5".

Del

Lots of misinformation on the various sites. We report them directly to TomTom when we see them but heaven knows when the changes occur, especially now that the European division is in charge with making changes to US & Canadian sites as well !! :eek:

Good catch (and welcome back) - heck of a deal on an XXL540TM!

Rumor has it that the $60 deal was in error... We'll see if the honor orders taken at that price or not.

Good catch (and welcome back) - heck of a deal on an XXL540TM!

Is that what it equates to? After looking at other models on the TomTom site I thought it was a GO LIVE 1535 M.

Rumor has it that the $60 deal was in error... We'll see if the honor orders taken at that price or not.

The site now shows the price at $199.95. I have a feeling somebody input a $70 price instead of a $70 discount. Shipping status still shows "pending". Keeping my fingers crossed.

No, my bad on this particular "Top Gear Live" model. It is one of the more recent GO models. Given that it's a GO and has a resistive touch screen, you are correct - that narrows it down to the GO1535 (AFAIK, the only recent 4 digit GO model with a resistive screen, for which I am duly appreciative!)

What confuses me is that this was originally released as a UK/Europe model due to the tie in with the BBC show of the same name, and only 54,000 of them were supposed to have been built -- and built, one would have thought, with SIM cards that wouldn't normally work over here. They must have swapped out SIM cards at the same time they loaded the North American maps on these units.

Anyway, it's a collector's item now.

They had to pull the model from the UK shelves when it was discovered that the licence deals with the BBC were never finalized.

... and then had to reconfigure them for sale elsewhere? The rule was that the BBC show couldn't profit from the association, but if they're still selling them anywhere, then ??? I found the whole thing very confusing, and still do!

AFAIK, they were stopped from making any more, but were allowed to sell all the ones already produced.

Perhaps they were enjoined from selling them in their 'home' market, hence their appearance elsewhere? I would have thought that 54K of them would not be that hard to unload in the markets where the show is heard.

I went for the $70 deal too, and was very excited, but it looks like my order was simply cancelled without notice or anything!

I thought they were trying to get rid of those models asap because of the BBC issue but either way I am very disappointed that Tom Tom would not honor the price they've put on their website (I already shopped for accessories even!).

Did any of you got their deal through?

I went for the $70 deal too, and was very excited, but it looks like my order was simply cancelled without notice or anything!

I thought they were trying to get rid of those models asap because of the BBC issue but either way I am very disappointed that Tom Tom would not honor the price they've put on their website (I already shopped for accessories even!).

Did any of you got their deal through?

My shipping status still shows "pending", however my Paypal payment status changed from "pending" to "completed" on Sunday. I think if they intended to cancel the orders they would not have completed the charge three days after the order and two days after changing the price back to $200.

Just make sure you're not on a non-US site (indicated by the flag logo in the upper right corner). I ended up on the UK site once and my order seemingly disappeared too, but when I changed to the US site the order reappeared.

Ask a Question