TomTom GO LIVE 740 - Gas Price Problems?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 740 LIVE
Anyone with the LIVE 740 see that the Gas prices have not updated for the last week or so? I have tried changing the gas type from "Premium" to "Standard" to "Diesel" to "E-85" to whatever but it still shows prices from about a week ago or so. I know it says that they could be "5 days old", but it appears that no information has changed for over a week or so. Anyone else????

Yes, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times lately, When I first purchased my 740 several months ago, the gas prices were at most a day or two out-of-date, but more often than not, current. Sometime in the past 60 days a disclaimer appeared on my gas price screen saying prices could be up to 5 days old. That appears to be the case, as the prices were no longer as current as my MSNDirect gas prices. I don't pay close enough daily attention to see how old they are, nor check every price, but a couple of spot checks showed prices waaay off indicating they were at least several days old.

Yes, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times lately, When I first purchased my 740 several months ago, the gas prices were at most a day or two out-of-date, but more often than not, current. Sometime in the past 60 days a disclaimer appeared on my gas price screen saying prices could be up to 5 days old. That appears to be the case, as the prices were no longer as current as my MSNDirect gas prices. I don't pay close enough daily attention to see how old they are, nor check every price, but a couple of spot checks showed prices waaay off indicating they were at least several days old.

Ya, they really "lured" me in for the subscription. I LOVED the gas prices the most but still did use the other LIVE services, so I purchased a 1 year subscription. At that time, gas prices were pretty much SPOT ON, maybe a day off... then the disclaimer showed after the software and map upgrade... about a week or two ago the prices have not budged. I have not called support because they are pretty much useless... I know they will just give me some BS, walk me through some resets, check my connect and then tell me everything is working fine and that they could be off up to 5 days. Right now it shows a Regular Gallon of gas is $2.65 were as it really is about $2.48 and has not been $.265 for almost 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Not sure what to do, I feel if their Gas service isn't going to work then I should be compensted something, but how do I convince them its not working?

I have a 740Live as well and I also have this complaint about the gas prices. How often are you connecting to TT Home? One of the downloads daily ( if not more often) is a gas prices update. What this updated is doing I am not sure considering the fact that the 740 can connect on its own to the TT server. I know that around where I live the gas prices are not moving much. One station was stuck at $2.75 for over two weeks. I let my subscription run out but I am tempted to renew just for the traffic which saved me twice.

I have a 740Live as well and I also have this complaint about the gas prices. How often are you connecting to TT Home? One of the downloads daily ( if not more often) is a gas prices update. What this updated is doing I am not sure considering the fact that the 740 can connect on its own to the TT server. I know that around where I live the gas prices are not moving much. One station was stuck at $2.75 for over two weeks. I let my subscription run out but I am tempted to renew just for the traffic which saved me twice.

I just connected to HOME yesterday, but this should make no difference since the Gas is a LIVE service and d/l's from the live server. As for the other LIVE service's such as traffic, I have not had to use this since I have been experiencing problems. I have used Google Search to Navigate, but that is a simple search, not a service that depends on a on-going changing information like traffic, weather and gas.

As for the traffic.... when traveling, this to has saved me... along with the option to re-route avoiding Toll Routes.

Jon

This is EXACTLY why I did not want to call TOMTOM support. When calling, the GENIOUS of a support tech told me that Gas prices DID NOT use the Live Services and that I had to connect to HOME daily to get the updated price list. When I told him I begged to differ and that I had watched the prices update and download before, he began to insist that I was wrong he was right and he was the "TomTom tech and Employee". I additionally asked him why I am paying for the LIVE Services, he said for Traffic, weather and Google. I then began to tell him the Traffic was listed under my LIVE services and he said, well yeah, but it still needs to be downloaded with HOME. Personally I think he doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

Additionally, this is the link he gave me to fix my Gas prices not updating problem!!!
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

Come on... WTH does this have to do with gas prices not updating?

Jon

Spoke with TomTom Support again yesterday, and lord-and-behold... guess what??? The Gas Prices ARE a live Service and ARE DOWNLOADED via the TomTom 740 unit, imagine that. The real kicker, the tech told me they couldn't figure out why the original support person sent me to the link he did and that TomTom was experiencing Gas (Fuel) Price Server problems. She continued to say that customers will be reimbursed for the outage.

Now if only I would have been informed of this on my first call, I would have been a lot happier!

Jon

If the gas prices on the 740 work like they do on the 720, you have a choice of updating via LIVE services or Home. Either process will put the gas prices file into the same place on the Tomtom, and will be used the same way by the application.

I assume any delay in PLUS will also occur in LIVE or HOME data, but I also haven't paid that close attention. Regardless of how old the prices are, the relative price in a given neighborhood is pretty constant, so stale prices are still just as useful as current ones.

Ask a Question