TomTom Go 730T Very slow

Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help?

I've had my 730T nearly two years now but it has become very slow.

I first noticed this when I had downloaded the Greece maps last year. When I took that map off it it seemed to speed up, but has since become slow again. The menus are slow to respond, the actual maps are quite slow when driving (but still quite usable) and when I have selected a destination to 'navigate to' the summary map takes so long to render it has barely shown anything of any use by the time the summary screen disappears after 10 seconds.

Up until now I have just been ignoring it, but when I went out with a friend the other day she was using the 'tomtom one' I gave her when I upgraded. It is SO much faster than my 730T! The menus respond to touch instantly and the maps move smoothly when driving. The summary map also renders instantly.

Is there any way I can start fresh and reinstall everything on my 730T again? It appears to use it's own internal memory as the SD card slot on the bottom is empty (apart from the dummy card).

It only has the original UK & western europe map on it and a speed camera subscription....

Thanks in advance!

Before doing any serious housecleaning -- help us by assuring we know what you mean by "slow". What is operating slowly? Is the display always lagging behind your position? Slow to plot a route? What?

By any chance do you have a lot of POI categories turned on? Due to the processing horsepower needed to keep checking to see which ones belong in the current map view, you can really slow a unit down by having more than a few running at once.

Hi there - thanks for the reply.

The actual gps positioning seems fine - I've never really had a problem with that. I'm talking slow in relation to the operating system. So when I select any icon from the screen it can take up to second to respond. My old 'one' responds instantly. When driving, the map seems to scroll every half a second or so - the old 'one' scrolls more smoothly.

I will go and check the POI 's and see if that improves the slow map rendering...

I have disabled all poi's now - it may be a little faster but not very noticeably....

There is a factory reset option in one of the menus - perhaps I'll try that before anything else. I assume I will lose my favourites by doing that though?

Before you do the Factory Reset, consider doing a hard reset (won't bother your settings). Take a paperclip or similar and press gently on the reset button in the bottom of your unit for a couple of seconds. See if that improves things first.

If you ever do the Factory Reset from the front panel, copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your North American map folder to your PC and have it ready to copy back when you're done. It contains your favorites. It's actually good to have a full copy of your TomTom in a "known good state" at all times in case something goes south. Here's how we describe it here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

I'm not familiar with specific problems/solutions that slow down the detection of a press on the screen. Perhaps someone else who has seen that will pop up with a suggestion.

Ask a Question