TomTom Go 720 stuck on dock screen

I have had my unit for years with NO issue until I finally decided to update it. Now, it will no longer work. Even once I've disconnected it from my computer, it wants to be in the dock. When I turn it on, I get a red x flashing at me and the picture looks like it wants to be docked.

Help!

First - what kind of update was done when you connected? Was there a large firmware update, for example?

Carefully take a paper clip or similarly sized object and press the reset button in the bottom of your unit for a few seconds (you don't need to press hard). It's just to the right of the serial number sticker below the oRESET label on the bottom of your unit. See what that does for you and please report back.

Hi there,

I have tried the reset button several times.

It simply reboots and goes back to that same screen with the red circle and white x inside it.

oh and as for the update - it updated a lot of things. as i said, i had the unit for years and had never plugged it into the computer.

i also added some voices.

Because a firmware update with a new bootloader may have been part of your update, we may have to start over on the firmware update and not depend upon any backup you might have made a long time ago.

Before we start with that, please make a backup using your PC of your unit's current contents. Follow this procedure if possible: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Let us know when you've got that accomplished.

Connect to the computer. Make an Explorer, not Home backup. Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, no Folders or their contents. Then connect to Home and install the application offered. It should be 8.371. Then disconnect from Home properly using the device disconnect icon. See if that helps.

Connect to the computer. Make an Explorer, not Home backup. Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, no Folders or their contents. Then connect to Home and install the application offered. It should be 8.371. Then disconnect from Home properly using the device disconnect icon. See if that helps.

I'm not really sure what you mean. I am using a Mac, so I don't have explorer. Are you telling me to just back up my Mac while the Tom Tom is plugged in?

To answer the other poster, no I do not have any old backups. As I mentioned, this was the first time I ever bothered to plug it in to the computer. I never felt it necessary since it always worked fine. I really just wanted to update my map and then this happened.

I'm not really sure what you mean. I am using a Mac, so I don't have explorer. Are you telling me to just back up my Mac while the Tom Tom is plugged in?
No - use Finder to back up the entire contents of your TomTom to your hard drive before we start the process of wiping out the firmware currently on your unit and starting over with that.

Also a side note .. since you are using a Mac, when we delete files from your TomTom (which we will be doing in the next step) your OS will leave a local trash can on your TomTom of the deleted files. To have enough space to do what needs to be done, don't forget that you'll need to empty your trash to clear the space on your TomTom.

Ok I understand. I made a TomTom folder and am copying all the files from the TT onto my hard drive. I will then delete them and empty my trash. What step follows?

Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents, using Finder. Then connect to Home and get the application offered. Disconnect from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon.

i figured that was the course of action, so i tried that earlier today only to end up with the same result - the same screen stuck there with the picture of the doc and the flashing red circle with a white x.

this is ridiculous. it worked fine for years until i tried this update. i should have never plugged it into the computer.

what else can i try?

Do you in fact have a sdhc card in the unit? If so, remove it and reboot the unit.

If not and you have the Finder backup, format the unit. Use DOS format. Then restore the backup.

If that doesnt work, connect to Home, run the emulator (operate my 720) and plan a trip. When complete, disconnect properly from Home.

no card in the unit.

i don't know how to format dos with my mac, and i can't try your third suggestion because the "operate my go" is not selectable... it says it's not available with my unit for some reason.

i don't really think this is going to be an easy fix. i'm pretty certain i need to send it somewhere and have it fixed. i'm in canada, so can you provide me with that information please?

i rely heavily on my TTG, so being without it is going to be a real problem. i am so sorry i ever plugged it in. :(

Ask a Question