TomTom GO 720 Resets all the time!! :(

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
First off I want to say this site is great, I have learned way more about my device on this site than tomtom.com or the manual. Kudos to all that post.

I have had my 720 for about a week and the device resets itself all the time and is driving me crazy. Basically what happens is the following:

1) I use the device
2) Arrive at my destination
3) Shutoff the device
4) Within 5-10 seconds the device will come back on (this happens about 50% percent of the time)
5) The device boots and shows me the legal jargon, that you have to click "I agree" to. This is the screen that comes up if you push the reset button on the bottom of the device

This is very frustrating because every time I get out of the car I have to wait until I make sure the device is actually off.

Does anybody else have this problem with the 720? I am starting to wonder if I have a defective device. I have the latest maps and firmware (the one to get voice recognization working).

Thanks,
Blaiz

There is probably something wrong with your unit. I used a 720 for about a week and have a 920T now and have never seen that behavior. Just curious - does it happen when you're plugged into external power as well as batteries? If you go to the menus you can set a preference for the unit to shut down when external power is lost. Have you done that? If so then you don't need to do anything to shut off the GPS when you park your car. If you just leave it alone it will shut down in 10 seconds.

It happens both with external power and battery power. I have the automatic shutoff feature on, but after it shuts off then it just turns itself back on. Very Frustrating :(

Last night I tried restoring the device with the backup I made when if first came out of the box, but that did not work either. As soon as I got to work I shutoff the device and then it came back on. I will have to call tomtom support and see if my device is defective.

I called tomtom support and they had me delete the tomtom application from the device and then reinstall the latest version. Not sure if this will fix the issue, but I will monitor for a few days and update the thread if this works.

Problem is still happening after updating the TomTom application. I called TomTom Support and they said I have a defective device. :( Atleast it is under warranty.

Ask a Question