TomTom Go 720 Dying While Plugged Into Car Charger

Ok, so I've seen a few threads about the battery not holding a charge and needing to be replaced, but I fail to see why this should be an issue while my GO 720 is plugged in to my car charger. The green light is on indicating it's being charged but after a bit I still get the dead battery sign and it shuts off.

Sorry for the problem you are having. You might have a bad car charger or the charging circuitry internal to the GPS might be defective. If you have another car charger (just about any USB based charger will work) try it to see if it will power your device. If it fails then my guess would be the internal circuitry.

Thanks, but I haven't had any problems with the cable before and I've had my 720 for a while. Also, the green indicator light comes on showing it is getting power. The problem only started after I did a complete $100 map update.

And you confirmed the power plug is firmly seated in your TomTom? My 930's plug to the TomTom must have been damaged at some point. I didn't realize it wasn't connecting correctly and had a couple instances of it not charging before I realized the plug needed to be pushed in harder than normal to seat properly.

Interesting!!
Mine did the same thing today (I didn't look to see if the green light was on) but I don't know if I had installed the new map or not. I just updated the software this evening so will check the car charger tomorrow. It charges ok off the laptop.

but I fail to see why this should be an issue while my GO 720 is plugged in to my car charger. The green light is on indicating it's being charged but after a bit I still get the dead battery sign and it shuts off.

I have had this problem for a while and the TT stays on while in the computer docking station so I am willing to try a new car charger. I see one can buy it at Best Buy in Canada for $28 :(. I guess I will check on line for a better price but being in Canada makes it more problematic getting easy access to some of the best price sites. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Thanks dhn. That is cheaper than the corresponding TT charger shown here:

TomTom GPS Car Charger : GPS Cables & Chargers - Best Buy Canada

But now that I look at the rocketfish universal shown in the picture I think I see that the usb end is not angled perpendicularly to the cord as it is with the TT OEM charger.

As I rest/sit my TT just loosely on hard plastic in the vicinity of the 'floor' shifter I would think that the rocketfish design wouldnt let the TT sit properly.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it would be an issue but why not take your 720 to a FS near you and check it out to make sure it's ok?

They should let you try it ... if they want the sale.

Ask a Question