Tomtom GO 720 and Samsung SPH-M300 on Sprint - a solution!

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom GO 720
I've decided to post this because after much net searching, I've not found anything that's given any help using the new Tomtom with my cellphone but was able to work out a way to pair the phone and the 720 together. I apologize if I am repeating an earlier post, but hope this can help save people some headaches.

First of all, I'd really like to thank "a4000" on the tomtomforums who had a similar problem with the Samsung A870 - the proceedure I finally worked out is based on instructions he posted for his phone in the archives - it isn't exactly the same but it is very close.

To pair the Tomtom GO 720 to the Samsung SPH-M300 phone on the Sprint network, follow these instructions and it should work (at least it worked for me).

1. On the phone, go to Settings, select Bluetooth and Enable Bluetooth (of course)
2. Set visibility to Always visible (you can hide after the phone is paired)
3. On the Tomtom, search for the phone - it should find the phone and ask if you want to connect - do NOT answer this for the moment.
4. On the phone, go to Trusted Devices and have the phone find the Tomtom - select it and when it asks for a PIN, enter 0000
5. On the Tomtom, NOW answer yes right away.
6. If all goes well, the phone should acknowledge that it's paired up and the Tomtom will find the phone's features, report that it is good for data connection (don't know if it works, I was interested in hands free rather than data plus services but you never know) and for hands free (YAY!)
7. You can now hide the phone again and you should be ok for using the Tomtom GO 720 hands free. It did download the phonebook from the Samsung M300 just fine and worked great both receiving and making calls.

While some people have reported problems with the 720 handsfree, I'm glad to report mine at least is clear as a bell on both ends - worked like a charm.

Again, hope this is useful and saves some people from bashing their heads in frustration.

Carterway!

Hey, good job. I'll have to give this a try. I don't think I have a setting on my Samsung for Always visible...where is that? The only thing I have I think is turning on/off discoverable mode. Oh, and thanks for the credit.

Hey, good job. I'll have to give this a try. I don't think I have a setting on my Samsung for Always visible...where is that? The only thing I have I think is turning on/off discoverable mode. Oh, and thanks for the credit.

Go to the menu and select "Settings" - select "Bluetooth" there and it should give an option for "Visibility" - when you select that, it'll give 3 options - Hidden (the default), Visible for 3min, and Always Visible. I tried the Visible for 3min but for some odd reason, that just didn't work - I may have not moved quite quck enough *shrug* or it may have just been one of those things (convergence of the planets was against me). :-D Also, it may be a setting specific to the SPH-M300 - don't know if othe phones have different settings. In any case, once I got it to pair once and recognize the Tomtom as a trusted device, the two seem to get along ok after that - at least so far.

Let me know how it works out for you there - thanks!

Carterway

I don't have the visibility option, I only have discoverable mode on/off which supposedly only lasts 60 seconds. Oh well.

I don't have the visibility option, I only have discoverable mode on/off which supposedly only lasts 60 seconds. Oh well.

Still may be worth trying - I think the crucial thing is the order things occur in as much as anything else. I may do some testing and see if it was a fluke that kept me from connecting with visible for 3min setting.

Thanks for this post. I have a Samsung M500 (SPF-M300) and I was having a hard time pairing it. Your step by step instructions let me connect it without an issue. Thanks for the post!

Thanks for this post. I have a Samsung M500 (SPF-M300) and I was having a hard time pairing it. Your step by step instructions let me connect it without an issue. Thanks for the post!

Glad I could help. :)

Carterway

Last edited:
You Rock

You Rock,
I Just paired my Samsung M500 with my Go720.
I tried previously and couldn't get it to work, your tip worked like a dream.
Awesome.:)

Pair TomTom 720 with Samsung SGH-T619

:) :D :) ;) Thanks to your step by step procesure I was able to pair my TomTom 720 with my samsung sgh-t619. It works like a charm, thanks a million!!

Ask a Question