TomTom Go 700 drive too small

Hi all.

As a newbie I'll probably get laughed off this forum .... but here goes:

I have a TomTom G0 700 that has served me really well and I really am not inclined to replace it yet. I just updated my map yesterday - I have the Western and Central Europe maps - and my hard drive is too small - I've been forced to use the zoning facility that TomTom thoughtfully provides.

I prefer to have all my maps on the device if possible. Can anyone please point me to a resource or link that will give me step by step instructions on how to replace my drive with a bigger one or with a solid state drive? I was really impressed with the document posted on dismantling and reassembling the 910 ..... but the GO 700 looks to be very different!

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks,
John

I've had my GO700 apart a couple of times (first time out of curiosity -- there are posts/pics of it way back when this forum/site first started), most recently to replace the battery. Each time I've taken it apart, I haven't been able to find the hard drive. I've only taken it apart as far as I needed to to fix or replace something, but I highly suspect that the hard drive on it is like soldered to the main board rather than something that you can just unplug and replace with something of a higher capacity. I have never even been able to find pictures of the GO700 hard drive, even on TomTom repair websites. I have been able to find 20GB GO910 hard drives, but they look like nothing I've seen on the inside of my GO700.

If you find out anything more, I hope you'll come back an update this thread.

Edit: Nevermind! I found something more (I think you did, too, in another thread). It's just a microdrive that's easily replaceable with a standard CF card. Instructions for how to do it are HERE.

Last edited:
TomTom Go Drive too small

Hi Chris,
Glad you found the (extremely good) web article on replacing the hard drive in a TomTom Go 700. There's a very useful complementary article at:

[ttg700] Replacing The Hard Drive - yourNAV | Forums

that you may want to take a look at>

I haven't yet plucked up courage to replace mine yet :eek: but the 8GB CF drive arrived last week and I'm girding my loins right now:rolleyes:. It sounds as if you're a lot braver than me!!

Regards,
John

Well, I can tell you that replacing the battery is significantly more difficult than switching out the hard drive for a CF card (as of yesterday, I've done both now).

A tip on the hard drive replacement -- you don't actually need to pull out that ribbon cable from the circuit board at the top of the unit. You can work around it and it can be a bear to get that (or any) ribbon cable back in place. I'm a career network engineer (now retired), so I've dealt with quite a few ribbon cables in my time...if you can avoid removing them then avoid it!

Otherwise, it was a relatively easy and smooth install.

The battery? Ugh. I felt like I was disassembling the entire unit! It was more tedious than difficult, but I get rather annoyed when a battery is not only not user replaceable, but very difficult or tedious for even a pro to replace. That's just bad design. LiIon batteries typically only last a few years. My GO700 is 6 years old, and yet it's just as usable as the first day I bought it. Obviously, the usable life of a GO700 is a lot longer than the life of the battery that they put in the center of the unit. Haha.

Another thing that annoys me is that I've seen videos on the internet of the GO700 successfully running Navcore v9.XX, but all TomTom will give us is Navcore v7.XX. I would pay a nominal fee to get the legal upgrade. Clearly, the GO700's hardware was before its time if it can run the latest Navcore, and I did pay $600 for my GO700, so it would be nice if TomTom would realize that we early adopters deserve a little more return on our original, overpriced investment.

Anyway, good luck with your upgrade! Let us know how it goes!

Chris, as a moderator, you have access to the Moderator forum, I think. If so, go hunting for the appropriate thread and you may find the N9 app version you want.

Yes, I read the tip (I thought on the forum I linked for you) that it's not necessary to take out the ribbon cable - so it's good to have confirmation that there's a get around. Glad you managed to sort yours OK. I'll maybe bite the bullet tonight and try to get it done.

I got my 700 in I think 2004 and got one for my daughter at the same time. Both are still going strong (touch wood). As far as I;m concerned it does the business - although I know the newer versions are slimmer and faster. My only reason for wanting to change anything is simply that I couldn't get my map set on the drive anymore after the recent maps update. Fortunately TomTom provides the zioning facility but its a PITA to have to install new maps to get some eastern European country maps and vice versa.

Good luck with tracking down the Navcore 9x.xx version. I'm not sure what benefits you will get ... maybe you can outline them and let us know how to do it?

I'll let you know if I hit any problems with the drive change.

All the best,
John

Last edited:
@dhn: But would it even be worth it to try? I mean, that would take me out of the map update loop, and would the features in Navcore 8 & 9 even work with the maps that I get from the map update service? Then I'd have to likely jump through hoops every time I want to update a map.

It's ridiculous that TomTom is not better supporting these devices. My GO700 has a microphone, bluetooth, etc. There are dozens of YouTube videos showing it works. Why won't TomTom officially release it?

Again, I paid more than 2x the price of what their top of the line model costs now. I shouldn't have to toss a perfectly working TomTom and buy a new one to get these newer features. The whole subject just pushes me more toward Google Nav/Maps and away from TomTom altogether.

Sorry for the rant. ;)

Supermod mvl is an expert when it comes to what app works with what map and what the ramifications of other applications are.

If he doesn't pop into this thread, just pm him about your concerns.

p.s. supermod Canderson isn't exactly chopped liver when it comes to all the ramifications either . :D

Hi Chris,

I agree with you! TomTom's approach to older models of their kit is shameful. But then I guess nothing will change!

I have to say that I don't have the faintest idea what benefits accrue from the Navcore 9x.xx upgrade but one things for certain, I would,t put my kit at risk either given TomTom's attitude. Poor do!

Supermod mvl sounds as if he may be the dog's wotsits when it comes to the mods you're talking about though ...

All the best,
John

None of the newer apps will add features to a GO700, they'll recoginize the GO700 serial number and disable any newer features.

Plus Tomtom's maps for the older devices have all the newer features stripped out of them too.

So you're pretty much stuck needing to replace it if you want the latest features. There's nothing stopping Tomtom from retrofitting the features software-wise or compatibility-wise, they just want to get another sale from your rather than give all the newer innovations away.

Hi mvl.

I got the impression from dhn that there are some work-arounds to get the later apps working on older machines. But from what you're saying, it seems that it really is not possible to get them working because the recognition of the older serial number blocks the installation of the app. All this in spite of the fact that apparetly the newer systems will actually work with the older kit.

So TomTom is deliberately blocking the continued use of older but perfectly serviceable machines, forcing users to buy a new unit if they want the more up to date software.

Surely this approach must be in contravention of consumer protection legislation? Has anyone questioned TomTom's approach directly with them?

Apologies if this has all been covered before.

John

No, what mvl is saying is that, while the newer application can be installed, tomtom's recognition of the model the app will be installed on results in potential new features of the app to be disabled on older models.

Tomtom lets you fully use features that came with the 2005 device, they just stopped adding new software features for free in 2007.

It's a standard practice in technology, for example iOS 4.3 doesn't work with older iPhones and iTouch models.

OK - well that's clear enough - thanks for the explanations mvl and dhn. Personally, I'm pretty happy with my Go 700, despite it being a bit bulky. It does most of the things I need from it that's for sure.

Many thanks for taking the trouble.

John

The newer Navcore versions intended for use with later models than your 700 all have extra memory fitted, this is required to run the IQ Routes, Advanced Lane Guidance, Reality View just to name a few of the items a 700 won't have available to it.

If you put a Navcore on to a 700 that supports the above functionality you also need a map containing the required data, without the map it is a pointless exercise. Getting such a map isn't possible as TomTom Home knows what device is connected to the PC. Anyone running fully working IQ Routes, Advanced Lane Guidance, Reality View etc on something like a Go-700 is running maps that were not obtained from the legitimate source.

Couple the issue of piracy and a device that will (at best) be unstable due to lacking the required memory and you can soon see why its not a good idea, at best it might work with a slow screen refresh rate and sub-optimal audio, at worst you might brick the unit just installing the Navcore! - Mike

Hi Mike.

That confirms what I had thought to be the case before I inadvertently started this thread - the older hardware is simply not up to the job of running all the elements of the modern version, both software and hardware.

From some comments I've seen elsewhare, (not on this forum), I had gained the impression that TomTom was physically preventing the use of the oldr kit with modern software. Not the case.

Thanks for the explanation - and also for your help with my original problem - fitting a bigger storage capability .... I'm just about to bite the bullet and follow the slideshow!

All the best,
John

From a programming standpoint, I can understand why something graphic intensive like a reality view MAY require extra RAM, but features like text-to-speech doesn't and advance lane guidance shouldn't (except in the case of poor programming). However, back in the day, via OpenTom my GO700 was playing 30 FPS movies perfectly. I don't think there's anything in a GPS app that's more graphic intensive than playing a 30 FPS movie. That would be REAL reality view.

My GO700 map has a lot of the files, data, and images that these new features require -- it's only my ancient Navcore version just doesn't know what to do with them.

Basically, I don't believe most of the hardware excuse. Most, if not all, of the features in, say, a XL335, would work on my GO700's hardware. In fact, except for physical screen size,the XL series is mostly a hardware downgrade from the GO700 when you directly compare hardware based features.

What I do believe is that TomTom thinks I'll buy a new device if they limit my software based upgrade options, and they couldn't be more wrong. I already gave them the better part of $600 for my GO700, not to mention probably at least that much in map updates which didn't used to be available via inexpensive subscription plans or one lifetime fee.

Unfortunately for TomTom, I bought an Android based HTC Evo phone. The Evo running Google Maps/Nav has almost every feature of even the newest TomTom device, newer/more accurate maps, and it's all free. I have satellite view, curbside view, text to speech, voice control of the device, lane guidance, etc. And that doesn't factor in all the non-GPS features if this device, which put it more in the category of a PC than a phone or GPS.

My point is that TomTom needs to realize that most of what it offers comes free with most modern mobile phones, and understand that it's long-time customers like me who are going to keep TomTom in business. Had they treated me better with software upgrades, when my GO700 does finally die, I would likely buy another TomTom. Now? No way. I'll just use my phone.

I know, I know...if you lose your data connection on your phone, you can't download maps, but the voice navigation and list of directions are still there, so it still works until you get reception again. I'm sure Google will eventually add the option to cache the maps more and mobile networks are only getting better reception wise, not worse.

TomTom needs to be careful and stop ticking off their most loyal and long-term customers.

Yes, I did already send most of the above to TomTom HQ via email. I'm sure it won't amount to anything, but I wanted everyone to know here that I wasn't just idly venting.

I will take that as a no. 7 years later nobody could help me lol
No new maps for this device in ages, so probably not much improvement even if we found someone who knows!

Ask a Question