TomTom Go 540 Car Installation

I have just purchased a Go 540 Live and would like to hard wire the cradle tyo a 12V source. Can anyone tell me if I can use any old spare mini USB car charger and cut the cigarette lighter plug off it and wire it directly to an ignition fed 12V source. I have a CLK Cab and the main fuse box is directly below where I wish to mount the unit so should be easy.

Just unsure if a straight 12v feed to a USB plug plugged in to the back pof the screen mount will be OK.

Thanks.

DO NOT CUT THE PLUG OFF

If you wire it up the way you describe you will create very expensive smoke!

Go to Maplins and purchase a ciggy socket or two way ciggy socket, cut the plug off that and wire it to the fuse box or the back of the existing ciggy socket, make sure you get the polarity correct, the center pin is positive, the outer barrel being negative.

Now insert the TomTom supplied charger into the socket and bind with PVC tape, bury the whole lot behind the dash - When I get home I will add some pictures of my 940 installation as it details this method quite well - Mike

Thanks Mike. I did think that may be the case and in fact have a few 12v sockets bought for our boat which I have not yet fitted so will simply use one of those.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Ask a Question