TomTom GO 1000 Map Installation

Hi guys,

I am a first time user of GPS units and I am just starting to get used to using one. I just bought a TomTom GO 1000 in Australia, and it has Australian maps loaded. I also claimed my international map bonus and in the myTomTom web browser check for new items, it appears that I have got that free international map and is available to download.

Can I actually download this and install it? Because I read in the forums that GO 1000 cannot download maps and install (not yet anyway until they fix myTomTom). I have also read that many people downloading maps from myTomTom web broswer and installing have corrupted their units. I am just worried if I download the international map and install it, it will turn my GO 1000 into a useless brick.

Thanks for your help and this wonderful forum.

And a darn good thing you checked first!

That model (and 2X, Via, Start 20 and Go 800) are NOT capable of adding maps other than updates to existing ones, if then.

So Aussies with the special offer can't take advantage at this time. I'd call OZ support at:
1300 135 604

for further clarification on how this special map offer can be implemented ................ and WHEN!

Go 1000

Hi dhn,

Thanks for your reply.

I was just wondering, what would happen if I select the international map from myTomTom (because it already appears in my account - new items available) and press download with my GO 1000 connected to the computer... Will it download and install? On my GPS unit options, I have the option to select a map to use - currently only Australia is on there.

Of if I press download, will it just make my unit a useless brick? I was actually about to try this when you posted your reply.

I wish I could give you a straight answer. I know the Aussie map by itself is not large and I don't know which other map you are choosing.

What has been happening for map updates for many is that the original map is deleted by MyTomTom and then supposedly replaced by an updated map. If the install gets screwed up -- and it has been for some -- the user is left with no maps.

And the BIG problem is that you can't make a backup of your unit's contents prior to attempting a map update, let alone trying for an **additional** map for your unit.

It all MAY work out for you and I hope it does ............

I'd call CS at the number I provided and query them about what should happen and what protection you have if things DON['T work out as they should..........

Report back in either case.

My personal bet is you will NOT be able to get the additional map and I hope MyTomTom doesn't even try, in case it deletes your Aussie map anyway.

Hi dhn,

I updated
- the navigator software to the latest version
- iit ran a few updates, which I don't know what they are (it just said on the screen updating, don't disconnect the device)
- i also downloaded and installed the latest Australian map - latest map guarantee

Does this make a difference? And did any of this mess up my original pre-loaded Australian map?

By the way, it's the South East Asia Map - I was thinking of taking a holiday there in the next few months, that's why I chose it. I've actually never been out of Australia in my entire life. And I hear from my friends Asia is wonderful.

I'm glad that part has worked out for you.

Do make the call to CS about dealing with the Bonus Map, though.

- i also downloaded and installed the latest Australian map - latest map guarantee

Does this make a difference?

TomTom HAVE managed to get the latest Map Guarantee working OK, so you can update the map you had on the device when new now. But what they haven't got sorted for some reason is adding EXTRA maps.

And did any of this mess up my original pre-loaded Australian map?

Well yes... by downloading the new map version, the old one will have gone completely, so you could say its messed up! But if the new map is working OK, it doesn't really matter does it?

But to us old-timers who were raised on backing up everything, especially maps, so you could always go back to a previous version, the whole thing just stinks!

Hi,

Is there any way to recover the old map, before it was replaced by the latest map guarantee? Can I use data recovering software for my TomTom GO 1000 and recover the old map? And store this somewhere on my hard drive, and when myTomTom is fixed be able to restore this only if I need it?

Thanks for all your help

The old map has gone, data recovery software is useless as the TomTom device is no longer treated as a mounted drive by your computer.

This is the main reason I will not recommend the newer products from TomTom, the inability to perform a basic back up to the PC which I see as a vital step in using this sort of technology.

You do see people harping on about not needing backups because its all stored in the "Cloud" well as far as I am concerned its "lost in the clouds" and never to be seen again - Mike

Hi. I asked TomTom about this a while ago. They couldn't provide me with a straightforward answer - whether I can install the map on the device without deleting the Australian map or not. They just said please wait for future improvements.

Anyway, I noticed in my myTomTom 'My New Items' webpage that I have 2 new items - the bonus international map and a Navigator update (65.8 MB, version 10.603). Can someone update me on whether I can backup my device to the computer hard drive and whether I can safely install the bonus international map without deleting the Australian map?

I am inclined to wait until a backup option comes along then I will backup my entire device. Then I will update the GO 1000 with the bonus international map and the navigator software.

I am scared that if I apply the navigator update that it will mess up my device - I would feel much comfortable if I had an entire backup.

Can someone please advise me?
Thanks.

Tomtom said you'd be able to remove/reinstall previously purchased maps within a couple months.

I doubt Tomtom will ever let you backup/restore licensed content like maps and applications. One of the key reasons for the app 10.x device lockdown was to prevent piracy of licensed content. It appears they will eventually remember licenses on the server and allow reinstalls (like iTunes & Android Market), rather than allowing backups of licensed content.

Tomtom already permits backups of all non-licensed content and favorites, I think that's all you're going to get.

My guess is that Tomtom will never delete a different-geography map without prompting you first, that is how things worked on app 9.x. However, I've never had a multi-map app 10.x device, so I can't confirm myself.

What if my current Australian map got deleted by accident and there are no maps at all - the Australian map that was originally loaded on the device when I bought the GO 1000 device - would TomTom give provide me another download and reinstall? I have heard many users say that their map has been accidentally deleted.

Will they also provide me with another download and reinstall of the bonus international map if it also gets deleted as well?

And what is your recommendation on downloading and installing the Navigator 65.8 MB, version 10.603? Is this safe and will downloading and installing this version mess up my device? I am very concerned about this.

Just downloading the new application shouldn't be an issue but your map concerns are legitimate. Honestly, just make sure you have OZ Customer Support's number handy:

1300 135 604

What if my current Australian map got deleted by accident and there are no maps at all
Will they also provide me with another download and reinstall of the bonus international map if it also gets deleted as well?

These are questions we simply cannot answer, I'm afraid.

If TomTom know the answers themselves (which I doubt) they haven't told anyone else yet!
We are as much in the dark as you are.

you can download new maps for them, they email you the link, it's a special installation method, you can't purchase new maps in the conventional way just yet, speak to tomtom direct, or via emails, and they will sort you out

What if my current Australian map got deleted by accident and there are no maps at all

These are questions we simply cannot answer, I'm afraid.

If TomTom know the answers themselves (which I doubt) they haven't told anyone else yet!
We are as much in the dark as you are.

back in June, I downloaded the Europe map for my Go1000 after a brief series of emails regarding the "free map bonus" as they offered a selection of 15 maps, which could have just been covered by the individual europe map...as I was visiting all these European countries and required the full Europe map, they agreed to providing the full europe map free of charge

I upgraded to the Go1050world soon after anyway, as i was unhappy with the screen size

you can also pay to download extra maps over the phone, I am upgrading to the Middle East and Africa maps on my Go1050world via this method

You DO surprise me chikoroll....

You seem to be using a method that no-one else is aware of!

Could you tell us exactly how you installed these maps to the Go1000 once you had downloaded them manually from a web link?

Attached is an email from and to them with my go1000, have blanked all private things

there was also a link with it that opened a tomtom website, clicked the buttons and the Go1000 downloaded it (with mytomtom open)

I had to send them a scan of my flight itinerary to display the extended trip

Thank you for purchasing a TomTom GPS and redeeming the bonus international map. We have assigned the map of Europe (Western & Central Europe) to your account.

Please follow the instructions below to download your map.

1. Connect your TomTom GPS to your computer using the USB cable supplied and switch it on. The MyTomTom programme will start (this is a webpage within your browser) and automatically checks if a new map is available.

2. Make sure you are logged into your MyTomTom account by clicking on the MyTomTom icon on the top right of your screen

3. There may be a software update ready for download (Navigator update). If you are offered a Navigator update please un-tick the map update and keep only the Navigator update ticked. Click Get items to download the Navigator update . Once this process has completed, you can re-tick the map update and proceed to download the map.

4. Ensure there is a tick next to the map update then click Get items.

5. Click Start downloading. MyTomTom downloads the map and then installs it to your TomTom GPS.
Important: Keep your navigation device connected.

6. Once the installation is complete, the status in the MyTomTom application changes to Your navigation device is up-to-date. You can then disconnect your navigation device from your computer. To switch between countries, go to the settings menu and select switch maps.

Best Regards,

TomTom Australia & New Zealand

Sent: Mon 30/05/2011 12:55 PM
To: Australia Promotion
Subject: Tomtom Go1000 international map offer

? First Name --
? Surname ----
? Contact Number -----
? Email Address ----
? Last 4 digits of the product barcode ----
? Map number and name (see clause 11) 1. United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland

Regarding this, I am leaving for a trip to everywhere in Europe on the 5th, for a year or 2....

is there any download available for the map of the whole of europe?... or should i just return this and try another product?
TomTom Go1000

Thankyou -

Ahhh... Thanks.

But that's something very different from what you said!
you can download new maps for them, they email you the link, it's a special installation method,

TomTom simply assigned the map to your account and MyTomTom downloaded it in the normal way. That's quite normal.

It's not the same as them sending you a web link and you downloading it yourself manually.

As for buying maps over the phone, I suspect the person at the other end is just tapping your details into the website, just as you could do yourself. :)

Ask a Question