TomTom Go 1000 Change Destination Whilst Driving?

sbr

Hi all

I am about to buy a new TomTom, have settled on the Go Live 1000, but have just read a review that mentions that it isn't possible to alter the destination whilst driving, you have to pull over and stop to be able to do it.

Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible to alter routes/destinations whilst on the move be it via voice command or via buttons on screen?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I am about to buy a new TomTom, have settled on the Go Live 1000, but have just read a review that mentions that it isn't possible to alter the destination whilst driving, you have to pull over and stop to be able to do it.

Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible to alter routes/destinations whilst on the move be it via voice command or via buttons on screen?
I do not have that specific model, but I have never heard of such a problem with any TomTom.

One issue that I have heard of is that if you start driving before the TomTom has a fix on your current location, it will take longer to be able to plan a route, because the unit has more work to do to establish where you are at the moment.

This normally does not require an excessive amount of time, but it can take noticeably longer if you are in a location that is a long distance from where you were when the GPS was turned off. (For example, if you took the GPS with you in your luggage on a cross-country flight.) If you are also driving while the unit is attempting to get a fix on its current location, this could delay the acquisition time further, and give the appearance of

Although it is a different model, and could potentially behave differently than the GO LIVE 1000, I can say that I regularly change the destination of my XXL540 while driving. Because my unit knows where I am at that time, it has no problem planning a route.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

It Certainly IS Possible to Change Destination While Driving!

Hello, sbr! I'm new here too.

To follow up on the previous post, I've owned a GO 2535M LIVE for about six months now. This is the 2000 series model that is the North American equivalent of a 1000 series model in Europe. Here is what I can tell you:

You can use voice control to change destination while driving with commands such as:

• Drive to an address: this is a "one shot" entry, the whole address in one sentence (number, street name, city), not a step by step entry, and it works very well.
  • Drive to a favorite (you'll get a list of your favorites displayed to choose from, screen by screen, six entries at a time).
  • Drive to the nearest xxxxxxx (known store brand).
  • Drive Home.
  • Minimize delays.
  • Cancel route.

There may be other options, but those are the ones that I can tell you for certain you can use because I know them from personal experience.

Otherwise, entering a new destination manually is possible, as with any brand of navigation device I have ever used, but it's not something that I ever consider safe to do while driving. It's just not worth the risk of increased insurance premiums to me, but it has nothing to do with comparing TomTom to other brand choices.

There are some "safety" options on my Garmin that disable user entry menus while driving, but I tried it once and hated it. There is a similar safety setting on the GO 2535 that will "Show essential menu buttons while driving", but I haven't tried it because of my previous experience with the Garmin, so I can't describe how that works. Perhaps it explains what the review you read referred to.

Last edited:
Another quick answer....

I have a Go1000 and while driving with a route set, you just tap once for the main menu and "Change route" is the very first icon on that screen.

That then takes you to another screen with the following choices:
Change destination
Avoid roadblock
Calculate alternative
Travel via...
Avoid part of route
Minimise delays

So it's pretty comprehensive!

Also, one of the replies above mentions that it takes longer to plan a route if you don't have a GPS fix. Well, that's true for older models, but the Go1000 etc. will just say "Do you want to use your last known location as the departure point?" if they don't have a good satellite lock yet, and that solves it for most situations.

Last edited:
Another quick answer....

That then takes you to another screen with the following choices:
Minimise delays

And here's yet another quick answer! I should have added "Minimize delays" to my list of voice commands above as well, so I'll edit the post.

Ask a Question