TomTom Gets in Bed w/Apple

They are also using OpenStreetMaps

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-tomtom-ios-6-maps/

Been wondering exactly which data service is replacing Google as Apple's map provider? According to these leaked screenshots (shown above) from the iOS 6 developer beta running on an iPhone 4S, it appears to be TomTom. The company is no stranger to iOS, as its navigation app and car kit have been available on the iPhone since 2009. On an interesting note, the maps application specifically mentions "data from TomTom, others," which means there may be other suppliers that aren't getting called out by name. We'll keep you posted as we hear more what's going on behind-the-scenes.

Update: TomTom has independently confirmed to us that it indeed "has signed a global agreement with Apple for maps and related information."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078987/apple-tomtom-openstreemap-ios-6-maps-app

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57450800-37/apple-taps-tomtom-for-new-ios-maps-app-data/

iOS 6 and TomTom Sales

Apple has announced iOS 6. Part of the changes include replacing the Google provider Maps app with one provided by TomTom.

Although this is great, I have to wonder how this we effect TomTom sales for Apple devices? Why pay for an app that you are getting for free?

Depends a lot on the quality of the application and how you are using it. Will the in-house Apple app support the TomTom IQRoutes technology, for example? Or will it be necessary to use the TomTom app to get benefits of that nature?

I only beat him by 2 days.

There is a lot more than TomTom involved with this. Maybe a dozen other companies some that had been purchased by Apple in the recent past.

To integrate all these different parts together Apple must have had access to TomToms basic program. The WSJ said that Apple had been in talks with TomTom for a year on this.

I firmly believe that Apple has a purchase option tied in here somewhere.

Even if that's not the case TomTom will get entry anywhere Apple goes with Nav potential like the dozen automakers that are putting a Siri button on their steering wheels.

TomTom gets access to 10s of millions of iOS6 devices as gps probes as part of this along with all the Blackberrys they are picking up giving them data maybe as much or more than any other traffic provider. Google loses what TomTom is gaining.

Siri is also being extended to the iPad 2.

There are some iOS6 demo videos on youtube from people who have downloaded iOS6 as the beta.

It is not necessary for TeleAtlas to build the maps in a TomTom readable format. They build maps in all kinds of other formats for other applications. The only way the TomTom maps that you and I receive would play on an Apple would be if Apple was using the TomTom application. Understand that since TomTom bought TeleAtlas outright a few years back, discussions with Apple for map product would be with TomTom since they're calling the shots on corporate strategy overall, including their 'new' mapping division.

I'm not getting the point here. Was this in answer to what I wrote?

It is not necessary for TeleAtlas to build the maps in a TomTom readable format. They build maps in all kinds of other formats for other applications. The only way the TomTom maps that you and I receive would play on an Apple would be if Apple was using the TomTom application. Understand that since TomTom bought TeleAtlas outright a few years back, discussions with Apple for map product would be with TomTom since they're calling the shots on corporate strategy overall, including their 'new' mapping division.

No, it had nothing to do with your post specifically. I was responding to rfielder who said
Although this is great, I have to wonder how this we effect TomTom sales for Apple devices? Why pay for an app that you are getting for free?
I am noting that while Apple may be getting maps from TomTom, it may well be that only with the TomTom app itself might one get the full advantage of features like IQRoutes, etc.

Ask a Question